If I didn't want to live/be around a certain race/s, would you consider that to be racist or just preferance?

If I wanted to live in a town or area where only my race was or I didn't want to be around a certain race/s, is that racist or just preference? I ask because I see so many on here say that not being attracted to a certain race/s is just a preference. Its funny because people who are actually honest about being racist (very very few are actually honest these days) against a certain race/s would find the race/s that they were racist against attractive either. Thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the reason. I prefer to live in a majority black area because I feel more accepted and welcomed. When I used to live in a more white area there were neighbors who would literally turn their head if you tried to speak but be quick to call the cops or question you about your company.

Most Helpful Guy

• That preference thing to me is quite confusing to me because one one of the essence of racist people if not preferring one or more races. However a definition of a racist anyway is about the belief of one race being superior to justify the unfairness being implemented which in this case racial preference technically is not racism.

But in romantic scene, racial preference can be a tiny bit borderline racist in my opinion. When somebody say they aren't attracted to certain races he/she is more likely associating that one group of race to negative attribute for that person to decide ''that person of a certain race is not good for me and doesn't achieve my standards'' whether it's physical appearance (I suspect the main factor), cultural indifference leasing to assumption of incompatibility etc therefore leading to non attraction.
    However that doesn't necessarily mean the person is racist because he/she may only have established racial segregation to her/his love physical attraction department and not to anything else.. That person with a racial preference may not believe in racial superiority at all and that see equality and does not believe in racist practices.

Racist is more extreme form, it is about hate and discrimination. I think racial preference alone doesn't qualify that because what you want in a partner can be influenced by many things, some people it's race (which can sound racist). It's a tricky subject.

What Girls Said 2

• As long as you don't say anything derogatory based on racial differences, I don't think that's racist. A whole town with just your race is a bit excessive, I'm thinking more like the block or street you live on.
    Naturally, every person wants to be more around their own people, which is more based on religion/cultural similarities, but in some cases that'll branch out to include race as well.

• You must be from stormfront. org lmao 😂

What Guys Said 3

• It is racist by definition, but you reserve the right to be racist if you choose. Its called freedom.

• How's that? Why does the preference thing only apply to people if they aren't attracted to a certain race?

• I never said that only being attracted to a certain race is a "preference". Its also by definition racist, but again, you reserve the right to be racist if you choose. In that sense i, myself am by definition racist, but i have every right to be so, because i live in the United States of America.

• Not wanting to date another race is preference, not wanting to be around them at all is racist.

• How? You don't have anything against them you just don't want to be around them. That's the same as not having anything against them but not being attracted to them

• Like it or not its still a preference. One is just more accepted than the other.

• In order not to want to be in someone's presence means you've taken exception to them, so you must have something against them in order for you to want to segregate yourself from them because their mere being there bothers you, so you're prejudiced because they aren't doing anything TO you, so you are racist. 'Nuff said.

• I wouldn't consider that totally racist depending on your reasoning. Not being attracted to certain races is racist to me though.