How do YOU deal with awkward silences?

Do you say something? What do you say?
Or do you just suffer through it?
What do you do?
How do YOU deal with awkward silences?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 51

• I start rubbing my nipples while maintaining eye contact. ಠ⌣ಠ

• Well considering that I am often the source of that awkward silence... though thinking on it now, I would have to say that if I'm the source and it is my intent to exercise the silence I believe it becomes something else, I believe it becomes an uncomfortable if not outright ominous silence. To be sure I know this sounds evil, let me explain though. I believe that everything serves a purpose and has weight, so when such a silence appears I believe it is there for a reason so there shouldn't be any great hurry to dismiss or get rid of it. When these sorts of moments occur, I usually take the time to think and observe. It is at these moments people who loathe such "awkward" silences will tip their hand and you will know exactly where they stand. At that moment I will weigh the situation and decide how to use this information.

• It goes a couple ways...
    If I actually like the person and want to talk to them, I quickly try to think of a conversation starter. Or, if I feel like the conversation has gone on long enough, I'll try to think of a conversation closer and an excuse to leave.

If I am not a big fan of the person, I'll just stand there in silence and let the awkwardness brew.

I'm quiet enough where I can just let the awkwardness continue and not suffer. I guess I'm used to it 😅

• It's almost always me who breaks the awkward silence, usually with a bit of humour to lighten up the mood! :P

• Can you please tell me how you do that? Since I have lots of awkward silences lol

• Lol I loath awkward silences lol but if I'm at the gym I can just do a set soo yeah sadly can't do that in other places lol.

It's best to steer a conversation towards common ground to make it as long and as um engaging as possible, hard to do with strangers but with someone you know pretty easy.

• I just stare blankly at them until they say something. If I can't think of something to say that's my mind telling me I've reached the end of my ability to converse. It's time for my alone time. If I can slink away I will, if I can't then lord help us both.

• I'm like, "So..." and then come up with a random topic, reiterate a previous point, or ask another question about the subject.

• I turn up blank space.

• You dont

'They' always say you've met the right person or your with the right person if its a comfortable silence

But I guess like anything else, find some bullshit to say, bullshit is better than silence lol... its less about what you say and more about your tone

• If you want to break awkwardness then sing this song.

https://youtu.be/ajmI1P3r1w4

• I don't feel awkward with silence actually haha
    I just hang through it and text on my phone or whatever hahaha

• Here's me and a girl at work.
    Morning, hey. (Straightforward look) used to be cheerful sounding toward me and smiling etc.
    Later at break I ask how's the weather? She says it's cold still, hides away won't look vs before she would go into detail, look at me and ask questions to keep convo going. Talks to the other person instead of me. Awkward silence the whole time like she doesn't want me there

• By not being good in dealing with them :o :o
    I'm always feeling a little awkward when I need to reopen the discussion... rarely have inspiration :-(

• I fart!
    Oops
    *blush*

• I hate it when people act awkward. I see it as a sign of weakness personally, to me it is just playing games and I do not like that one bit.
    I usually deal with them by crushing the awkwardness with jokes or a good story.

• I'm very bad with awkward silences, and I even think some silences are awkward that most other people don't see that way. I try to bring up a subject whenever I think such a silence has come up, but I don't always know what to talk about.

• I find an excuse to break it and walk away.

• lol I don't deal with them at all I just survive them.

• I try to break them.

• I just say whatever comes to mind. Start a conversation with just saying something. It's only awkward if you think it is.

• I would just stay silent because If I break the silent it would then be just awkward. No silent awkward.

• It depends, but if I'm on a date and awkward silences happen constantly then I end the date early and figure, it's probably not gonna work out.

• A good loud fart.

• I enjoy it

• It can be awkward cause i have a major shy side and i usually just say hi

• I like awkward silences

• I'd try to say something to revive the chat

• I try to say something... whatever feels right in that moment or I think he/she might interest...

• when i was younger i used to say "Awkward silence, gay baby born" but now i just sit there and laugh

• Awkward silences are a tricky situation with various ways of dealing with them.

For me, I fart.

• More from Guys
    21

What Girls Said 28

• MISHA! omg your amazing posting that photo lol i love Supernatural, specificly Misha and Jensen :P. If there is awkward silence i just take it as a sign we just don't click well and move on... i don't try to say anything or stay awkward for very long... i just put it out of my mind and then don't ever be in the same room as them again lol.

• Supernatural is love and life ❤

• Haha okay I'll check em out maybe ;)

• If you love hot actors you will love Ichabod :P dat hot Colonial accent... and the Colonial clothes he wears... so nice... *swoon^

• Nothing is awkward unless you make it awkward. That's my motto.

The silence might be uncomfortable for you, but they might be treasuring it. Unless they look as uncomfortable as you are, my advice would be to leave it and use the time to plan dinner or work out why you're feeling awkward.

If they are as uncomfortable, try cracking a joke or bringing something up that you're both interested in and would enjoy talking about.

• I always pretend like there's no "awkward" silence to make it seem like Im not feeling uncomfortable even when I am.

• I talk a lot so there is no awkward silence with me huehuehue I always try to reanimate the conversation. That's why I love having talkative friends

• Worst thing to do is say "soooo? " or some thing related to that because it'll only make things more awkward just find something to talk about

• If I was flirting... I just kiss them lol

If I wasn't, I keep the conversation going. I can talk about almost anything. I love meeting new people and it's amazing to get to know each other. I always have something to ask

• I usually try to think of things to say and if not then I politely make am excuse to leave

• I'm not a babbler so I don't mind awkward silences.

• It does not bother me. A person can not be interesting all the time. I prefer it than being totally ridicilous lol

• it's only awkward if you think it's awkward
    *embrace the silence*

• I usually have my mouth full in these occasions and nobody complains about it...

• I can ramble on for hours so if there is an awkward silence it's usually from the other party so I just start talking about something, anything to keep the silence away.

• I saw any random thing that comes to my head, Awkward silences are deadly!!!

• I tend to blabber about whatever pops in my head if I'm having an awkward convo lol

Usually it leads to another convo!

• I am always the one who breaks it... LOL :D I can't help but find it funny when it is completely silent so I laugh and then everyone else laughs also :D

• I have a bad habit or merping when i'm in an awkward situation...
    it makes things worse.

• I feel like my go-to is "Wow. I am so tired/hungry"

• Be with the silence...

• i try to fill them with putty

• I try to wait till the person I talk to in the chat room on imvu says something but they dont say anything then I try and leave or try to get them to talk a little

• I just look down.. And smile/laugh if the poor person makes a joke or something..

• "Wow, this is really awkward, huh?"

• I laugh it off

• I change the topic.

• I have seriously got the same problem.

• Bring up some different subject. Just look around and talk about things you see it

• I usually ramble about something around us and hope that it triggers some kind of conversation