Are light-skinned black people really mixed?

Like, are they just light or is their family mixed?

0|0
10|13

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a fact that they are more mixed. Go find a light skin black person in Africa that you'd find in the US, it's not going to happen precisely because it requires someone to mix to be that much lighter. Which isn't a bad thing.

People claim they're fully black because we culturally still presume the racist "one drop rule" when we speak about people who are black.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends. It doesn't always mean mixed. There are light skinned black people in Africa who have no genetic contributions from other races.

If you're talking about the descendants of slaves in America, Caribbean, etc then yes usually they are mixed both light skinned and dark skinned. Now that doesn't mean its immediate, as in one of their parents or grandparents being a different race. Their light skin can come from an ancestor generations ago.

So the short answer
    Light skinned black person ≠ mixed
    Dark skinned black person ≠ not mixed
    Mixed ≠ black

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• No guarantee that's the case, but it's usually true. But besides that point, there really aren't any "pure breds" around anymore. Everyone and their mother has some percentage of Indian or Portuguese in their ethnicity mix up. I'd be shocked if someone was through and through African heritage

2|0
    0|0
  • Most African-American are mixed with another race whether it be Caucasian or Native American. Seeing a light skinned black doesn't mean they're half and half per se, they could easily just have either a dark/light skin parent or two light skin parents.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think Mixed

0|0
    0|0
  • As a black person, not ALL light skinned people are mixed

0|1
    0|0
  • Very few people are purely one race.

2|0
    0|0
    • it comes down to how many people have been mixed in your family iv met lot of light skinned black guys who were always saying there is a diff between shades of black

• could be either one

0|0
    0|0
  • yes. because black people really are supposed to be black

0|0
    0|0
  • Some of us are. I am if you count my ancestry.

0|0
    0|0
  • Light skin black people have more race mixing in their ancestral line.

1|0
    0|0
  • I hear according to the Bible that this one black woman explain to me with her beliefs that we are all of mixed race that there isn't just one race of people.

1|0
    0|0
  • Some are, you can usually tell if they are because of the type of hair if they are mixed but others are just light skinned

2|0
    0|0
  • Not all of them. Some of them (like myself) have part Caucasian blood from Caucasian parents or grand parents and other light-skinned people don't have Caucasian parents. In other words, both your parents can be dark-skinned and their baby can turn out to be light-skinned.

5|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• Well we're all mixed up technically. But no, not all lightskin people are mixed like you're thiking.

2|0
    0|0
  • I'm light-skinned because my family is black and Native American.

0|1
    0|0
  • No they're just a lighter brown it happens. Like a lot of ethnicities on this planet.

0|1
    0|0
  • No not necessarily

1|0
    0|0
  • No doubt they are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they are... either black mixed with white, potoguese, Indian , Carib etc

0|0
    1|0
  • Some are mixed and some aren't. I actually have a lot of light skinned friends that are black.

2|0
    0|0
  • someone in the family was mixed for you to be light skinned it means you have some Caucasian in you or some other race with lighter skin color

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmm they can be light skinned, or they can be mixed.

1|0
    0|0