(Grammar question) "What he said is right" or "what he said was right"?

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe it is "What he said is right"?

• Thanks, hot white girl ^^

Most Helpful Guy

• I think in most cases "is right" is right.

If what he said is no longer right but was right at the time he said it, then "was right" would be right.

Also, I think in storytelling or writing, you can say "was right" to provoke certain emotions.

For instance, if someone in a story said "Lucy is dead," then someone responds "No way, I don't beleive you," the narrator could then state: what he said was right. Lucy is dead.

I am unsure as to the grammatical rule behind that logic though... I just think it works, I may be wrong.

What Girls Said 1

• both can work. the only thing that's causing confusion here is a collision of tenses.

"what he said is right" is a combination of past and present tense, whereas "what he's saying is right" is more consistent grammatically, even though it can still work.

"what he said was right" is also more consistent in terms of past tense.

What Guys Said 3

• What I think 'is right' is used when it's recent past, or you want to indicate that it's still right, or you just came upon some consequence related to that 'right saying'

'was right' is used when it's farther past, or that's no longer right, or accompanied by some action that was done in accordance with that 'right' thing.

• If you are talking about the present even then the 1st sentence is right with 'said' changing into 'is saying' but if you are talking about a past event. then the 2nd sentence is completely right

• Both can be valid, it depends on the time context.