Have you ever been a victim of racism?

Today I was out with a friend, and there was a manifestation for the African and Syrian refugies, we were looking at the manifestation from far away when an old guy came to us, he asked us what was our faith and we told him Islam, and he was like pffff, you should go back to your country you and all the refugies, I hate muslims and Islam and you should leave the religion. He said that he's a priest and he told us that in his hometown in Russia we and all the refugies would be sent to prison. I told him that it's a shame for a priest to have such hateful speech but he kept going on so I kindly told him that I had to go. But it made me extremly sad.. Were you ever in this kind of situation?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes! I experienced it (with my another Indian friend) in Germany once by a Pakistani guy. While I was crossing the bridge over the Rhine and he spoke in my ear "You bloody dirty Indian. I want to throw you in this river." I felt so bad during that time. I assume dirty because I am brownish.

I was not involved in this another case but there was a Polish driver in Germany who asked my bearded (sikh) friend to go and take seat at last in the bus or he won't drive the bus forward. The same driver asked my female friends from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh to get down the bus. Then the same driver told these girls that they needed to be washed in a washing machine because they were brown.

My German friend was beaten up in Turkey by 24 Turkish men for going and mingling with a Turkish lady! They called him Nazi man. So double standard of them.

My African friend was beaten up by German police under a false accusation which was not even clear. He was just in the bank taking some cash out from ATM and suddenly he is beaten up by cops. FOR NO REASON.

I witnessed all these from the way my friends suffered after their instances.

What Guys Said 35

• With the violent history of most forign ( middle Eastern ) cultured most people are conditioned to feel the way the priest felt. Who's fault is this? Those who did the violent deed not those whom conditioned them selves to not want then here

• Let me ask you a question: What race are Muslims?

• We don't have a race he was hating on us not only because we were Muslims, but because I'm Arab and my friend is black.

• More peaceful poor refugees this time fighting each other. But I thought Islam is the religion of peace?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoJIDgTKc6k

• You can preach your anti European propaganda to someone else. It doesn't work on me.
      I see those invaders every day where I live. And I say again, I didn't colonised anyone. You can't make me feel guilty for what I am.

• no I haven't been in your situation in particular. damn that is shitty. I might have lost my shit lol.

• Race? Isn't Islam a religion, which any person of any race can join or leave?

Arab Muslims aren't the only Muslims. There are Southeast Asian Muslims, African Muslims, Indian Muslims, White Muslims, Latino Muslims...

• yep. because i´m german white, people assumed i´m a nazi.

• I went to high school in Southern California, Los Angeles to be exact, and whites are a minority here. I once was called a Nazi by some Mexicans because I had blue eyes.

• nazi or a terrorist
      i will pick a nazi :3

• lol it´s not significantly better xD

• As a black American, I face subtle racial discrimination all the time (such as people being overly cautious around me and showing discomfort in their body language).

But overt acts / words of racism? Not very often.

----

People are assholes. You'll get used to it!

• After my neighbors in college making up stories about walking in their apartment unannounced to get me and my roommates evicted... no story about racism surprises me anymore!

• I agree with you that was wrong of him , gotta watch them priest they have a history
    of having skeletons in their closet and believe me it's not a pretty picture ,
    Yes, i was victim of racism i let this Mexican woman sit down with her children
    and tried being nice to her and she turned on me , grabbed her children and left
    but you will meet good and bad in all people.

• What's a Russian guy doing in Tunisia? lol
    I was once a victim of racism since the Korean kids seemed not to like White people for some reason. I always wanted to play soccer with them since they were they only ones that did. For some reason the White people at that school mostly played basketball.

I didn't take those assholes too seriously.

• there are idiots everywhere in the world. it's quite sad... but luckily the vast majority thinks different.

if I could replace every single one of them with a normal Muslim family, I'd totally do it. I don't care about peoples religion, I respect their faith as long as they respect mine too. that's all I want

• Religion is a illogical way to live life... we get its your choice but if you truly follow religion, by default you will look down on others EVEN if you claim you dont. Because there's not one religion so you will put up walls and barriers when confronted with other ideologies.. people have killed countless numbers of people due to this so called different belief

So expect it if you wanna follow religion, because not everyone in the world is the same religion as you... and most of them will tell you NOT to follow others and follow yours...

When you choose religion, you choose to fight a war with everything - you should know that before following it

• Rasicm yes, people will racially descriminate anywhere... it always happens

More common in the dating scene

• Because it makes the person feel inferior to you soley based on their color or ethnicity

Its borderline racist, its discriminating someone based on color or ethnicity

Saying you dont want to date someone because their skin is black, brown, or yellow is bascially indirectly saying all black, brown, or yellow skin are below you and youd never date anyone with that color skin or anyone who is born from a particulary country

Preferences can be rasict but racisms is not part of preferences... see the difference kinda?

I know we all do it, i get that... and its socially acceptable because its not as bold as saying your not hired because your chinese... but it doesn't mean its not discrimination

• So are you trying to tell me that me as well as others don't have a right to have certain dating preferences based on race? Really? And why am I not receiving alerts for this? I see your point, I see the logic behind it, I just disagree. Men and women should be free to date or not date someone based on whatever standards they want.

• I'm a white-guy attracted to black women. Ever been to a primarily-black church while being the only white guy there?

Totally different perspective than what I was used to at 19 years-old, a major paradigm shift.

Now I'm 29 and still very much attracted to black women, living in Tennessee. I could make a list but not in 2500 words or less, lol

• Nope, but I have been faced with a lot of ignorance when I go a bit north of my city to "white folks country".

• There are scholarships and clubs and such that I'm ineligible for on account of my race, and I'm certain it does me no favors in the hiring process, but no, I've never experienced anything like that. That's completely out of line.

I'm in love with a Syrian Muslim woman, and I pray that she won't face encounters like that in the US.

• Racism? Never, people in my country victims of racism are normally black people, but there are laws against it. You have every right to be sad though.

• Yes, yes I have.

• Funny. That's not racism. Islam/Muslim is a religion not a race.

• WHen I wrote he kept going, it's because he asked us from where we came exactly and he added another layer. :) He was racist.

• My white friend called me a honkey once.

• I'm white, the few times people have been "racist" to me didn't affect me really. It hurts more when people give me a hard time for being a man. Being made fun of for being white has no affect on me. But damn OP, you weren't joking when you said once that you were a victim of racism because you were Arab. In the future, I wouldn't even bother talking to anyone in public about race or religion if I were you, it invites trouble.

• Lol I am white and grew up in hawaii..
    Fucking Haoli was my nickname by all my local friends.

• Yes I have... And it was in a dance club where I'd usually go
    But now for some reason it had bouncers at the door, and those refused to let me and a friend in because we weren't white
    They just lost a customer

• Yes, but mostly deal with racial ignorance

• Is Islam a country lol?
    All the time I'm brown and it happens on train, buses, airplanes stores everywhere

• I'm Brown with a funny sounding name, of course I have!

I just brush it off!

• I'm Hispanic in the U. S.

Care to guess what my answer is going to be?

• I don't go to church sorry.

• That's not racism. Muslims are not a race.

• He asked us about our origins as-well. I know that Islam isn't a race.

• I am very sorry that happened to you
    your faith should have nothing to do with how people treat you

I think its sad, because people are very ignorant of others circumstances
    you are a tunisian, not a syrian refugee, and those refugees are victims of a circumstance that was caused by the USA

• Yeah racism & also casteism by people of my own race.

• Probably. Can't say I give that sort of stuff much thought.

• I'm white and i've been told "hey man, you know why black people get killed? because of people like you!"

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 17

• Tons of time lol that I didn't even bother listening to them anymore, I'd just politely say I gotta go and walk off. Let's just say I'm lucky most of my ancestry are Asians, making me look almost (if not fully) Asian, so I don't have trouble blending in. What truly gets on my nerves are that ignorant peeps that discriminate people just because of one's religion - I get that almost everytime I tell someone my religion.

What's even worse is back in my country (it's a Muslim country), the Malays were like asking the Chinese to go back to China, and the Indians to go back to India and stuffs. Then the never ending fight between the Muslims and the Christians.

However, I don't mean that all Muslims/Malays are bad tho. I know of a lot of em that are very kind. I just find it stupid that some people are so ignorant to the extent of judging someone based on their race and religion.

• Yeah lol I got a lot of hate from random black girls because my hairstyle (I used to have wool braids) was "culture appropriation" in their eyes and apparently I am not allowed to do with my hair what I want because I'm white. It was too ridiculous for me to really be mad about it though 😅 then there are countless people of all racial backgrounds who discriminated me because I'm a natural ginger as in "where did you hide your pot of gold?", "was your father a leprechaun?" or "I thought we burned all the witches in the medieval age" - it's so sad to get these kinds of comments even from some adults but really I always think it says more about them than it does about me.

• As a black girl I have to say you were rocking the black and white hair you had, and gingers are awesome. Those who pick on you for wearing braids, and being a ginger can go suck a cow schlong. u3u

• Aww thank you so much!🙈 You're always awesome though! 💕 @xXiTacoXx

• No need to thank me for telling the truth.

• i have not but my sister who is a paramedic/firefighter has faced sexism. she has people at her work question if she is qualified for the job because she is a woman even though she has been a paramedic/firefighter for the last ten years and can tell stories of her badass-ery including carrying a man three times her size out of a burning building and down a ladder she dumped her ex-boyfriend because he felt uncomfortable telling people that she was a firefighter/paramedic

i am sorry you experienced that you really dont deserve it.

• Since I'm black I've face racism both in person and the internet. Shit like that follows a person like a bad stink.

• Been in situations like these many times before. I've had people bad mouth my religion and race right to my face. Been called stupid n*****s and been told that I was brainwashed because I'm a Christian. Exactly why I wrote the Take on hate.

• Christians get a bad rep because some people use Christianity and religion to voice their hatred. This angers me so much. I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior but I don't consider myself religious but I have faith in him and try my best to be a decent human being.

• @LIZGRIZ111 yeah, I know. There are plenty of Christians that hide behind the religion and use it as an excuse to spew hate it.

• The only racism I've experienced was aimed at me being an Asian woman... this has happened more than once.

• Whenever I tell a foreigner that i'm Pakistani be/she looks at me weirdly.. Like.. I don't know how 2 explain it.

• I get randomly selected for security screenings often. I don't think that makes me a victim though.

• He should go back to his cuntry too. Since he preached u to go back 😎👍

• To answer your q

Let's just say I'll never fit in a 100%group of Asian or white people without being questioned about immigration status. Mother fucking annoying.

• It always angers me to hear stories of priest and other religious figures showing displays of hatred and disrespect.

• Sounds like he's prejudice.
    Nah, not in a serious one.

• A couple times I've been a victim of racism, but it doesn't really bother me that much.

• Well yes I am Jewish so yes. Hatred only hurts the hater. Unfortunately our blood is cheap

• I was actually a victim of a racially motivated hate crime. Like some real racist shit.

• Yea white people like to treat people of color badly when they get the chance

• Certainly have.

• I'm half-Asian and one day, completely out of the blue, a black dude told me to get back to my fucking country. Guess what, it's not considered racism cause the person who offended me was black, therefore not able to commit such a thing as a race crime. And we all know that black people can't, by any means, be racist.
    If it were me who told him to take his monkey ass back to Africa, I'd have been arrested in the blink of an eye, or even lynched before the cops arrived.