Is drowning a slow painful death or is it fast?

I was watching Castaway today lol and it made me wonder if drowning is slow or quick death process. I was watching the one scene when Tom Hanks was dragging that other fed ex guy with the pilot attire who crashed on the plane off to the island.

• Yes its slow and painful
  • no it fast and painful
  • I don't know see results
@girlscout

Most Helpful Girl

• the pilot died of impact most likely that or he was knocked out by the impact remember the planes nose it the water first so 100s of gallons of water hit him plus a window broke hitting him he most likely died befor drowning he was prob just water logged though

• Oh yeah that's true but is it slow or fast?

• the time you hold your breath and try not to breath underwater is what makes it slow but as you try to breath underwater it takes like 3-4 seconds to die

• That probably explains why when I was drowning under water in kindergarten why it felt like I was going to die so quickly lol cause I was breathing and yeah the chest pain sucks too.

Most Helpful Guy

• Slow, and "very" painful.

Having irregular things get inside your lungs is not a comfortable feeling, and you will
    be entering a mad panic once you understand that you're out of breath and won't be
    able to reach the surface in time.

It's not only a physical pain, but mental as well.

• i almost drown my cousin was learning to swim an she freaked out an pushed me under water to keep her head above water an i almost drowned it was one of the scariest if not scariest moment in my life i was only 13 at the time

• @GnarCute
      I'm glad that both of you are alive and well today. ^.^

I had a similar situation to yours, Gnar
      where my brother had falled into a lake whilst he couldn't swim
      in my attempt to get him out, he almost pushed me down instead.

• the worst part of being saved the only bad part is the shaking i didn't stop shaking for 2 days it died down after the first few hours but i had a constant shake in my hands

What Girls Said 4

• I think it'd be very slow for the victim even though it takes just a few seconds.

I did almost drown once. It was a windy day and the waves were high. A wave hit me from the back, and I lost my balance, and it pulled me down. I wasn't intending to swim which made it worse because I was wearing regular clothes with a skirt, and I didn't have a swimming suite on, so the water made my clothes feel heavy, and I kept drifting down no matter how much strength I tried to put in. The water was so salty too, and it made my nose and throat sore no to mention the pain you feel in your chest. The mental factor plays a role too when you feel you don't have enough oxygen and you are about to black out and might not wake up again. It was one of the scariest experiences I had. 😥

• I've been told it feels as if your lungs are burning or exploding inside your chest. I don't think it's a good way to go.

I once dreamt I drowned. It was scary as hell.

• Why have you tagged me in the update?

• Well yeah I meant like in your older accounts?

• Nope, never worked for them.

• I believe it's one of the worst ways to die. Definitely slow and painful. From the outside it may seem like seconds/minutes, but when you're actually the one who's drowning it can feel like hours. Time slows down and every moment is a torture. At least that's what I've heard.

• I drowned once for like 5 seconds and my brother saved me it was very painful in my nose throat and chest.

• Ugh, I can only imagine... :/

• i'd assume it would be slow and painful feeling your lungs fill up with water... like swallowing and it going down the wrong pipe, but instead of a little its a lot... and instead of coughing to survive you cough and died...

What Guys Said 6

• 0|0
    • Didn't Hitler used to do that too?

• That video is literally horrifying.

• @iluvbunnies
      Apparently ISIS has turned that sort of execution into a sort of reality show and it has quite a viewer base in the region.

• Why, your not planning on drowning any kittens are you because i was kibd of wondering about that too lol.

• iT's relatively fast since it takes minutes, not days. bUt I believe that struggling for breath as your lungs fill with water is painful.

• it is slow, i don't know if it is really painful, put it is panicky, there is nothing you can do

• Well, it's basically suffocating but instead of the hands around your neck, just a huge cold area inside of you.

• It's slow and painful. Ask any terrorism suspect who has been "interrogated" by the American government.

https://youtu.be/4LPubUCJv58