Have you ever died in a dream?

They say that if you die in your dream then you die in real life, which is obviously bullshit, but dying in dreams isn't all that common. It's only happened to me once and I drowned. I knew I was dead because it all just ended and there was nothing but silence and blackness. Forever. It was quite peaceful and I found myself thinking about it a lot for a while after.

Has anyone else ever died in their dream?

Most Helpful Guy

• Dying is the only way for me to wake up from my dreams lol
    Whenever I'm in a dream that I want to wake up from I just smash my head on the floor. There's this one time tho no matter how many times I mashed on head on the floor i just wouldn't wake up. Then the floor opened below me , I started falling and woke up.
    Sometimes I just off a ledge.
    Sometimes I stand in front of trains.
    Sometimes I just shoot myself but yah for some reason when I realize I'm in a dream I just want to wake up.

Most Helpful Girl

• I die in my dreams all the time.

What Guys Said 23

• Once, years ago. I fell off a wall of a castle while fighting goblins or something. Stupid me had to be the hero and jump in front of girl I was crushing on at the time. Goblin pushed me over the wall fell down a good 40 feet and split my head open on the ground… it was kind of nasty. Worst part was as I was dead and leaving my body I could see the girl look over at my corps, shrug, and go back to fighting.

• I never seen myself actually die. Be it a fall from a cliff or getting in a shootout Bonnie & Clyde style I usually wake up before hitting the ground. I haven't had a dream like that in a very long time.

• Yeah I have died many times in dreams. Sometimes it wakes me up, others it hasn't. Once I was dreaming in which I was shot and died and everything faded into blackness and I was just like "so is that all then?" then woke up. Another time after dying, I immediately was transported to another "plane" if you will that was like a different part of the world. That one was wired and I woke myself up after realizing I was dreaming it. It was like 2001: a Space Odyssey kinda thing going on in dream. I have fallen a few times to my death, drowned, shot, sickness. Its kinda a common thing for me lol.

• I have had several dreams where I was in the act of dying (can't recall if I actually died though) and one dream recently where I was dead already and I was in purgatory, it was very odd and strangley coherent, rather unsettling actually.

• The coherent ones are the real unnerving ones I find. So clear that you have to wonder if it was something incredibly important trying to get a message across.

• I agree, its very unuasal to the point of being disturbing. The unconcious mind attempting to convey a thought to the conciuos mind I suppose.

• I'm very much a believer that dreams are our brains trying to make sense of things. Ways of attempting to resolving issues.

• i don't know about died but i have had multiple dreams involving being near lightning and probably being hit by some (don't remember however). sometimes i wonder if this is related to any past lives and my brain is trying to tell me something that i can't comprehend. whatever it is i have had the lightning dreams many times and i have no logical explanation.

• Lightning is scary stuff, my work colleague went to a party and in the barn was this home made tesla coil, he got hit by it and ever since can't smell... dangerous stuff!

• i absolutely love lightning. it's one of natures most wondrous things.

• It is indeed. My parents live 750ft up a hill overlooking an estuary on the coast, so when a big storm comes in I usually go up there and watch it roll in!

• Actually... its happened to me twice back to back same dream.. it went something like this

The first time around i didn't die... i just ended up almost hitting the ground from far up and waking up (which is common)

Oddly, the night after, same dream... but this time I actually hit the ground and was 'dead' everything was silent and the dream images were just gone - then i woke up

• How long after did you wake up you think?

• Well you know what 'they' say... death is a blessing in disguise

Our minds and soul wants to die and leave this body... i mean its hard to have a trillion cells functioning at once for literally 80+ years

• Sleep paralysis is terrifying!

• I had a watch that could jump through time, but before I could use it, I was shot. Then I saw myself fall down and it wasn't me. So, kind of?

• I want that watch! Yeah, third person perspective of yourself is weird!

• Oh yeah often... the dreams where you are restrained and the water is rising :o :o
    Or where you can't move while a truck is racing towards you... or a lion!
    An than I wake up just before the lion starts its meal. Poor animal :-(

• Multiple times, if it happens its usually falling down a big hight my body will shock awake as it prepares for impact.

• Is that dying though? That sounds like the classic jerk-awake stepping off the kerb thing to me and not dying.

• There is something which sets it apart, the realisation while dreaming that you have died in your dream.

• Oooh now i get it dreaming that you are dead. No i never had that happen.

• I've had a dream where Jason pretty much "appeared" behind me after he was chasing me but I woke up before he actually got me. That's the closest I've been to dying in a dream.

• We're all going to die eventually.
    And yes I died, but got back up again

Since I was aware of my dream, I created some medieval war with swords and stuff... Aaaaand got stabbed :(

• it happened 1-2x to me. I'm not exactly sure how it happened because it was a long time ago, but I think I jump down a building if I remember correctly... :s

• Yes I've died quite a few times in my dreams lol
    I'm very much alive right now I think.. haha

• I jumped off a building it was a pretty crazy dream but it felt so real but I woke up so sweaty haha

• I can't remember many of my dreams but I hardly die in them... must have died countable number of times, but in most of my dreams I'm not me, which is the weirdest fucking thing ever

• When I die in a dream shit goes black and the dream doesn't go further, then I wake up and be like lol

• Maybe a couple of times when I was a kid, not since.

• I am about to be killed , and then i wake up , is that count? ; p

• It's not BS. It's safe to say that 100% of people who die in dreams will eventually die in real life.

That said, I've died many times in dreams, often in a fall from a great height or a plane crash.

• Often. I used to have this dream where my car turned into a push mower while driving, causing me to wreck and die. I think I might be crazy.

• Not that I recall.

• Do you have a chain of unresolved issues?

• Recently, actually. I was having a dream where I was a little kid (probably 5-6), trying to get along with the kids across the street, when my phone went off (idk why I had a phone at such a young age) and had a weather warning saying 'a meteor is coming falling in your area, get inside as fast as possible'. After that I looked up into the sky and see an enormous meteorite is falling not a mile from where i'm standing, traveling at an ungodly speed. After a second or two, I see a boom and then nothing, just blackness. And for about 5 seconds, while the blackness was still there, I was conscious enough to be like 'WTF JUST HAPPENED?' without realizing I was dreaming.

What Girls Said 14

• I had a dream I was hit by a car and in a coma and then my family switched my life support off after a few weeks and I could hear my daughter crying as I faded away... and then I woke up in a cold sweat freaking out. Was like a bizarre out of body experience. Not in a rush to dream like that again.

• I've had the drowning dreams numerous times. Probably because that's a huge fear of mine. But it never fades to darkness. I usually will drown and then find myself having an out of body experience. Like in one dream I drowned and then I saw everyone searching for me and I was trying to tell them that I was in the water. I hate those dreams.

• Yes, I've died a couple of times in my dreams. Nothing overly violent, I think maybe I was shot. I didn't feel any pain and there was such a sense of peace that came over me. Imagine floating in a nice warm swimming pool and you get kind of an idea.

Not a care in the world, I knew my battle was over and was looking forward to seeing what was now waiting for me.

Too bad I woke up.

• i just know that once i got badly injured in a dream

• For some reason, I know when I'm dreaming while asleep. So whenever I wanna wake up from my dreams, I just need to do something and I'd wake up from it.

There's this one time tho, when I was asleep, I dreamt of jumping off a high cliff into the water. (I must've been too influenced by the percy jackson series lol) and I nearly drowned cause I'm afraid of water ever since I was a kid. Then I made myself wake up.

• Well where I come from that saying is a little different its "when you die in a dream, you wake up." - and yeah, I've had plenty of those dreams even as a kid I've dreamt that a crazy women killed me. Then I've had a row of recurring dreams a few months ago where I've dreamt that I was shot in the head.
    It's always a little bit disturbing but you gotta remind yourself that it's just a dream.

• Nope never

• If you die in your dream and don't wake up after, you die in real life. True deal. I've asked around.

• Oh dear, not another one...

What did you do, go around asking the recently deceased if they died in their dreams? How could anyone confirm that?

• Well, my boring answer is that I've never died in a dream. Not even when I wanted to die in real life.

• Don't think I ever actually died, but I did have a dream that I was in a coma or something and everyone thought I was dead so they were trying to do an autopsy on me and I woke up in the middle of it 😱

• No. But i had dreamt of loved ones dying. I prefer to dream of myself dying, to be honest

• Yes, I agree with you there. I dreamt my brother turned into a zombie once, but I knew I'd lost him. It was horrible!

• Never actually. When I dream - it's usually a really f*cked up dream.

• 95% of my dreams are of me getting murdered.

• i would often have dreams of suicide attempts, i would die in those

• Yup; I got hit over the head with the barrel of a gun and it was just like white noise and a high pitched sort of ringing sound like what I imagine tinnitus would be like