Would you find it weird for a person to not know how to speak their native tongue?

Do you have any friends or partners like that?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I have a Japanese friend that was born and raised in Australia. She can't really speak Japanese..

• If she was born and raised in Australia, English is her native tongue.

• If she was born in Australia, she's an Australian. If her parents were born in Japan, she's an Australian of Japanese descent, but she herself is a native of Australia and her native language is the same language as the rest of Aus.

• Thanks

What Girls Said 9

• nah i kinda understand that especially if they are a 2nd or 3rd generation child. the connection with the language can be lost if the previous generations aren't persistent with it.

• Well, if you lived in a country that does not speak it, and there is nobody who speaks it around you, there is a chance that you won't learn it.

However, I think it is only right to learn your native language before trying to learn other languages. It happens though, and I met some people who just do not feel like their native language is useful for them, and they prefer to learn other languages.

• Well, my cousin is half Korean but he hardly speaks any - he can understand it tho but it's also because he lived in Ireland for all his life if someone from Korea wouldn't know any Korean that would be really weird tbh...

• Half the country can't speak the language, yet bang on like crazy nationalists in someone else's language.

• You mean like currently living there and not being able to speak it? Or from there but not living there currently and not knowing how to speak it. Like I know people from Italy that don't speak Italian.

• Yeah, it's really weird that some Irish people don't know how to speak speak Irish...

• Nope it's not weird. Yes I know a lot of people like that.

• Nope I can't speak it

• My brother was born in our mom's country, but he cannot speak the native language of there. Even though we lived there for years.

What Guys Said 3

• I don't know how to speak my native tongue :(
    I really want to learn it tho

• It's not weird if you never learned it

• You MUST mean something other than "native tongue," since that means the language you use in your thoughts. You can't not know it.