I know these suck but?

The words are confusing me, nooo! "Find two consecutive even integers such that the sum of the larger and twice the smaller is 62" I get the concept but what is with that wording?

bro first legit answer gets mho pleasee

Most Helpful Guy

• It's 20 and 22.

I think a lot of word problems are purposely worded to be confusing as to make the problem seem more difficult than it is.

Or maybe it is to torture high school kids.

I was thinking on how to word the problem to sound easier, but it's a convoluted problem as is and is nothing that you would ever use in a real life scenario. Maybe this:

Larry, Moe, and Curly all have money. Larry and Moe have the same amount, an even integer. Curly has two dollars more than Larry and Moe. They have $62 total. How much does each one have?

What Guys Said 2

• Forget about the even part for now. You can check that later.

So you have two consecutive even integers

Make the smaller number = X
    So the larger number = X+2

Sum of the larger plus twice the smaller = 62

(X+2) + 2X = 62

Solve for X. Start by reducing the left side.

X+2 + 2X = 62
    3X + 2 = 62
    3X = 60
    X = 20
    X+2 = 22

So your two numbers are 20 and 22 which are both even numbers

• (x+2)+2x = 62. So 3x + 2 = 62. And by subtraction, you get 3x = 60. Divide by 3 and you get x= 20. Therefore, the small number is 20 and the large is 22.

This is algebra. I suggest a tutor if you have further difficulty.

What Girls Said 0