Have you ever done jury duty before?

today for the first time in my life i received a letter for the court telling me to go serve for jury duty next month.

now i am being serious when i say that i am currently feeling extremely worked up over this shit. i have no idea what jury duty is but from what i've heard in the past it sounds like work from the devil.

i seriously do not want to take part in anything that has to do with courts, or the justice system. plus i have i suffer from anxiety, depression and a few other neurotic disorder, so just by thinking about taking part in some court b/s i already feel like i'm about to have an extreme panic attack or a serious mental breakdown.

but anyways have you ever done jury duty before, and what exactly is this all about?

Most Helpful Girl

• i've been summoned before for a month long trial
    i was like "hell no" to that, especially since i got a new job a few days ago at the time
    i just told the judge what was going on and he dismissed me
    i'm sure a judge will be sympathetic to you if you explained your situation
    demonstrating bias will normally get you dismissed

just make sure you have a music or a book as you'll spend most of your time waiting

Most Helpful Guy

• I have nervous problems too. Here's how I survived (barely):

I left 40 minutes before my appearance deadline, because I was convinced I'd get lost. I didn't want to be more than 2 minutes late, as I was extremely paranoid I'd get found in contempt of court for some really minor thing. Arrived 5 minutes early, still nervous.

Went through security. They confiscated most of my belongings for me to collect later. I forgot I had a watch, and the metal detectors went berserk. Finally remembered, and gave them my watch.

They stuffed me in a large room with wooden walls in the basement with hundreds of other bored potential jurors, and waited 3 hours to give us any sense of direction. Everyone was to something or what-not to socialize. So I doodled in my binder to pass the time. They let me keep my binder and pens. After 3 hours, we watched some boring VHS tape. Then got escorted (almost like prisoners) to the actual courtroom. The drinking fountains were gross like a jail too. Green corroding copper and what-not. Lime buildup.

1/3 of the called were dismissed immediately due to having DUIs of their own, and the case was a DUI / BUI. I was number 6 in group C. They asked if I was ever charged with anything. Told them I was framed for stalking in 2007, but it never went to trial. Case dropped due to lack of sufficient and reliable evidence.

Suddenly, they started asking me a lot of questions about everything. From cable channel lineups to why I got laid off at my government temp job. Felt like I was on trial, to be honest. Then, I embarrassed the defense by off-handedly proposing a case hypothetical even she didn't think of concerning the alleged shoplifter. (Did he bring it into the store and it got mistaken for merch?)

Making her feel stupid was the last straw. They determined me a "threat to objectivity," and I was dismissed. I was praying silent thanks I didn't get contempt. I was very nervous he whole time, and sang like a canary, as they say. They finally gave me back my other stuff, and I was free to leave.

I also pointed out the BUI guy had alcoholic flush in court, and a lifestyle-appropriate jacket. Sherlocking. Didn't know that was bad. The alleged shoplifter was a happy-go-lucky bearded guy that had a smirk on his face like he wasn't taking anything seriously. The judge looked at me like I was wearing a clown suit.

If you're anything like me, it's survivable. Breathe deep. Avoid contempt charges at all costs.

What Girls Said 3

• nope but i dont want to. my parents have several times. u basically contribute to the decision of innocent or guilty regarding a certain case that u witness in court.

i hope I'm answering right lol. also, if u have an excuse like the ones u listed, u must quickly address them as soon as possible so that they can find another person.

• Yeah pretty much everyone goes at some point. However I wasn't picked for the jury.

• i've never

What Guys Said 5

• i was summoned for one, but when the day came it was settled and i didn't have to show up.

• I've been called to do it a lot but always got out of it. The one time I couldn't get out of it, I just sat around in their lounge for about 6 hours and they never called my name so I got lucky.

• Honestly I am excited to go to jury duty because i have always wanted to examine a real case. Apparently everyone hates it. Is it because of all the waiting around?

• @LIZGRIZ111 The first time I went the judge said they were looking for people for a 2 week trial. I was like fuck that and postponed jury duty till the next month. When I went back a judge said they were looking for people for a 4 week trial fortunately my name wasn't called.

I wouldn't mind a 2-3 day trial but I don't want to do that shit for 2-4 weeks.

• well in that case you shouldn't do jury duty... as a lawyer myself i can tell you that juries are subjected to pretty horrific imageries... and it can always aggravate neurotic problems... many jury members sometimes require counselling after trial

• Yeah I went once. Luckily, the judge dismissed me hah.

Be honest and tell the judge about the issue you have. If they're cool, like the judge I had, then they'll dismiss you.

• no i haven't my dad did a few years back, he seemed to like it!!