Born again Christians: faith or fad?

Nowadays, it seems like the prerequisites for becoming a so-called born again Christian, is being a former (or current) drug addict, ex-con, or a homeless person with mental issues. Other denominations, like Catholics,
for example, are slightly older, more conservative, and have a natural grasp of moral values, as opposed to the younger and more rebellious Christians. Just my observation.

Granted, not all Christians fit the profile I presented, but it seems like the vast majority of modern-day Christians just coming out of the woodwork, fall into the "drug addict/criminal>rehab/prison>Born again Christian" category. It kinda tarnishes the credibility of not only serious Christians, but the entire Christian faith, in my opinion. And yes, when my Christian friend invited me to her church, it was like attending a rock concert, as some of the local nightclub musicians perform there.

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 1

• I could see how you might arrive at that conclusion. Honestly, I always used to associate "born-again" with what you said, but at least from my observation, that born-again Christians have strayed away from whatever church in which they had grown up, but have since returned. Or they were a part of one church before, fell away, and then came back. In the Catholic Church, we just call them "reverts" :-)

Now I can only speak for myself and my area, but there is a growing community of young and faithful Catholics in my area. I'm pretty involved with them. I think the Church certainly does have a grasp of moral values, but the problem is that the faithful don't seem to know why it's important or how it's applicable to their lives. I think Pope Francis is trying to get us to understand that, though with varying degrees of success (no thanks to the 24-hour extremely biased news cycles). I'm writing a myTake offering an assessment of his papacy so far.

That being said, I've read articles about how Christians need to stop trying to make church "cool". I think that's one long-term advantage that the more, if you will, "traditional" churches (Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, etc.) will have, though I can really only speak for the Catholic Church, as I don't think I've ever been to a Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. service.