Do you even English?

haha! Good Morning GAG People! :D

so, DO YOU ENGLISH? I don't! I Spanglish! xD

All jokes aside, what is you native language?

Do you have trouble speaking english?
Do you even English?

My native language is Spanish!
and sometimes I feel like this...

Most Helpful Guy

• My native language is Luxembourgish

when I speak German, I have a French accent
    when I speak French, I have a German accent
    and when I speak English, I have both 😂

I have no problem understanding everything but speaking is sometimes a little bit... meh

Most Helpful Girl

• I only speak English and Sarcasm.

I used to be able to speak some French.. but I lost most of it...

and dumbass.. but that was just so tiring...

What Guys Said 30

• My native language is Swiss (and German). I don't have an accent in my English as far as I know because I've lived in the US for about 1,5 years. I've often been mistaken for an American by Americans. However, I wouldn't claim to be anywhere close to perfect at English. I have passed exams for international English certificates such as the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) so I'm certainly very fluent and I don't struggle with English as long as the topic is somewhere in the realms of every day life conversation. However, I also happen to study English literature and linguistics as one of my two majors at university and I don't feel ashamed to admit that in these academic contexts, I do sometimes struggle with English. It's not the grammar anymore or anything like that (typical beginners' problems) but the fact that there is a lot of jargon; a lot of academic, subject-related vocabulary and these things I do need to look up sometimes. Also, while I'm doing fine writing my academic papers in English, I think I will always feel like I can express myself better and more freely in an academic paper I write in German.

• My native language is irish but for historical reasons about 98% of the population of Ireland ( myself included ) cannot speak it at all - I only have very basic irish.
    My first language is English but even on a international site like GaG, I notice how words have different meanings in different parts of the world.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...b850ca9974.jpg
    I searched for a quote about double meanings and found this lovely one
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...0caf150029.jpg

• I'm just curious: do you think it'd be beneficial for Irish people to start reintegration of the native language?

I know it's a broad question. Just wondering what an Irishman thinks about it.

• @DodgersGM It would be a very big job - Irish is actually compulsory in the school system but (especially when I was in school) was treated as a joke subject. All you had to do was string a few sentences together and everybody learned same sentences to pass school leaving exam in irish. There are now irish language schools on the rise (where kids get their full education through irish) but I say the fluency level is less than 5% and the other 95% have the most basic irish no more than a few words. It doesn't have any relevancy as people say will it get me a job and truth is no apart from that as an irish teacher in school. It will never die but also it will never be restored to its former glory. It is a bit sad but I am part of the problem, there is no appetite among general public to learn it.

• My native language is English. I minored in German in college about a million years ago and used to be able to have conversations in German. Now that I haven't used it, most of the vocabulary is gone but I still remember the grammar rules. So if I watch a movie in German, I understand a little, and most of the rest goes, "He said he wants to do something with a small something tomorrow, and maybe he will do something with his wife, then a subordinate clause with a lot of adjectives." So I don't know what they're saying, bit I kind of know what they're talking about.

• ahah but at least you have a clue of what they're saying lol

• I've been doing pretty well with English actually for the past 13 years, even though it's not actually my native language. I learned it gradually over time, with the greatest spike being at the beginning, though. Way back when, I didn't know a single word. I don't know how I learned it so well.

• My native language is English I guess since I was born and raised in the United States though I can speak a little bit of each of my ethnic languages.

Czechoslovakian
    German
    Welsh
    French
    Hungarian

And a few ones I just wanted to learn like Latin

Vale amicis meis

• My native language is Portuguese and I can speak English just fine. I love both languages by the way.

• When me have time Engish no is problem!
    Hahaha just joking... my mother tongue is Dutch. Or the Belgian variant of it which is called Flemish.
    I've learned both English and French starting around age 11, and German starting 3 years later.
    And I know a little "holiday Spanish"... just words.
    Buenes noches... un cafe con leche?
    Sorry if the grammar is a little screwed :D

• cervesa por favor!

• oh you're better then me.. I only know how to ask for beer lol

• @Betwyn yeah it's because I've been on holiday to Spain a few times, and also 3 or 4 times to the Canary islands :D
      Especially in Spain, people tend to speak Spanish only :o
      Or like in Barcelona! The guy spoke 3 languages: Spanish, Bask and Catalan... heeeeeeelp :o
      But when they understood there was a chance to sell... some English knowledge appeared! 8)

• No speak americano

• Lol I just saw that episode of Modern Family y'day.

My native language is ગુજરાતી (Gujarati). I'm above average in understanding English. I've talked with British people and I was just fine. 0 trouble in communication for everyone involved.
    However, due to lack of practice in speaking English and shy nature I don't really speak fluent. I think too fast but mouth can't keep up with brain speed. Flooding of words occur quite often.

• Hahaha loved the gifs 😂 well my native language is Urdu which is pretty sexy, look it up for some crazy facts about my language. One of the sexiest thing about urdu is that you can absolutely pronounce any other language correctly with the right accent.

• Yeah I English Boston Tea party balls English is my mother language but actual native language is kurdish

• My native language is Norwegian. I don't feel like I have any issues with English at all, sometimes I might look for a specific word.

• Yes, i still have to learn a lot about writting English... :C , and my talking is very weird too, im trying but it's not comming easy. And you?

• 1|0
  • i have only ever spoken English. but i speak Australian English so we don't pronounce some things like other countries do

• I am retarded in Spanish.
    But I eningelish well:)

• Wtf an is an engwish? Me onli speek sw$g3

• Que?

• Yes. I can also speak Farsi. :)

• English is my native language and I have no troubled speaking it.

• My native language is Hindi, Indian people don't get my English though while Americans and Europeans can completely understand for some reason

• nein, i don´t

• Me native language is Gibberish

I come from Gibberland

HI HO, GIBBERLAND!

• I speak two languages, English, and bad English.

• I speak Murican.

• Nah, I speak Australian

• My native language is dutch and yes sometimes speaking/writing English is hard

• first language is English

• Bro I england pretty well I got good england and all england goodly

• no, but you need to learn it better... sin embargo, mi Espanol es no malo.

What Girls Said 25

• My native is Latvian and I have no problems speaking English. Feels like I have two native languages tbh xD

• English is my first language, I write and edit for a living, I aced all my English/literature classes in high school/college...

And yet...

I'm still bad at speaking it. I forget words constantly. My mouth is stupid, I don't know.

• English and Mandarin.. I doubt I have an accent tho, so far all the countries I've lived in all understand what I speak.

• Duh, English is my native and only language.

Haha.

• my native language is Chinese and Tamil. I don't think I have an accent lmao. I recently went to melbourne to visit my boyfriend, his parents asked me where I come from bc my English is good. xD I'm a Singaporean by the way. A mixed race of chinese and indian. so yeah people often ask me wtf am I xD and i totally get you xD

• My native language is Portuguese. I don't have an English accent and when I talk I have to speak slowly, otherwise I will stumble upon words.
    My English is better written than spoken. But, I'm trying to improve my talking skills.

• English is my native and only language. :( I usually don't have trouble speaking it, haha.

• My native language and only language is English.

• my native language is Kreol
    hows my english? errrr i guess its alright

• i speak Dutch, English and Sranantongo. I don't have any problems speaking English but that's because I followed bilingual education in my first 3 years of high school and passed my FCE ( First Cambridge Exam)

• My native language's urdu and yeah. I do have some trouble with English sometimes and yup. I have an accent too. Hope 2 'remove' the accent and improve my vocabulary.

• It's ghetto EngRISH for me

• Funny! I just got back from English lecture.
    We had some serious basic English test, lol. Coincidence?

• English is my mother tongue. I used to know a little French however I forgot more then I learned.

• Native is Finnish, but I think I actually do better with English... Finnish is kind of an ugly language to me...

• i sometimes English when it's dark outside

• no :( i don't even English 😢

• English is my native language. (Oklahoma English) lol.

• English, MY COUSIN SAYS THIS ALL THE TIME OMFG WHYYYYY?

• yes, i English very well :)

• I English. I am America and so can you!

• No, ni siquiera me Inglés. ;)

• my only language I can speak is English but I tried to once learn Hindi

• Native language is Portuguese :)

I use English only with you peeps and with boyfriend <3