What is the Law on Nudes?

One of my friends came to me with a problem but I didn't know how to help him.

He told me a girl sent him nudes, he thought she was 17 ( same age as him ) but she turned out to be 15.
He told me he deleted her pictures and told her to stop. But he asked me if he could get arrested. He was being brief so I didn't get all of what he said...

What shall I tell him? I don't know myself.

Most Helpful Guy

• is it illegal? If the person in the photograph is at least 18 years old, then there is no law that forbids it. The legal problems arise when underage kids take nude photos of themselves and send them to others. If a photograph depicts a person younger than 18 as nude or partially nude, then it could be considered child pornography. So could they go to jail? Yes. A person that takes the photograph could be charged with Producing/Manufacturing Child Sexually Abusive Material, which is a 20-year felony. Anyone that forwards or simply possesses these pictures could face child pornography charges as well.

What Girls Said 5

• Nudes from someone underage is child pornography, so if he did have them in his possession, then he would probably be in some trouble. It's important that he''s able to give proof that he thought she was 17, just in case something does come of this, though I doubt it will.

• Had he kept them he would be in possession of child pornography and could be arrested and put in prison. It does not matter that he is a minor.

Since he deleted them (make sure he was telling the truth about that) I think he should be okay.

• He isn't an adult so it wouldn't be considered child pornography, at least to my knowledge. He deleted them and told her to stop, which was smart, so he should be fine.

• That's child pornography and highly illegal. He could get arrested if caught.

• If he requested them from a minor it's illegal and if it gets out he's in big trouble. If she is sending them without being prompted he would be wise to block her cell number or any other form of contact.

What Guys Said 4

• Only if he gets caught. And it's not hard not to get caught.

• No, he can't control what other people send him and as soon as he found out she was under-aged he deleted them.

• If you are close in age and you do not publish the photos, it is legal to have them. As she is legally entitled to have sexual encounters with you.

• To my knowledge, whether she's 15 or 17 makes no difference. Both are 'underage'.

The exact laws almost certainly depend on jurisdiction. Who would be in more trouble in theory is unclear, since she actually 'created and distributed' child pornography.

I think he should relax about the past photos he deleted.

I think he should be aware that if he spread her photos around, in that case, he would absolutely be putting himself at risk of a charge for distributing child porn.