Do you believe violent media (movies, video games, music) can make kids violent?

Movies, video games, and music that portray, talk about or even glorify violence, do you beleive they can make children violent if they are exposed to them?

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Crime rates among young people has significantly declined since the 1990s, when video games first started becoming popular. If anything, violent video games prevented violence because they gave violent people a means by which to take out their anger without actually hurting anyone.

Obviously, there are a few exceptions, like the guys who shot up Columbine High School and said video games made them do it (Personally I don't believe them and I think they blamed it on video games so they'd have an excuse to get off). However, emotionally unstable people like that would have done that regardless of whether they played video games or not.
    Although movies and music aren't much of a focus as video games, the same applies for them as well.

What Girls Said 6

• I don't think it's as much the case as long as children are also taught the difference between right and wrong and understand that these things are just music or fictional movies/games. I grew up playing some violent games and watching wrestling every night with my dad and never turned out violent.

• No I don't in the slightest as for people, and parents to do so is ridiculous. I did a paper my 12th grade year on the columbine shooting where 2 boys (original 4 had planned it) shot up their school I was in the 4th grade when it originally happened even then it stuck with me. The media and the parents and families (they had no friends) literally blamed Marilyn Manson, eminem (who I adore ) and the video game DOOM (which I had played) among others grand theft auto etc. No one really covered the fact that these boys were continuously being bullied and tormented every day to the point they felt hurting someone else was okay. They knew what they where doing they knew they weren't going to come out alive and they were tormented so much that they where okay with taking others as well as their own lives. If all that stuff they blamed was so violent why did they tell the only people that showed them slight kindness not to go to school. Violent media doesn't create violent children the life they have or what their exposed to in the home even at school is what cause them to act on the things they've seen in movies music games etc. I'm my opinion.

• if a child can not tell the difference between fantasy and reality then they have a mental health problem and if a video game had not pushed them over the edge, something else would have. plus people were killing other human beings way before video games or TV existed

• No, not so much I say. Children doing violence is not steered by medias only, but by his/her surroundings behaviors.
    I'm more worried of showing superhero movies to children under age 5. My 3 year old cousin jumped off from the bed thinking she could fly, like the Man of Steel. Thank God there wasn't much height difference between the floor and the bed, plus she jumped of feet first, not head, so she just sprained her ankles, not hurting her head.

• sure but its the person not the video game

• I think it can contribute yeah. There was a pretty famous study that showed children would copy a video of an adult doing violent things to a doll if they were given the same doll after watching it for example. Before a certain age kids can't really distinguish between what's real and what's fiction which could be an issue.

What Guys Said 24

• Yes, I do think so, at least to a certain degree. Obviously, not all kids get influenced by playing violent video games. Many can see the difference. However, not being able to see the difference has nothing to do with mental health issues as @ginnyweasley rather offensively claims. Such comments show that most people know very little of the psychological development of children. In fact, it is normal for children under the age of approx. 7 to not be able to distinguish between reality and phantasy. There are all kinds of example I could give here. Just think of imaginary friends as one example. Many little children consider their imaginary friends real although they're not. The psyche of a child goes through a number of very important and interesting stages. For example toddlers under the age of about 3 years are unable to distinguish between themselves and the outside world. This idea of ourselves as independent entity which seems so natural and self-understanding to all adults does not exist among babies. Similarly, children until the age of 6-7 years of age are not capable of understanding the difference between phantasy or reality. This is also why children get scared of monsters and the like. For us adults, werewolves or vampires might be scary in a movie but we won't get nightmares of them because we know they're not real. For children, this is not the case. I remember my own childhood quite vividly and I remember having been extremely scared of certain phantasy-creatures precisely because I believed them to be real. We also see this fact of children not always being able to distinguish between phantasy and reality reflected in western countries' law systems. In Europe and America, we don't punish 9 year olds for killing somebody, even if they are partially or fully guilty of their crime. One of the reasons for this is that children cannot be held accountable for such crimes because they often don't know what they're doing (or at least not fully).
    Furthermore, there are certain internal and external aspects that can influence how well a child can distinguish between reality and fiction. Some of these are intelligence, parenting, environmental influences etc..
    Also, what I find particularly strange and hypocritical in America is that according to the comments, most people seem to believe that children don't get influenced by violence in the media. Yet, Americans constantly swear about the "oversexualization" of the media and how it ruins

• okay good to know

• children. As a European, I have to admit I find this pretty crazy to say the least. In America, any kid can see the bloodiest, most violent bullshit on TV or in a video game but if there's a boob for one millisecond, you can be dead sure it will be censored. Obviously, there seems to be a unquestioned agreement that the bare depiction of nudity destroys children and teens. Yet, as soon as it comes to violence, people suddenly completely change their opinions.
      Also, it is true that not all children who watch violent movies or play violent games turn out violent themselves. HOWEVER, the contrary IS true. All famous committers of public shootings, particularly school shootings, have later been confirmed by the police to have played a lot of violent video games. This was true for the Columbine school massacre, for Aurora, for Virginia Tech college and even for the Norwegian mass murderer Anders Bering Breivik. So claiming that there's no correlation is not only a lie but also very cynical.

• most teens i knew didn't... it's only the dim/retard ones who would.

• no. what made kids violent before any of those things existed?

• I watched a program about that recently, at the end it said there was no evidence linking them. I think it might do a little bit though, however if someone is prone to violence something at some point will tip them over the edge, it doesn't have to be the influence of media alone.

• i have literally smashed a chair once... i was playin Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Battle 22... Build-Up mode... i kept losin again and again after some point... in ma fury i grabbed a chair and lifted above ma head and smashed it... after losin again and again next thing i did was take out ma disc and break it in 2...

then i was tryin to calm down...

another xample was when i was playin FIFA wid a childhood friend of mine... i kept losin again and again then i got up from ma chair and started to chase him all around his yard for like 5 mins...

so yup... video-games can make u violent... they r not violent by default... but they can make u violent... ;)

• i'm sure it can. but i also believe that parents, education, etc can help mitigate that stuff. I have friends who i was always shocked were allowed to watch certain things as children and yet they have grown to be very normal people

I think the media we consume (music, movies, tv, magazines, video games) can have an impact on us but i don't believe their influences are greater than other influences in our lives like environment (family, religion, education, etc)

• How would you say violent media affects us?

• it desensitizes us. a non violence related example that is incredibly evident on this site is p*rn. p*rn can desensitize people to the reality of sexual interaction. so some men and women believe that a normal size penis is 9inches, or a normal female is into gagging and being drenched in ejaculate, or that there is no risk of having sex without protection, and more and more.

similar goes to the media. without fair and balanced information, so someone to help put what they view in (movies, film, video games, music, etc) perspective of reality many people will view violence as normal, acceptable and certain activities to not have the consequences that they have in the real world

• It doesn't. Most kids see these violent things, but most kids aren't violent serial killers.

• Especially I, who grew up in a dysfunctional household. Hell, I was a victim of physical abuse, sooooooo... I think I know the source of it...😔

• yes i do.

And you know what? They're PEGI rated for a reason.
    The BIGGEST problem is parents letting their snotty kids play 18 rated games and watch violent movies. So they can just STFU about COD or GTA making their kids violent, their kids aren't even supposed to play COD or GTA in the first place!

• Constantly seeing something, hearing something or doing something can desensitize you. Desensitizing though doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be more violent, just that you aren't as shocked, appalled etc by it.

I don't blame the games for it nor the music, in all honesty the parents should be teaching the kids about life properly and about non-violence as well as distinguishing game from reality. Also as a society we need to not just walk away from anyone with issues or just push them off someplace as if they're the other, this type of thing will lead to violence more than any game will.

We gotta stop blaming things like games for making the kid violent and adapt our style of properly handling situations and kids as per the need rather than just a blanket statement of games made him violent. In a minority of cases, it may be the case, but how about we solve the underlying issues rather than just try to make an easy blanket statement.

• Guns don't make people violent. Violent people use guns. Something makes people violent, so what's the most logical cause?

• If that was the case, wouldn't our murder rate me at genocide levels?

According to some sources, 1900 years worth of Call of Duty matches have been played on average days.
    arcadesushi.com/.../

• weknowmemes.com/.../...-i-told-you-video-games.jpg
    I don't know, but Morpheous knows everything he lives outside matrix

• Do you think playing cooking games makes you want to cook more?

• There needs to be parental involvement and discussions with the kid about the media they consume. If the parent figures the kid can handle it, let them.

• Well if the child has been taught the difference of right and wrong among other things obviously this wouldn't be an issue but for kids who haven't it could have an affect on them.

• lulz.. no. anybody who says so is a dope.

• If that were true I'd be a serial killer by now.

• Funny, I literally just made a post about this concerning splatter films. As for my input, no. Violence among youth is a result of A: bad parenting, B: mental instability, and C: peer pressure. Anyone who blames the entertainment industry is just looking for an easy scapegoat.

• Of course

,,,

• yes I think it does

• No, but it might give them ideas (in the same way that watching the news might).

• Not necessarily.

• Nope, read the actual scholarly articles and real unbiased studies. No correlation at all. Parenting now there's one...

• no there is not scientific evidence to show that they do

• Sum total of life experience can damage anyone.