Why are profile pictures of yourself so important on here?

Why?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not to me, and that's precisely why I put up a picture of myself up when I first joined here. Because why not? I've done it many place else. It was no big deal. I didn’t even think twice about it. But then after a while I started getting random messages from people, and so I changed it to a picture I drew instead, but I still got messages and this time it was even worse than before. So then I thought it just really didn't matter whether I put a picture of myself up or not, because it didn't make a difference. So now I just put up whatever picture I want, may it be of myself or whatever else.

To answer what you're really getting at though, it's ego and beauty bias. However, it goes both ways and has less to do with the person putting up their picture than the one viewing it. The former may do it just because they want to or maybe to get attention or boost their ego - tons of reasons, but the latter is the enabler. It’s they who give these people attention. It's they who seek these people out, consciously or not, because they actually want to please them. Because they like and deem these attractive people as more valuable, being able to impress them becomes like adding value to their own selves.

Having said that, some people just really like to put a face to a name, just as they do words to a name. It’s why you hear people here call someone a coward for hiding behind the anonymous button when they say offensive things, even though essentially we are really all just anonymous here.

• That has more to do with the fact that you're a girl. Just the fact that you're a female and active will get you random messages.

I agree that it's the ladder that feed these people the attention.

• Yeah exactly. A lot of these guys are lonely, single, and virgins. They'll message girls just for female attention that they can't get in real life or at least that they feel they can't get in real life.

Girls on here give guys who have pictures of themselves a lot more attention to. Even to the point of exchanging nudes with them. Sure they won't do that off the bat, but the pictures attract the girl and the girl develops a "crush". She then expresses this or the guy finds out some kind of way and then they talk. She likes him more and more and nudes are exchanged.

The funny thing about it though is like I was telling someone else in real life everybody is fine with that. We all know that someone's appearance matters in real life. Yet people deny it when it comes to online interactions.

• Well, looks certainly plays a role. There's no denying that. I think they just got defensive from the way you worded your questions. X)

Most Helpful Guy

• If I don't know if she's pretty, how am I supposed to know if I agree with her?

• That seems to be a common theme.

• If anyone actually feels that way, I'd be surprised.

What Girls Said 17

• It is just nice to physically see who is giving us advice. I guess it just makes it more personal? At least in my opinion it does.

• Or is it nice to be physically attracted to them and treat them a certain way that you wouldn't if you didn't know what they looked like?

• Dude, you're over thinking this so much. 😂 Why does it even matter lmao?

• Why do you care to defend yourself so much? If it's something to laugh off then you wouldn't feel the need to respond.

• It is not important. It is your choice to have a profile picture up or not. That choice is solely up to you.

• And why do you have a picture of yourself in your profile picture?

• I can see what you mean. That shit really bothers me though. It's like why, why? (especially if they were engaged or in a relationship, if there were single, it's ok whatever floats your boat) I just find it awful and feel sorry for the guy they are with.

• Some things I can just remember.

Yeah true.

• I don't know I've just liked posting my pic on anything that I've joined whether it's just a game or site.

Even know we're just online I like to think that it helps the other people of GAG get to know me.

Oh and also I don't do social media. I haven't had one since MySpace so considering I'm always on here and they give me my own profile and allow me to express myself I see why not?

• You're also someone I've seen get sexually attracted to people on here who have pictures of themselves.

• Because you're arguing with me about something that you didn't even ask and are basically telling me that my opinion is false.

That is what I would call a know it all.

• It's debate. Again you act as though I'm forcing you to argue.

• Because people like to know who they're talking to and if it's like the correct gender and all that stuff

• Or people think this is a dating site because they can't get dates in real life?

• yeah that also, people tend to take these sites into dating sorta thing -.-

• They act like it.

• Only important to people who let them be.

• It isn't important. Nobody is pressuring you to put a picture of yourself up here. If you're feeling pressured, maybe you have to step back and ask yourself why it's such a big issue for yourself.

• Why is it important to you?

• Okay, but that doesn't make a picture IMPORTANT? I still enjoy talking to other people on here who don't have a photo of themselves.

• Whatever. I'll leave you be for now.

• It is not that important. It just makes complete your answers. I am who i am with my picture and my answers.

• its not important to me since i've never put my pic on here and its not gonna happen

• Yeah but you see other guys put up their profile picture and it attracts you no?

• who's that?

• You didn't answer the first question, but google him.

• So people can know who they are talking to

• It's not really, but personally when I scroll down the pictures catch my eye. So.. I dunno. People become familiar. I like being able to put a face to a name.

• The attraction matters. Just like a dating site.

• Um, except I don't treat it that way?

There are few people on this site i like, lot less than people that have pictures. Having pictures doesn't guarantee that I like someone. So no, I wouldn't like you more.

• You say that now

• It's not that they are important, it's just nice to put a face to a username.

• You draw more attraction towards it and people draw more attracted towards you... like a dating site.

• Lmao wow. That's a big jump from looking at a pic to sending a nude.

• It happens. People have admitted it on here.

• They're not important lol

• Is appearance important to you? Why do you always post pictures of yourself?

• I believe you.

• Thanks!

• It's really not that important at all.

• Sure it is. That's why you have a picture in your profile.

• I don't have a picture of myself in my profile picture. There are only two people on here I really like and yeah I know what they look like, but one really isn't that hot.

I've just noticed that people give more attention to those on here who they think are attractive. I've even tested this. To say it's not true is denial.

• I've always had my picture up but I don't think I was given very much attention.

• They not important to me , I honestly just put any pic I have from my pictures.

• Why? So others can admire?

• Are they? Not to me.

• Don't know. Don't care. I don't have a pic of me. This is also not a dating site. Also I don't care if a guy is attractive here or not.

• Do you think people on here treat it like a dating site?

• Yea, I think some do. And some do not

• Because a lot of people on here seem to think this is a dating sight...

• You must be right. Look at your downvotes. All female too. How cute.

What Guys Said 7

• Because I wanna look good for the girls. 😏😉
    Nah, I just prefer to let people know who they're socializing with.

• And you like socializing with girls who you think are attractive. This makes sense because people do this in real life. It's just people don't like to admit they do it on here.

• I ain't afraid to admit that. There are a shit ton of hotties on here. Nothing comes of it. Just a bit of banter and flirting dude. 😂

• Not true. Some girls have admitted to trading nudes with guys on here. Hell I've traded nudes with one on here before.

• Because no one wants to see people putting up crappy pictures of random animals they got from the internet. I mean, who would do such a thing? 😐

• They aren’t…

• But I've noticed if I have a profile picture of myself on here I get more attention. Others who have profile pictures of themselves on here get a lot of attention. Why does that matter? I thought people said they like personality more?

• Because the site gave you the option to. Simple as that. Just a blank to be filled.

• They are not.

• I dont know 😞

• They help filter out fakes