Why do people drink enough alcohol with the one intention to black out?

This might be a stupid question but why do people drink enough alcohol fully intending to black out or get serious drunk? There's no problem with drinking in moderation but I remember in high school I had to article in my health class about college students who want to drink so much that they want to black out and I thought that was the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Just recently I was invited to an annual Halloween party by my older sisters in-laws but it was never kid friendly but it was always about the drinking. My sister called her mother in law and told her to make it more kid friendly or she was not going to see her family at the party including her grandchild who is my niece but she said she did not care and that Halloween party would be still be centered on the alcohol. I don't get why people drink so much they can't remember a thing. I would rather travel the world, have once in a life time experiences, or just spend time with family than getting blacked out drunk.

Most Helpful Girl

• People do it because they're stressed, they want to escape or maybe they just don't know their limits. It's forgivable and acceptable once or twice but doing that on a regular occurrence is not healthy, brains cell will literally be getting killed off regularly and plus the risk of choking on vomit, liver damage, injury or being taken advantage of whilst that blind drunk should be enough to deter someone from doing it more than once but there will always be people out there who are just excessive. Pretty much takes all the fun out of drinking socially - to have fun - if you're all set to pass out from drinking too much. Pointless!

What Guys Said 4

• I don't think they are trying to black out.

The problem is your body takes time to process alcohol. Once you start drinking you get happy and keep drinking as you want to keep the feeling going.

Problem is people drink too much too fast. Once it's in your body it's too late. You stop because you know you've over done it but your stomach is full with more booze to process. Then you pass out.

Alternate water between drinks and you'll be fine. You body can handle 1 drink per hour. Drink faster and you over do it.

Young drinkers make this mistake all the time. The ones that do it with hard alcohol sometimes kill themselves.

You can do 10 shots in a row and feel invincible. 30 min later when your body processes it you are at.25.

This is why people get caught for drunk driving many times. They are ok when they get behind the wheel but then those 1-2 last drinks catch up with their body and they end up drunk.

• This is a fact. Only alcoholics can drink to a blackout.

• Nothing better to do...

• It's makes them feel good, temporarily

What Girls Said 4

• I have NO clue. Consuming so much alcohol that you lose control of your body is scary! Especially if you are out at the club with a bunch of strangers. There were a couple of nights where I unintentionally got so drunk that I physically felt a lack of control over my limbs. The first time was after a fashion show in a cathedral where I was mourning the loss of someone with the help of shot after shot after shot. One of my best friends and I got SO drunk that we tossed a bowl of pretzels on the floor and made snow angels. I was the HOTTEST MESS. -_- At one point, I was literately sobbing and twerking at the same time! Luckily for us, there was security who let us go where it was marked off because they pitied me lol? But I distinctively remember sliding off of the couch, star fish style, and feeling no control over my legs then kind of just melting to the floor and trying to flop my way back to the couch. Horrible, freaky feeling! I've forgotten bits and pieces but never completely forgotten the whole night! Those people probably have some serious demons they're trying to numb!

• its so sad because i remember when my brother in law first opened up about his parents drinking he said when they would travel or go places as a family his parents would go to the bar and spend all day there are he and his older sister would spend all day in the hotel just watching cartoons.

• @Asker... 8O WHAT! Pretty sure that's child endangerment! What in the world!

• They should have spent that vacay money on professional help smh

• I've never managed to actually drink so much to the point that I black out... But I have gotten seriously drunk quite a few times. I think its fun when you're with your friends. Its just the kind of feeling it gives you thats nice, and when you're drunk you're careless, and for me I often forget about problems of my daily life and just think about having a great time, helps you to really loosen up and relax sometimes. Some people like it some people don't. I'll probably grow out of it as I get older though, maybe...
    I would also love to travel the world and have once in a life time experiences but unfortunately I don't have enough money to do that. :/

• Some do it because they are depressed and want to forget their problems for a while others do it because they have an alcohol problem and can't admit to it when they need help

• they're unhappy with their life and they need an "escape" and blacking out allows that temporarily.

I'm just saying this from my experience. Besides my mom, i see 3 of all my family members maybe once a year, if i'm luckily. I don't have money to go see them and we're not close anyway so i can't do that. I definitely don't have money to travel the world. and my timid personality hinders me from experiencing life. I'm sure you'd rather do those things but you have the privilege to.

I don't drink anymore and these are not even the reasons i did but I know what's it's like to want to black out just to escape life