How to be less of a boring person?

I noticed that I am a boring person. I am not passionate about anything and I don't have any hobbies.
Whenever I get to know new people, I fear that they might think I am boring.

how can I stop being so boring? Any tips?

Most Helpful Guy

• I can relate to that feeling perfectly fine considering i'm in the same boat, as such I can only give theoretical advice and I'm not out of the frying pan yet.

There are two things to consider:
    - That your self-esteem is most likely low, which makes you less likely to focus on ANY positive quality you have: people would ask you "list some positive qualities about yourself" and you would have zero clue! Putting yourself down and thinking you're boring will just immobilize you rather than help you. You are most likely not as "boring" as you think.
    - That while your standards for yourself might be too high, there might still be truth to why you think others will perceive you as "boring": which is why you'd have to find things to do, invest time in things you like (rather than just stick around on GAG especially if you aren't proud of it and wouldn't mention it to anyone in real life) and what truly helps is having friends who do engage in social activity and get them to invite you (and be on the look-out for things to where you can invite friends as well).

Most people gather their information from other people they know. You don't just sit around at home and begin to know everything, even if you could watch a bunch of videos on WikiHow and finish online tutorial courses and practice alone.

So technically the proper solution is to find groups who are doing some kind of activity to which you can join in, while also seeking self-improvement on your own (learn how to cook for example, that's a useful skill).

Read this: www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/.../infopax.cfm

Most Helpful Girl

• Find something you enjoy, trust me I know what your feeling.
    I enjoyed softball , drawing, anime, comic storylines, studio ghibli, Disney movies from out age when there was actual music (I'm obsessed with musicals) I liked all that. Made some choices then I just dropped it all.
    And now I feel boring

I don't think your boring , you may have just forgot about the things you use to enjoy. If you have to go back to when you where a kid and start with finger painting I say do it. You just temporarily lost yourself it happens

• Thank you, this made me feel better!
      Thinking about it... I''ve never had real hobbies. Sure, sometimes I enjoy doing certain things for a few weeks but then I get bored. Nothing keeps me entertained anymore

• Ur welcome i know how it feels and how it feels worse when among other people who have their life together or seem to have their life togther. As for losing interest
      Mmm you could play Hobbie roulette , it's the same concept of Russian roulette without the gun n bullet lol. You can make a dartboard or wheel or write a bunch of random legal things to do on pieces of papers and each day pick something to do or try and see if it peeks your interest. And if it last for only a certain time then pick another one and so on n so forth.

What Guys Said 25

• Have something your passionate about, that always creates interest. Being able to tell a story helps as well. What I mean by that is knowing how to phrase things in a way that turns the mundane into something absurd or interesting. For instance (and this may be offensive to some so I appologize in advance) when some one asks how I feel at work when its been a bad day, "Well, I started to wonder what the barrel of a gun tastes like. I bet it tastes like gumdrops and rainbows." (obviously I am not condoning suicide) Thats something that sticks out and impacts a person, thats what I mean by telling stories. If you can put a spin on something mundane that always makes things more interesting. Having a passion even more so. If you are not the imaginitive/comedic type I would go with a hobby, prefferablly several. What interests you?

• Instead of working with theory , let's look at some success stories.

With us today, is interesting person-woman extraordinaire @XNicholeMariex3 . She pioneered the "Funny Voice Farm" project at the age of 4 and is currently leading project "Jolly Sailor Bold" with a team of people who refuse to give therapy a chance.
    Good morning , Nichole.

*AHHH GOOGLE WOOGLE WAGGLE DAGGELLLYE FUUBLE BUEEE
    BUUUURRRRRR

• That is how I am too. I don't have much to talk about, even if I do have an opinion on something I won't express it.

In terms of hobbies, I love music, I play guitar and bass guitar, I am making an electric bass guitar at the moment, I like TV shows old and new, video games ( but not as much as I used to), never dated so I can't talk about girls, don't have a good job so I say nothing about that
    Mostly I just keep to myself. I have about 2 friends and they are girls, and all this makes me a boring person.

I find that other guys only talk sports and know every statistic from games, I can watch a game, and would watch more if I were a successful person in life and was settled. But most things I am into I can't talk about much, people might find some of them cool, but can't discuss or understand anything about them.

• no one has no hobbies you may don't know it but I'm sure you love something and in the right time you will be passionate about it. and just try to learn new stuff music , reading , painting , dancing , watching movies or listening to music you know stuff like this

• You are not boring when you are knowledgeable and have an opinion. The perceived depth of a person is not determined by how exciting his or her live is. What really makes a person interesting is how deep they view the world and how they express their opinion.

• Well, you're not alone in this. I'm somewhat the same but Iove swimming and reading so I suppose that's the only two hobbies I've so far. Oh and wanting to know people is another. Anyway there must be something that makes you happy it could be anything like cooking, doing yoga, work out I don't know just find what you like and you'll be alright. But to be exact what's your average day like?

• Jump outside your comfort zone and experience new things people who are seasoned in them. Your initial reactions of shock and excitement will come off as warm and will encourage those people to show you more especially if ya show interest

• a lot of girls are boring... so to become a guy magnet or friend magnet you must jokingly tease others and be happy most of the time. Keep a nice smile on your face.

• Music preferences? Humour? Personal Language? Social compability? Social differencial (punk? Hipster? Ravedood?) Life views?
    If you are specified in any of those you will be less boring by nature.
    People who bore me are normally those who don't have an oppinion, I am oppinionless to people who I don't like or have no connection with so to me it represents a cold war

• just be yourself…why retend to be someone or something ur not when sooner or later the real u will come out...

• I don't think you are really boring. The first thing to do to become more intresting is realizing this.

• I feel the same way about myself, but I don't let it stop me from being not boring.

How can you stop being so boring? Avoid having this kind of mindset. Believe me, it'll work.

• I'm sure you'll be a really interesting person when you'll break out of your shell and will be more open to sharing you feelings and interests...

• Define 'boring'

I bet you cannot

• Boring as in when I meet a new person they tell me about their hobbies, their life, goals, achievements and it is so interesting to listen to everything.
      But I have nothing to tell and nothing to do, you know?
      I think normal people are anxious at times, excited, feel enthusiastic whereas I feel pretty much neutral towards everything that is happening around me.
      Sorry for all this rambling. I hope you get what I mean.

• i think it is a relative term that has different definitions for all.

• learn about everything, being really intelligent can be interesting.

• get drunk, dance on tables and have 1 night stands?

• People who have heard and seen are interesting.

• Get an own opinion about things

• I'm the same way

• get over it.

• There's nothing wrong with being boring. But don't be afraid of doing something new.

• Just be fun? I don't know. Just be yourself I guess?

• What do you do now?

• Lol I was boring in HS. Joined the Marine Corps after.. got kicked out for telling a staff sergeant to fck off and was NJPd. Came out got into engineering.. Became a bodybuilder did a chit load of steroids.. Graduated and I've been doing nothing but investing in stocks and I'm almost considered wealthy @ 24. I've fcked up so many things in my life but I think it's my mistakes that make me interesting. I'm not a role model by any means lol.. Maybe the engineering degree but nothing else.

• In other words go out experience the world and fuck up a bunch of times till you find yourself.

• First, just don't talk about yourself. No one wants to hear about that anyway. Ask them questions about themselves, and they'll think you're a great conversationalist.

As for not having a passion...

Passion is bullshit. Choose something, schedule a time for it everyday and just do it, whether you feel like it or not. Passion is developed, like a muscle. Just choose something you like reasonably well and keep at it.

What Girls Said 14

• To be honest, people probably don't find you boring. However, if you would like to expand your horizons and step out of your comfort zone, then I would suggest trying some different things. Take a class, learn a new skill, meet up with some new people, try some new things. Just do something to get out of the house once in a while. You may not enjoy every activity, but that's okay. You can start ruling out activities you don't like. And it won't be an experience wasted because you will have a story to tell about trying it :)

• Your not trying to be boring your just being yoself. Why try to impress others with who you are... If you want to be less boring do it for yourself. Try an Google personality quizzes. . or one on hobbies. Everybody has at least one hobby its bs if u say you don't. Just no there a million "boring" people like you. So don't feel bad. Just be you.

• So I am just being myself when I am being boring? I am not trying to impress anybody, it's just really frustrating knowing that my life is basically empty.. No hobbies. No joy. Nothing.

• Try this

http://www.seemypersonality.com/#q1

You have to have hobbies unless your an alien. I mean what do you do in spare time.

• I know that i'm super boring but my friends don't care. I like video games, and that's about it. oh, and sleeping, and eating. I don't like cable television, and that makes me a VERY boring person (for some unexplainable reason) but I like myself that way, and I could care less what people think. you should feel the same. if you like what you do (or don't do) then whomever you meet and would like to be your friend, shouldn't care if you're boring. they will like you for... you!!!

• Learn a skill. It's always interesting to talk to someone who can play an instrument, who has a hobby they're good at, who does personal projects at home etc. It can be anything. Cooking, painting, knitting, sculpting, sports, collecting, decorating. Start learning about new things, such as other cultures, astronomy, chemistry, biology, a new language. Visit a museum of art, or technology, or history. Start traveling if you can and explore the countries you go to. Take it all in and remember what you experience. An experience you find boring might be interesting to others. Knowing something others don't will automatically make you a more interesting person.

• Don't think too much about passion, just gain some hobbies.

Look at different hobbies and try them out.

Maybe start out by trying one hobby a week.

I am not passionate about painting, sports, etc but I started to like it after I tried them out.

• Give yourself opportunities to find things to be passionate about. Join a book club, join something that teaches you how to cook or knit or something. Try horseback riding, archery, bowling, tennis, skating? Take art classes (drawing, painting, sculpture, graphic design), join a choir, get involved in a house of worship, volunteer in a soup kitchen or animal shelter.

• You are interesting to someone out there, just remember that. Someone will find you completely fascinating even if you think you're terribly boring. But if you feel boring, take a risk and try something way way outside of your comfort zone that you think would be fun.

• Do thing you like and if not start finding or discover thing you might want to try!!!

• I used to be boring until I started going out more. Also travel as much as possible.

• It just depends what interests you have that attracts that person who shares common interests with you too.

• Don't worry about it at the moment. its just taking you a little longer to find your passion then others. you just need to branch out try diffrent things (art, music, dance, reading, writing, hiking, exercise , etc.). dont worry your find what's the right passion for you. and in the meantime if someone's rude and says your boring just say "bitch please you think I'm boring"

• Im boring too

• I know exactly how you feel. I used to feel terribly boring as if everyone else had so much more going for them and were so interesting. I realized I hadn't taken enough time to get to know myself. So I spent more time indulging and trying new things but gradually letting myself naturally gravitate to things. If I had spare time I'd say "What should I do to feed my soul?" This helped me come to terms with who I was because I realized that at first it didn't feel natural to force myself to intentionally find things that made me happy. But it became more clear the more I tried.

For the longest time I felt like I couldn't answer the "Tell me about yourself" type of questions. But I realized that my preferences are my preferences. I will say "I'm a really easy going girl, I much prefer being in intimate and quiet settings with a couple of friends than to be out going to clubs. I love the comforts in life so I love cuddling on the couch, watching some Food Network or reading or watching some documentary." I don't think that's boring at all and if someone else thinks it is then knowing them is a waste of time cause you'll always feel self conscious. There are chill people out there who aren't always on the go doing something super extraordinary. And later on I learned I love to bake and have an interest in science. You gotta stop thinking negatively about yourself. You are unique even if it doesn't feel like it. I felt like I didn't have real interests and then I realized I did. I was just being hard on myself when trying to impress others instead of being confident and proud of what I like. And when I started to be confident in that, I started attracting people who totally dug it and made me feel good and a lot less alone.

Some tips for finding yourself:
    - While you're figuring things out, if anyone asks you what you like to do, you can always say "Well I've tried a few things here and there such as this and this."
    - One thing that helped me was going on Pinterest. I started creating boards for things that even mildly piqued my interest. Forcing myself to commit to finding some interests
    - Learn more about the world. Watch some documentaries on Netflix or Youtube. Turn on the Science Channel or Food Network or History Channel, etc. Visit Khan Academy. Pick a topic that you don't know much about like religions of the world and research that in your spare time. Being open and knowledgeable can facilitate gaining interests.

• Find the things you like, things you are good at. Adventure, try new things. This way you'll always have stories to tell. Think of interesting questions to ask others in conversations (or look them up) and then come up with answers for them yourself. Hope this helps