Do you think it's hypocritical for meat-eaters to say they love animals?

Sure, they may love dogs, cats, whatever... But is it fair of them to generalize and say that they love ANIMALS? If you love them, why eat them? πŸ˜„ It just kinda annoys me tbh, it's obvious that people who eat meat and say they love ANIMALS (like, all animals) are lying to themselves.

Shouldn't have asked this question... Answers make me super sad.
AGAIN - I'm didn't ask this because I'm against meat-eaters or anything.

Most Helpful Guy

• hypocritical? no. Just inaccurate. It's a turn of phrase that says more than it means. A generalization, like saying "I go to work every day." Obviously, this probably excludes the weekends, but to call it hypocritical when they don't go to work on the weekends is simply a misapplication of the word.

Now, if they make a point of stressing that they love all animals, without exception, but then eat some of them, I can see how that could be considered hypocritical. But even then I wouldn't necessarily agree. i. e. a person who loves all animals would love, for example, tigers. Tigers that kill and eat gazelles (another animal that they presumably love). It seems a bit of a disconnect to assume that a love of an animal renders one incapable of thinking of it as a source of food, considering that a love of another animal necessitates thinking of the first animal as a source of food.

Most Helpful Girl

• When most people say they love animals, it usually means they love animals they couldn't ever convince themselves to eat. It's not necessarily that they're lying to themselves, it's just that the phrase is too general for something that's more specific than that. Also, it's possible some people value different animals differently based on various reasons. It's not like they're saying they love all animals equally, right?

What Guys Said 54

• Is it hypocritical that vegans say they love nature but then eat what nature produces?
    Sorry, but that's a stupid statement. I love animals and I love meat. We are omnivores for a reason, it's in our nature to eat animals, but doesn't mean we can't love them. We don't kill them just because, we kill them for a specific reason, and that is to keep us alive.

• That's a false analogy, vegans eat food from nature because we need it to stay alive, you eat meat because you are so self-righteous that you think that satisfying your taste buds can justify taking the life of another animal. by the way, if you tried eating meat like a real omnivore you'd die within a week of food poisoning (assuming that you don't choke first). So it's not hypocritical for vegans to say that they love nature (not that all of them do) and eat from nature but it is hypocritical to say you love animals and to kill them.

• @adquidorator ok buddy, go eat your salad

• I'm not a fan of salads, I prefer green smoothies. But if you think that you're somehow proving a point by declaring "that I can eat meat and you won't stop me" (and of course saying that I'm just going to go on killing helpless animals to prove a point just shows both immaturity and cowardice) which everyone is already aware of all you're doing is showing how weak your position is and encouraging people who are on the fence in the animal rights to the other side.

• I love planet Earth but I'm also destroying it

Humans are hypocrites

People have to eat regardless of what they like and what they don't like

• Well, I'm a meat eater, I'd be lying if I said I love all animals. I have nothing against them, of course, but love is very strong word.

• Hard debate

But
    - our bodies are not desgined for 100% vegetarian. Most animals that are have 4 stomachs to digest cellulose.
    - ours teeth are made for meat and non meat
    - since the dawn of man kind, meat was part of our diets, its what made us into who we are
    - most primates eat meat
    - going all vegan might actually Kill more animals and insects, yea thats right... destroying ecosystems to produce bread, tofu and all those veggies destroy their natural habitat.. imagine all the money hungry humans, they would go out there and start owning and destroying land just to make a buck of all the vegans in the world
    - at a biological and chemical persepective... you can't get away from eating meat.. just in a different form - animals eat meat,, they excrete waste into the ground, those plants absorb the broken down bonds and it all recycles back into the food chain

But sure i understand its a good cause and coming from a good place BUT we really dont know the real affects to going all vegan. If there is any even

• Google "Top Soil Erosion".
      It'll give you a good idea of what would happen. It doesn't look good

• "our bodies are not desgined for 100% vegetarian. Most animals that are have 4 stomachs to digest cellulose." That's true for foliovores but not frugivores or granivores, their stomach's just like ours.
      "ours teeth are made for meat and non meat" No, raw meat is incredibly difficult for us to chew.
      "since the dawn of man kind, meat was part of our diets, its what made us into who we are" If we're omnivores in any sense of the word it's wouldn't be that we're supposed to eat half plants and half red meat it's that we're supposed to eat 95% plants and 5% bugs.
      "going all vegan might actually Kill more animals and insects, yea thats right" No it will kill less because what you're forgetting is that you can't just plop a piglet in a pen and expect it to grow; you have to feed it and that would take up even more farmland than a vegan diet.
      From a biochemical standpoint you can't but from an ethical one you can.

• I always found it a bit funny that people don't see the irony in that. This one girl in my office, claimed to hate people, and love animals, and talked of giving to animal charities. Of course, she ate meat, she was a big meat eater, essentially unreflective about it, aside from the odd token comment about giving a shit, like most people nowadays. Whereas, I don't particularly like animals, would say so publicly, and she would berate me for it, and of course, I don't eat meat (I eat fish though, if that makes a difference). I'm not professing any kind of moral superiority, since I used to engorge myself on it, and may even go back to eating a bit of it, if I struggle with my health; and of course, the only way people are going to reflect on any habit is with a gentle, non judgmental example, rather than setting oneself up in opposition, as is the default setting in society.

My martial arts instructor says something interesting. Don't be a hypocrite. ie don't make the shape, without the underlying power. Don't do good deeds, if in reality, you don't actually give a shit. Don't play lip service to anything, if you can't follow it through.

• If you love animals so much then why do you eat their food? You want them to starve to death?

• Eating meat consumes more resources as the animals you eat need to eat to - we could feed more animals if everyone was vegan so your criticism of her doesn't add up.

• When most people say they love animals, they mean they love some animals. Just like people who say they love food. They actually mean food that tastes good to them and all that nasty shit can go to hell.

I'm sure you've done the same at some point to a lesser extent. But go ahead with your topic point. Making abstract statements by someone literal and making it a talking point always ends well.

• I strongly disagree, i love animals and love meat. There is nothing wrong with that.
    The fact i care about the well being of animals has nothing to do with my natural desire to eat meat. I am always kind towards animals, love to be arround them most of the time and in case of pets they are great company! But when its dinner time i expect a nice peace of meat to be on my plate.

This is a very natural process of population control. If it wasn't then why would we have lions killing and eating animals? Do lions hate animals? Are lions angry at animals? Ofcourse not, lions are hungry.

• "This is a very natural process of population control." It would be if we weren't force breeding them in the first place, and yes it is utter hypocrisy. That's like saying I love women yet I rape them out of a desire to do so

• Yeah, it is my life and unlike you I actually give a shit about the lives of others.

• Life is futile my friend the more you fight death the more you are simply prolonging the inevitable. The difference between you and me is that I am able to understand the way things work in this world and you simply don't give a shit since you are already full of it.
      The asker of this question is probably tired of looking at our comments so out of respect for her... stop. If you want to whine about me some more or whine about the way the world works PM me and I will be happy to carry on this redundant conversation, if not then good day.

• I say I love animals even though I eat a lot of meat. you can call it hypocritical and maybe you are right, but I can assure you that it's true if I say I love animals. I like everything about them, I love being around them and I could never hurt or kill one myself. and it doesn't matter if it's my cat or a cow, mouse or anything else. I feel much happier around animals than humans and they are one of the few things which make it easy for me to show emotions...

why do I eat them? I don't have a very good explanation for it... I grew up with it and if I eat a sausage or steak then I don't see the animal behind it. the majority of my friends are vegetarians or vegans and I'd prefer to be one too, but I would be very unhappy that way... not because I miss the taste of meat, but because I don't like the majority of vegetables. I tried it and I just can't. I'm extremely picky with food... I might get along as long as I cook for myself, but if I eat somewhere else (which I have to do most of the time, at least for now), I won't like it... I know it sounds fucking stupid but I can't change it.
    but I don't differentiate between pets and other animals... we had a rabbit and I'm still okay eating them, and if dog or cat steaks would be common here then I'd eat those too if I'd like the taste, because like I said I don't see the animal behind it, I don't think about it, it's something normal for humans to do, that's how I got taught.

think whatever you want about it, but I love animals in general and I don't care what other people think about it.

let me ask you: do you love animals? yes? then why do you drink milk even though you need all the shit happening around it...
    quote from you:
    "I believe it's bad and kinda cruel too. There are a lot of shit milk and humans are the only 'animals' on the planet who steal mama's milk from other species.
    That being said, I still drink milk."
    now you can say "but I still love them!"... yes and I say the same with eating meat.

• This was just a question...
      I'm perfectly aware I can't call myself a 100% animal lover :)

• I know... don't take the last bit as a personal attack ;)
      it was just easier making my point like that.

when I read the question 2 or 3 hours ago I first didn't want to answer it... because I know I can't give a good explanation to it and explaining things in English with longer texts takes me always fucking forever, 45 minutes in this case... but just imagining someone thinking I don't love animals get tears in my eyes lol so I just went through it even though I don't think I explained very well what I wanted to say :(

• It's just part of life I kill and eat food killed by others to survive just like any animal would do to me in turn. That doesn't mean I don't love animals though or that I enjoy killing them.

I mean I love people but if someone put me in a situation were I had no choice but to kill them I'd still do it even though I do love people.

It's just part of life the food chain, the circle of life, whatever you'd like to call it.

• Nope. It would be like saying it's hypocritical to like people in general while you hate certain individuals. You can have both. I do like cats and dogs but that does not mean I won't enjoy miself some good ol' pork or chicken. And I don't hate pigs or chickens. I just find them tasty.

• Same goes with vegans they love the world yet they're killing trees and eating the world

• No, because we are animals=> we're consumers, not producers=> if we don't eat something we'll die. But meat is not a necessity so it's a false analogy (BTW, not all vegans are environmentalists)

• @adquidorator it is or else we would be a bunch of twig boys with no strength

• News flash: there's no evidence that vegans are physically weaker.

• This statement is wrong, if you say you love animals it'd mean you love ALL animals wich is very slim
    HOWEVER i had a bunny wich i was crazy about, i loved it and cared for it, but just becuase i love that one spesific bunny doesn't mean i won't eat bunny meat

It would be like saying : Becuase i love my wife/gf i love all humans

• I eat meat and I love animals.

Some animals I love because I love eating their meat. Some animals I love because I've formed a true bond with them and don't intend on eating their meat.

But to reconcile this dichotomy, one must first be honest with themselves and acknowledge their human nature. Humans eat meat. In order to eat meat, we need to kill animals. This is our nature. However, just because we kill animals, doesn't mean we have to be assholes to animals before they die.

When we meat eaters truly love animals, we will care about the quality of life of the animal, we will appreciate the life that has been taken away for our meal, and we are less likely to waste food and waste any part of the animal that's been killed for us.

• "In order to eat meat, we need to kill animals." Have you ever heard of a scavenger?
      "This is our nature. " Humans have no traits in common with omnivores that omnivores don't already share in common with herbivores.
      "However, just because we kill animals, doesn't mean we have to be assholes to animals before they die." cutting someone off on the street is being an asshole, raising animals to slaughter is just inhumane and wasteful.

• @Tarvold He doesn't think just read all of his comments above for reference.

• @Tarvold "and what do you think will happen to the world if we all turned to scavenging for meat?" We wouldn't be squandering so much food as animal feed and we could feed the starving populous of the world.

• Well there is this thing called the food chain and we as humans are at the top of it, should that dynamic ever change I don't think whatever takes our place at the top will have any issues devouring us.

• Nope. I like all types of animals.

But my favorite foods usually have had a mother at some point before being put on the grill.

• I don't love animals, so no hypocrisy over here 😊

Also, Mesonfielde is right, they've already been killed. If you don't eat it , someone else will. And if somehow nobody eats it, then that animal was killed for nothing.

• 1. You are an animal
      2. If nobody eats it, there is a drop in demand for the product=> less animals killed.

• @adquidorator
      1. you point?

2. Only if a large group of people went vegan. On an individual level it makes no difference.

• 1. So you don't give a crap about humans?
      2. The average person consumes 31 animals per year, so it does make a difference.

• That's just as dumb as asking if a Vegetarian/Vegan/Whatever is a hypocrite for loving nature when they eat products of life. Considering that most humans are omnivores, are we all hypocrites for loving anything on Earth? Does that make everyone a liar? Are you a liar? Does this mean we aren't supposed to appreciate nature at all just because we eat it? ._.

• Why not ask this question to a lion in Africa? Does he feel sympathy for that gazelle that he just killed near the watering hole, or not? I am certain that if this lion can talk he did laugh.

Certainly animal welfare is a huge issue, and as a smarter species we can give livestock a better life, but what do we do with them if we stop eating meat? Do you think they will just live in the forest? These animals have been bred over thousands of years to live around us. They will never make it in the woods. Other animals such as wolves will kill them.

I am in support of organic, and grass fed beef for example to stop animal cruelty, but I have no sympathy for slaughtering an animal to eat. It is food. In the end something will eat it regardless if it is us, or another animal. I find any other point to be stupid, but you are welcome to disagree with me regardless. This is just my talking point over here.

• I love animals, but I do eat them. There are some I would eat and some I wouldn't because of my personal preference. Most animals are very content with simple things like; food, water, shelter and a place where they can wander freely. If an animal has all of these things and is butchered humanely at an appropriate age, then I don't think it was a very a bad life for them.

• That's the thing, meat industry mostly is extremely inhumane and cruel

• Animal cruelty is the worst. I dare say that the area I live in has pretty good standards with regard to animal treatment, so I am more comfortable eating meat here than other places in the world. That being said I do still eat meat other places in the world without inquiring how the animals were treated before they were butchered. It's of course always my sincere hope the animals I eat have been treated with respect and humanity, but I know that's not always the case. That's maybe what makes me a little bit hypocritical when I say that I love animals. But there are many wrongs being done in the world by other people and I don't think you should go around changing your life and your habits for things that 'might be' bad. If you did then you would have a very busy and stressful life. When I see or hear about animal cruelty then I do something about it; act, donate, spread awareness etc. and I think if most people did that as well, then this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

• I love animals, and I love their taste. We as humans are naturally omnivores, so yes, our tongues and stomachs do respond well to eating other animals. Only plants isn't even that healthy. No one LIKES the fact that we slaughter them, but if we refused to eat them, they would still be slaughtered nonetheless.

• We have no traits in common with omnivores that omnivores don't already share in common with herbivores. If you don't believe me try eating meat the way a real omnivore would; raw, not plucked, all of the organs, not drained of blood and 10% of your weight in meat in 1 sitting.

• @adquidorator Without things like bugs and meats we would have LOTS of trouble getting the proteins we need, therefore eating both is more efficient.

• No, only 8% of our caloric intake has to be from protein, and that can easily be accomplished on a plant based diet.

• No but i think it this way. I rove animals and sympathize them for their death and pain so i dont think i would ever kill one but if its for meat, i wouldn't kill one either but would be better off if sumone does it cuz i dont wanna exp. the pain these animals go through but look at reality, we need meat to survive! We can rove animals and eat meat at the same time but i wouldn't dare to lay ma hands on one and took its life.

• well you can love an animal and still eat it, canΒ΄t you? iΒ΄d eat a cat or a dog, iΒ΄m not hypocritical :P

• Hey, I buy them off the shelves when they're already cut down. If I don't, someone else will. I don't kill them, I just eat them.

I do love most animals, but when I say that, I typically mean hamsters, rabbits, and dogs.

• I guess if you have the mindset that everything is black and white and super simple, then yes it's hypocrisy. But take American tribal cultures for instance. They loved and respected all life. But they still ate meat.

What I'm saying is they understood what an ecosystem is and that they had a part in it.

• But I only like dogs anything else is fair game.
    I mean we can say we love animals but we also need to eat.

• We don't need meat, next time check your facts before you post BS.

• @MissNowhere Vegans enjoy getting precious over life, expecting the world to adhere to their views like a spoiled child. To weigh in for you vegans a few of my buddies are vegan, but they lack the physical strength and tend to become extremely moody overall. So to say that your feelings get hurt every-time I chow down on a slice of meat makes no difference to me nor the other guy, humans were omnivores from the beginning. Saying that we are primarily plant eaters is not based on scientific fact but simply neglect of logic.
      And @adquidorator telling people (not just me) that their logic is stupid without backing up jack shit does not make friends, assuming you are trying to have others stop eating meat. If you were really so concerned about animals getting killed you would put aside your moody behavior instead of swearing and complaining about how people live their lives. But we all have a different way of arguing. Some more efficient than others, you are lacking in any direction.

• "Vegans enjoy getting precious over life, expecting the world to adhere to their views like a spoiled child." It's not a matter of us expecting the world to adhere to your views it's a matter of you forcing billions of animals to suffer and die and millions to starve to death (google trophic interractions) because in your elitist worldview your culinary satisfaction could somehow justify that. We are simply trying to get you to KEEP YOUR EATING HABITS TO YOURSELF AND NOT FORCE THEM ON OTHERS. As for your claim about needing meat, it's pretty common knowledge that we don't need meat to survive as many people do.

• Life feeds off of life. There's no getting around that.

But it doesn't justify the torture many factory farms induce their animals into.

• No it isn't. Most the people who go on about that have serious personality flaws, and should consult their local mental health professional.

• Animals eat animals. Humans are technically animals and eat animals. You can still love certain types of animals while being an omnivore like most people are.

• Humans have no traits in common with omnivores that omnivores don't already share with herbivores.

• I DO love animals - especially with gravy!

• More from Guys
    24

What Girls Said 22

• it's not that we are lying to ourselves, but as children, we are not shown this awful slaughtering, yet we are fed and learn to love what we like... as we grow up, some of us find out and decide to take a different path, while others decide to not face it, and some honestly never really look into it...

The thing is that at one point, this was necessary as the cycle of life... our kind would not have survived without hunting... we now have resources and are far better off than our ancestors but it has become a custom now.. what was once 'needed' now has become a part of life.

I'm against animal cruelty and anything inhumane.. I do however eat eggs and chicken and fish... and I do find it extremely sad the why in which all these animals are treated for the sole purpose of our delight... it's awful. .. just the same as when you kill a roach, even though i despise this creepy crawler, i would not tolerate anyone making it suffer... does that mean I like this omnivorous? no, not at all. So just the same, just because I continue what our ancestors started as a means of survival, does not mean I hate these animals.

And just because something, cannot talk does not mean it doesn't feel... such as a vegetable, a fruit, the plant itself and trees.. so what shall we do? die? because everything is practically a living creature?
    It's a cycle of life, if animals thought the way you did, they'd all die...

However, just like anything else, we should not abuse this... the problem is that the demand in food is high because people like to gorge, and that makes it all a tragedy because then people are in a hurry to breed and feed and slaughter as fast as possible, instead of doing it in a more humane way... .. we all need to stop eating so fucking much!

• I love animals. I just love them in different places. Some in my pasture out back, some at the foot of my bed, and some on my plate.

• Not really, I love humans but I'd still kill some of them if I could. I like animals but not every animal. Having been a vegetarian for a long time (no longer one now) I can say the thing which annoys me is many meat eaters refusal to accept the process. From field to plate. These animals get slaughtered, butchered, tortured in many places but people dont want to connect pain and suffering and gallons of blood with their steaks.

In an ideal world I would keep any animals I ate and would kill them myself, but how my life is at the moment doesn't allow for that... unless I fancy killing one of the hens for putting in the pot, but I like the hens. They keep me company in the garden and eat slugs :)

• Why did you decide to stop being a vegetarian, out of curiosity? I suppose the issue indeed is the wider disconnection from nature. I might add in small amounts of meat into my diet, for the time being (it seems right for me, where I am now). For me it's not about the eating meat, it's about doing it unreflectively, and thus, disrespectfully and without appreciation. It's just a slab of meat, without as you say, any awareness of the process, and the sense of arrogant entitlement to boot.

• @Levin out of necessity really. I was extremely poor and living a long way from home, I got fed at work so lived on five meals a week and they didn't really understand what a vegetarian was, ha! They would get your meal ready for your break so sometimes I'd just have to eat what was there, not time for ethics when you're starving, ha!

After that I just got into trying all the food I never had before, I became veggie at quite a young age so I'd never eaten steak, I had only eaten cod as far as fish went, I learnt to cook properly and wanted to try all these foods. I do of course have my own sense of detachment from the whole Meat Process, I don;'t picture dying cows when picking up some minced beef but I am aware of what our penchant for easily acquired protein entails.

• Humans are omnivorous and so eat flesh. Do I advocate for responsible animal husbandry to avoid unnecessary suffering to the animals I do eat? Yes. Getting mad at people who eat meat but don't want them to suffer is like getting mad at a cheetah for eating a gazelle.

• then it is hypocritical for vegans to say they love trees or plants.. they are lying to themselves.. ;P :D

• what vegans are saying that?

• @adquidorator oh i can show you strong.. but i have a test tomorrow and i don't want to waste my time with you.

• I'll wait :)

• Oh, I am very fond of animals, but the ones I eat aren't usually cuddly... so I don't see them as pets.
    I love animals I can pet and animals that are fascinating.

Animals eat animals. And humans are also animals.

• I adore animals but that doesn't mean I can't eat them... Don't you think vets love animals or zoo workers, they still eat meat

• I am vegetarian and I think it is hypocritical for meat-eaters to say they love animals but its even hypocritical for me to say I love animals because I still drink a lot of milk and eat yogurt and other milk products. It does annoy me but then I consider myself as one of those "hypocrite" too.

• I'm sure they meant they love their pets or a specific animal love. As for me, I have no problems eating animal meat and nope, don't like every single animal in the world.

Love is too strong. That should be apply for maybe someone or something you feel strongly about such as a faithful dog.

• I say I love animals because well, either they are cute or loyal or likeable in general, which is why I try to avoid eating animals as in not request for it or buy it but if it's already on the plate then I will eat it.

• No I eat meat but you don't see me literally killing animals. Humans need meat. If I see how they put animals down or hunt them it really disturbs me because I have a heart I'm not heartless. I think as long as the animals are put down humanely it's fine. I always give thanks because I know that animal gave its life so I could eat. You wanna be vegan go right ahead, honestly nobody gives a shit you know? Its like saying you're nice but you want to be a shit talker. There's hypocrites everywhere.

• Yes and no. But I only say that about the die hard animal activist whether it's for one animal species or the entire animal kingdom. I have a mutual respect for animals. In the end it's about survival. I'd eat a dog if there was no other food source around. :)

• Does that mean vegetarians and vegans let all the spiders and other insects including mosquitos live (off them) in their houses? Probably not.

Also, it could also be phrased the other way around.. if vegetarians loved all animals so much, they would keep all kinds of animals, not just the "cute ones". That's discrimination against the uglies right there lol

• *sigh* This is why I want to become vegan, but my family forces me to eat meat. I will definitely do I when i move out.

I love animals so much and I feel bad when I eat them... I've loved them so so long... All animals, even the ones that we use as food :'(

• Sorry for the typos. :(

• so you hate plants and trees? that give us oxygen to stay alive? :o! wow... people who bash others for eating animals are hypocrites in a sense by eating other living things as if they are doing something much more nicer only because they cannot talk? ... sad...

• @skully Who was a bashing? You guys can eat meat, nothing wrong with that. I don't condemn others food choices... I just don't particularly like eating animals anymore. Besides, what else are we supposed to eat? Cardboard? Plastic? I wasn't trying to offend anybody. Sorry if I did… :/

• I love animals.

They taste good.

• I love certain animals.

These pigs are being butchered regardless.
    Might as well not let their death go to waste and eat them.

• That is a very bad way of thinking.

• I won't go into details, but every single person can make an impact.
      This question is not me bashing meat-eaters like many people are making it out to be, it's something completely else. 😣

• @MissNowhere is right in regards to the impact one person can make. Never go into something thinking you're going to make to huge revolution. Focus on what you can and how you can change the situation. Just because people still litter and don't recycle won't stop me from recycling and picking up garbage. :)

I do agree with you @rorschach_ on wasting food that has already been prepared but if there is little demand then the producers will start cutting back.

• i always say i love cats
    i never kill or hurt cats

• That picture is disgusting. I'm a meat eater and I asmit to people that I'm not a animal person. In fact I think cats and dogs stink really bad. People look at me funny but then go to burger King and buy a burger with beef

• Same, it's totally shallow and ridiculous in my opinion

• They love them so much, they want to ingest them!

No but I'm not sure. I like the taste of chicken, but I honestly cannot eat rabbit, lamb or anything like that. I guess maybe ones that say all the time how much they love animals, but then eat the baconater deluxe turducken cheeseburger is hypocritical in a way. The ones that annoy me are the ones that just go hunting for sport and still claim they love animals... like how can you just kill, not even eat the thing you killed, and still claim you love animals? Idgi.

• No i dont think its hypocritical. I do love animals, even the tasty ones...

• Nope I love my dog and bunny. I'll never eat them , but I'll eat a turkey, chicken and a deer!!