Would you rather live in a house or an apartment?

• House / Homestead
  • Apartment / Flat
  • I would rather live in a hotel room
  • Depends
  • It doesn't matter
  • I don't know
  • Results / Other Opinion & Comment

Most Helpful Girl

• If i had a family a house if not a apartment

Most Helpful Guy

• House...
    The apartment bothers me just because of the people above and below me that I need to think about sometimes

What Girls Said 8

• I'd rather live in an apartment until I find the love of my life and get married. Then I would want a house.

• A home or condo work for me. I can own either one. A condo is nicer to not have to cut the grass and all that, though.

• Anywhere I don't have to deal with upkeep

• Apartment/flat

I don't think I will be able to manage an entire house.

• An apartment

• I live in my own house I could never live anywhere else.

• Nice loft apartment.

• House, definitely... I don't like flats.

What Guys Said 8

• I would definitely prefer living in a house but unfortunately, in my country Switzerland that is a very costly thing and not many people can actually live in a house. The most important reason for this is that we are a very small country and our population density is quite high. At the same time, we absolutely love our nature. Swiss people adore their forests and lakes and mountains etc.. Because of this, the prices for buying land are extremely high (everywhere, not just in the big cities). Generally speaking, the cheapest free-standing, normal-sized (one family) houses start around 1 million USD. That is if you live somewhere in the countryside. If you live in a big city, it can easily rise to several millions for a 5 or 6 room house. On top of that, there is a law in Switzerland that says that you have to provide at least one third of the house's actual price or in other words: the mortgage cannot be higher than two thirds of the actual price. This is very different from America where any average Joe can buy a house even if he just works a poorly paying job. The reason for this law in Switzerland is that housing crises like the one in 2008 in America (speculation bubbles) can't happen. In Switzerland, only people who have a lot of savings and can prove that they have a steady and high income can buy a house. So for example if you want to buy a house for 1,2 million USD, you need to have at least 400,000 USD sitting in your saving account and you have to provide documents that prove that you have a monthly income of at least 6,000 USD or something like that. If that's not the case, you're not allowed to buy a house. Now, if my girlfriend and me decided to just work hard for the next 15 years, live a frugal life and save up a lot, we could probably buy a house together. But we want to have children and we don't want to wait until we're 40 to have children and as you perhaps might know yourself, children eat up a lot of money :-).

• Single house if in a small town.
    Apartment if in a big city.

• I've lived in a house my entire life, so I prefer a house.

• If I were single, I'd want a condo. If I were dating/married, I'd want a house.

• House and alone :P In an apartment you usually have to be careful about everything but in your house you do whatever you want with it. Also more space :)

• I live in a house.

• Macaws would be too loud for an apartment, so I'd have to go with a house.

• Houses are almost always better choice compared to apartments