Is this the same thing, double standard and or racist?

A person says "you look good, for a black person" You'd think, well, are blacks ugly or something, usually, right?

Well, how is that any different than

a girl saying to another girl "you're pretty for a girl, but, I'd never date you".

I mean, really?

Most Helpful Girl

• In the first case, the mention of his race was irrelevant. You could've just said he looked good. By mentioning his race you make it seem that all the other members of that race are unattractive.

In the second case, while the mention of gender doesn't seem that necessary, it could be included because the person speaking isn't into girls and the girl in question could be. So she could be saying that while I find you attractive even tho you're a girl, I couldn't date you because I'm into guys.

• Well then why can't a guy say "you look pretty for a black girl, still not date a black girl, but find her cute"? Why is it turned in to an insult

• If she's just talking amongst other girls and randomly says that then yeah, there was no reason for her to include the for a girl part. But even still, that's not the same as singling out a race.

• But it's singling out an entire gender

Most Helpful Guy

• I think a better example is
    "He is a good looking guy, no homo"
    Uhm... By saying you are good looking for a black person, is basically calling someone's race generally ugly, and they are an exception

It's a big insult to the entire race

• But why isn't it offensive for a "straight" girl to say "oh, you're pretty, for a girl"

• But it's coming from another straight girl...

• Shouldn't matter, a straight girl supposedly should not be saying "she's pretty, for a girl'

What Girls Said 3

• When has this happened?
    And how do you know about it? Hahaha

A girl saying this to another girl... Hmmmm
    In my mind this means the girl is straight and thinks that other girl is pretty for a girl (but she's attracted to guys - hence the 'for a girl' comment), but not attractive enough for her to date if she were a lesbian.
    Not sexist or racist or any kind of a double standard. o. O

The first one is racist, though.

• Well.. You're implying that other blacks are unattractive, and you look good, for a black person.
    How insulting.

• So how is that different than a straight girl saying "she's pretty, for a girl"

• The first example and the second one do not correlated.

Who says that shit?👀

What Guys Said 4

• It's a complement to the individual but an insult to their race

• But why is it not offensive for a "straight" girl to say "oh, she's pretty, for a girl"

• Because as a straight girl, it's to be expected that she wouldn't be attracted to another girl.

• Exactly

• It's a backhanded compliment. Not a very nice thing to say.

• Except no one say ''you're pretty for a girl''

• The second one sounds like the girl is sexist against her own gender. It's not the "I'd never date you" part it's the "You're pretty for a girl" part.