Can someone tell me when America was truly great?

There is political talk of "bringing America back". What year is this? Was America great before the 1920's and women could not vote? Was America great when we could hang a black man and the local sheriff helped hold him while he was tied? Was America great when we had slavery? Was America great when we had no child labor laws? Can someone tell me what time perdiod these politicians are referring to?

• When we could beat our wives and not be prosecuted
  • When we could hang black people and not be prosecuted
  • When we had slaves
  • When there were no voting rights for women and little children had to work in factories
  • When we able to kill off any random Native Americans or Mexicans
To older and wiser. Seems like you love commenting but never ever answering the question. Seems also that the status quo is good enough for you. Hey why not improve what we have.
Knowing history and avoiding the same mistakes is not self-flagellation by the way. Understanding our past is essential to not repeating it. Whitewashing our history, worshiping a flag and spouting hate towards others that worship a different god or speak differently than another is not progress.

Most Helpful Girl

• i dont know what donald trump means by that and honestly i dont know if i want to know what he means by that. Because america always had major problems, no rights for women, slavery, native American genocide, or tiny humans crawling around in machines and only get paid a dollar max. but i like your mindset you dont romanticize the past like many people i know, saying the infamous line, "i was born in the wrong generation" when people say that, i just feel like saying, do you like a lack of womens rights, little to no equality, genocide that seemed to be ok with people.
    storytime:
    10 months ago i told an older gentleman that this generation has big plans and legalizing gay marriage was one of them. he said if gay marriage was legalized, it would be an abomination. (obviously he has never heard of ashley madison) you can imagine my happiness when it was legalized.

• Holy Jeez you are my mind twin. You are way ahead of your time and am happy to know you are a voice in our world. Cheers to you. You are most helpful/best answer so far. Have you checked out the other answers?

• thanks for MHG!

• You are quite welcome for most helpful gerrymanderer :P

Most Helpful Guy

• I think America was at it's best when the natives still ruled the country. All of those "great" era's of America have always been fabricated by Pr & movies. Like the roaring 20's and the 1950's.

To be honest I only see a country as "Great" when there is equality for everybody, no racism, no sexism, and no poverty, freedom for everybody and no war. Can you think of any country that is like that? I sure can't.

• Well they weren't all that great either. Before the Spanish landed in mexicko the aztecs spread terror throughout much of the continent because they enslaved the surrounding people, cut their beating hearts out and rolled them down pyramids

• Perfect answer Jay. Thank you so much.

What Girls Said 7

• I think the period of time when husbands could beat wives behind closed doors is the time most people think about when they say "good old days" like the 50's when everyone knew their place.
    But I agree, America has always been fucked up

• I agree completely.

• I agree, it's always weird living in somebody elses home after killing the owners.

• Well as Americans we may not see it that way but there are millions of people who come legally or illegally for the great u. s. a
    They see greatness an American dream we dote on all the things that are wrong or horrible things in history but all countries have horrible and much worse history than that of the u. s.

• i think they mean the 80s

• Ahh the failed war and drugs, Aids and the crack epidemic. Also the Iran Contra scandal and massive corporate corruption must have made it a perfect place. Also crime was way up then.

• thank you i always hold my handbags tight when i sleep. now i can rest at ease (-_-) zzz

• Hahaha cute :)

• Most people think of the 50s and 60s when there was a large middle class, because shcoker, tax rates were high.

• Tax rates were better actually. The tax on the very rich was a little too high and the tax rate on the middle class was too low. Wives were legally beaten and black people were hung with no consequences. Also we started the Vietnam war (technically started in 1945). That war was a travesty and disgusting. So many young men came home and were called baby killers and their lives went to shit. Besides all that the 50's were wonderful.

• Ha, at least you know it.

• @jacquesvol Fox news told me

• We were great when we kicked the British ass in the revolutionary war. :D

• Though history and every other country has an even more darker past than the USA.

• There will always be an evolution of the senses and morals.

• Romans may have had gladiators but or boxers and ctchers are better.

• america was never great it sucked since i was born

• america sucked when Columbus "discovered it" asshole took por native american's land

• poor*

• I think they are meaning the 1950s... when it seemed like a happy utopia but in actuality was an abusive, racist, sexist time. On tv shows and movies, it might seem nice (like the husband going to work, coming home to his wife already having dinner on the table, happy to greet him and his kids playing baseball or something)... but in actuality it wasn't. If you read memoirs or anything, you'll see how bad it was. Lots of issues got shoved under the rug. Moving forward and progressing in a positive way is best, not going backwards.

• Splendid answer. Thank you my smart friend.

• People are too busy, too lazy or don't know any better.

• That's true.

What Guys Said 15

• Someone sure hasn't studied any history, huh?

The USA has throughout history, been pretty much the best place to live on earth in any time period.

"When we had slaves"? I'd like to see any black American bitching about oppression actually go back to Africa, which they call home. Doesn't happen, because the USA is a better place for blacks than Africa.

Haiti also had slaves, ironically. They rose up and massacred the white population... and the island has literally been a completely shithole ever since.

"When we could hang black people and not be prosecuted"? About 4,000 blacks were lynched from 1877-1950. Hmm. Pretty bad.

www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/02/17/lync-f17.html

There's been over 260 homicides in black majority and black run Baltimore so far this year. In 2013 alone, a low crime year, 2245 blacks were murdered by other blacks. That means, blacks murdered as many blacks in two years, as were murdered by whites in a whole "atrocity time period."

www.fbi.gov/.../...ce_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

• Asker, why don't you enlighten us and point out any time in history when there was a place it was better to live in, than the USA?

• www.mtholyoke.edu/.../3poverty.html
      faculty.webster.edu/.../whypoor.htm
      news.discovery.com/.../why-is-haiti-so-poor.htm
      www.theweek.co.uk/.../why-haiti-so-poor-history-quake-hit-island

Is that good enough for you or do you need me to do some google searches which took me less then 15 seconds to do. If you need more proof then go ahead and look for it, but every single source stats that Haiti's current condition is a result of it being a victim of it's own history.

• lol ok next time I will ask a question about Haiti and you promise to talk about my question?

• those politicians spouting that nonsense (trump mostly) are talking out of their ass. they're just looking for a populist stance to grab onto for some votes, that's it.

• You got it right Mr Vegas :)

• It's always been great for "White" people. I guess people like Trump expect minorities to already know that.

• Rich white men specifically. Good answer. Sanders in 2016

• Excellent :)
      He is totally for reversing Citizens's United. He voted against the wars in the middle east and has a superb voting record. That voting record aligns with his beliefs and not with one party. He also marched with MLK and has been fighting for equal rights for 40 years. You may just like him. Cheers to you

• Cheers to you as well.

• Love this question. All it needs is a "see results" button, for those of us who understand sarcasm and don't want Edward Snowden's former bosses to think we're prospective terrorists.

• To answer, I think they mean the 1950s, when black people "knew their place." Please note that it is Gentrified, Old and Pale (G. O. P.) candidates that are saying this.

• ^black people AND women, oops, sorry.

• Excellent answer and I always try to put a sensible poll option for smarter people like you that get sarcasm and know history but my sarcasm is from Jersey :P

• I'm not too sure if it is exactly a time period that they are talking about. I think it's more towards the simple idea ( not to be taken too serious) when things where not too expensive, oil prices were down, we were not drowning in national debt, there were no world wars/conflicts, the housing market didn't crash and the likes.

• Well that would be never lol. The US has always had a conflict or war. War is money for the rich. You are correct in the one meaning of what this could be though. I see this just as a broad statement that screams nationalism/propaganda with little truth to the statement. .

• Indeed, all the scum on Earth attacks 'Murica.

• Why do some people enjoy hating their homeland? Do you think it proves that you are enlightened?

• Beat me to saying it. Yes we have our flaws, yes we can do better. Self-flagellation is not self-improvement.

• As the British say it "Right or wrong, it's our country!"

• The last time was arguably the 1950s and 60s when manufacturing was still huge and the post-war dream was in full swing. A plasterboard house with a car in the driveway and all the modern conveniences inside.

• In your opinion was it good for all people then or just some?

• Way to twist my words, man. The most famous quote saying the riots take a significant portion of the blame comes from (as I said) Coleman Young, who was the first African American mayor of Detroit.

• Still a weird segue.

• Uh.. Um.. back in the day when we had to walk uphill to school both ways without shoes in the snow to get an education. That taught some serious character.

• i think they are referring to moral and ethical values

• So what era would that be? Beat your wife for free era, hang a negro era or full fledged slavery? One lacks ethics and morals while sitting back and watching human atrocities.

• Moral and ethical values , of course!
      [SARCASM=OFF]

• morals are subjective. who gives a fuck about slavery? the USA won't get those years back, and he has to get over it.

• Well sure if we won't learn from history we could just repeat it like morons.

• morals are subjective get over it.

• Ahh I love how easy it is to be a dick to random people online. Can you show me how you do that?

• You're just atheist, communist, white hating and America hating *****.

• Please don't shoot up an movie theaters or schools. Thank you.

• That's done by leftists, of course.

• Lol ok then

• America now keeps getting better and better in a social way. I think they mean they want America to have the best economy and to be the best manufacturing country

• Somewhat but I think there is an undertone of wanting Christianity to be the rule of law.

• A. America is a joke now due to feminism. They get to hit men but men can't touch them back. They get to falsely accuse rape and incarcerate innocent men. They play with mens hearts just to boost their own ego, teasing and flaunting their beauty.

• I know where you are coming from. We should be like the Spartans and if something isn't perfect we should just leave it to die. That's the way forward alright, never settle for the relatively good and work to improve it, just trash it.

After all what does it matter how awful the rest of the world is and has always been? At least they are honestly awful, not pretending they are good when they are only part good.

• 1|0
    • Won't let me watch it. Can you tell me what the video is?

• @throwit I have seen this actually. It is a strong speech. The real truth is control. Who is controlling and why. How long has it been going on? Longer than 100 years surely. Were some wars just? Maybe. Were some men moral in government back then? Yes. Corruption may be worse now but we also have instant access to information. We also have unlimited lobbying. We have the thirst for fossil fuels and the thirst to kill.

• simple: right click, copy video URL and open a new tab, paste the url in the address line:
      Why America isn't the greatest country in the world anymore.
      Jeff Taube