Am I the only one who thinks German is a hideous language?

Why is it so damn rough and aggressive?

• Agree
  • Disagree

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't mind it actually.

I personally think arabic is really ugly.

Most Helpful Girl

• It matches the personality of its citizens

• ouch. :/

• Well... they're kinda... cold. I mean nothing against them, but they're not exactly known as a loving hugging bubbly bunch

• lol 'loving hugging bubbly bunch'

What Guys Said 16

• I don't really like how it sounds, and Hitler didn't really help

It's similar to Dutch though, but I'd go for different languages

• As a german myself I can understand how the language itself can seem harsh. Not to mention the difficult grammer is a killer.

Yet, there is a lot of beauty in the language, if you take more time to understand it. It is incredibly expressive, it isn't exactly the greatest for singing - but for poetry it's outstanding, positive words are generally a lot more soft-spoken, it is a practical language and it has tons of different native accents. Probably as many as English, if not more.

A while ago I actually wrote down some of my favourite german words who at times aren't even translatable to English, so I will copy paste it here:

Wunderschön
    - Wunder = Miracle
    - Schön = Beautiful
    -> Translating to miraculously (or magically) beautiful.
    Example: Du bist wunderschön. / You are miraculously beautiful.

Vorfreude
    - Vor = Before / Previous-
    - Freude = Joy
    Definition: The word “Vorfreude” describes the joy one feels in anticipation of something joyful to happen. Unlike anticipation, the word “Vorfreude” only associates to positive upcoming experiences.
    An example of the feeling of “Vorfreude” would be as a child being happy short before ones birthday/christmas in anticipation of knowing one would get pleasant gifts.

Augenblick
    - Augen = Eyes
    - Blick = Gaze
    Definition: It describes seeing that one split-second or the instant you see of pure beauty of something oustanding or special. It’s that one special moment - that special “Augenblick”. It is just one look, one gaze with the eyes.

Habseligkeiten
    - Hab und Gut = A phrase for naming your belongings
    - Selig is the adjective form of Seele = Soul
    - Selig = Blessed / Overjoyed / Blissful in a religious and/or spiritual way
    - The ending of -keiten is a similar ending like the English -ing. It’s only a grammatical necessarity.
    Definition: “Habseligkeiten“ are your very few belongings which are very special and precious to you and worth a lot to you on an emotional basis. A certain picture, something from your childhood, a remembrance of a beloved one and so on.

Glühbirne
    - Glüh comes from Glühen = Glowing
    - Birne = Pear
    Definition: While the original name for a lightbulb is the “Glühlampe” (Lampe = Lamp), a more common choice to use is the word “Glühbirne” which trasnlates to a glowing pear as lamps used to be only pear-shaped. A few other languages use that description as well like Hungarian.

• Sehnsucht
      - Sehnen = Longing, Yearning, Craving
      - Sucht = Addiction
      Translates to a certain form of heavy longing, yearning and craving - a type of intensely missing something/someone.
      Definition: It is difficult to translate as it is a very specific form of longing for something/someone. It comes from a deep emotional state you have for whatever you are longing for. It’s the realisation of the unfinished and imperfect aspects of this life and this world with the longing for a better, an ideal, a perfect alternative. Often it is a mix of negative as well as positive emotions - a sense of desperation coupled with a sense of hope. It’s the longing for a peaceful world, the craving to be again with your significiant other (even if you haven’t met that one yet) and so on.
      Fun Fact: It’s a word which is sometimes used in the realms of psychology internationally for a lack of alternative words describing this phenomena.

• Himmelsrichtung
      - Himmel = Sky / Heaven
      - Richtung = Direction
      Definition: Germans call the cardinal directions literally “(the) skys direction“

Seelenverwandt
      - Seele = Soul
      - Verwandt = Related only in the sense of related to family-members.
      Definition: The word “Seelenverwandt” describes two people, or two souls, who might not be blood-related, but are two of a kind. It’s not their blood which is related, but their souls. This can be a very close friendship as well as a romantic relationship. Two souls which were meant for each other.

Weltschmerz
      - Welt = World
      - Schmerz = Pain
      Definition: “Weltschmerz” describes the pain, sometimes even apathy or depression, a person feels by comparing the actual state of the world with the ideal state. It’s the optimist being hit by reality.

• Fremdschämen
      - Fremd = Foreign / Alieniate / Strange
      - Schämen = to feel shame / being embarrassed.
      Definition: It’s the shame and embarrassment you feel for something a different person does.

Geistesblitz
      Geist = In this context it is refering to the mind, but it can also mean ghost.
      Blitz = Lightning
      Definition: A Geistesblitz is the moment of enlightment. When you get a smart idea, when you understood something, etc. It’s similar to the lightbulb metaphor

Wortschatz
      - Wort = Word
      - Schatz = Treasure
      Definition: Your vocabulary, the treasure made of words that you have.

Leidenschaft
      - Leiden = Suffering
      - Schaffen = Creating
      Definition: Leidenschaft is the translation for passion. It literally translates to creating suffering. Germans are pretty emo.

Erklärungsnot
      - Erklärung = Explanation
      - Not = Emergency / Hardship
      Definition: A situation where you get caught and have to quickly explain yourself, hence in a emergency to do that.

• I agree, it also has some weird rules.

• It's alright.

• Most Europeans say that about English

• You shouldn't assume I'm English.

• lol well obviously I speak English but you shouldn't assume it's my primary language

• Just a statement of fact not an assumption of you linguistics.

• my native language is close to German and I speak German fluently too, so no I don't think it's hideous...

• What? xD it's an awesome language, even I speak it :P

• It's lovely when a girl speaks

• German sounds friendly to me. I guess that's because I understand it a little. I'm not German, though. It kind of reminds me of Warcraft III, I don't know why. Maybe even Lord of the Rings, LOL. I'm weird.

• Every time I hear a guy speaking in German, I feel it's a TV commercial for their porn channels because that is all I would hear on my hotel TV channels when I was in Europe.

• Any language can seem like that.

• All languages expect English are stupid

• I love german I don't know but i listen to hitler speeches just to make fun of his voice

• Ya, you're the only one

• Not according to the pole.

• I find it to be rather pleasant to the ear when spoken properly. Not in a sexual way but like a German scientist talking about formulas or something lol that would be kinda relaxing.

• It's not the best but russian and arabic are the worst.

What Girls Said 16

• Any language that is speaking in a vulgar and rough way, sounds bad. So technically there isn't an ugly language, just an ugly way of talking in a certain language.
    Example, I love English, but when it's Honey Booboo and her family speaking English, lets say it doesn't sound that good.

• I think German is really pretty and has a wonderful way of using words and imagery. Maybe you should culture yourself more and you'd see that too.

• I'm not uncultured for disliking the harsh, rough pronunciation of a language.

• LOL I'm not doing either but I mean if it really makes you feel better to call people names when they point out gaps in your life...

• So now I have gaps in my life because like 29 other people, I find German to be a rough, aggressive language that is unappealing to the ears? Cut the crap with your passive aggressive bitchy comments. You are the one in the wrong here; not me. First you accuse me of needing to culture myself then claim I'm ignorant when I defend myself, and now you are making up some petty nonsense that I have gaps in my life for not feeling the same way about German that you do.

You're 26; not 16 so act like it.

• I have always liked German because my mother speaks it and I can understand it, sometimes anyway.

But it is harsh.

French is so much more melodic-but I don't understand a word.

• It's pretty rough.

Though I butcher it and make it worse than it is. It's not sooo bad when spoken by a native speaker.

• Ehh, Russian sounds way more aggressive to me tbh.

• I think that speaking German has its advantages. I have experienced that people who speak German have a better understanding of other languages such as dutch, french (the words which are not relatable to English, can come from the german language). However, I agree that there are way nicer languages.

• It's cool.

• It sounds unflattering, sure, but I wouldn't call it hideous.

• No, it isn't if you hear Germans speak and not actors trying to speak german it not really a harsh language. the Nazis gave it a bad name with trying to make it sound scary plus Hitler was Austrian they speak very different. Plus german has many different dialects , I like the Bayern dialect because its more laid back and we have French and Italian influence and you hear it

• It's not rough or aggressive, what you have been hearing are sterotypes.

• I sat on a plane that left a German airport and was surrounded by people speaking German.

• Its pretty hot in my opinion

• Dude, it's sexy as hell.

• I disagree. I think German sounds beautiful.

• That's true *Germans no offense *

• maybe because it's hard and you can't learn it!

• Or it's because I sat on a plane leaving Germany and was surrounded by a bunch of people loudly speaking German.

• I like German. It can sound really sexy. I had fun when I was learning it although it was hard. I wish my school had valued the Languages department at all, if the senior management there hadn't been so stupid I might be able to passably communicate in German instead of just having a kinda useless B at GCSE :/ . German has words for everything, and if there's a lacuna it's okay to join words together to make a new one that will fill it :') . Also some words are funny like 'nasenflugels' (nostrils) literally translates as 'nose wings' lol