Is time a Illusion?

Howcome you can still see supernovas and nebulas through telescopes destroyed thousands of years ago, and it only reaches visbilibily to us now...

If it is destoyed, and doesn't exist how can we still see it?

0|0
3|7

Most Helpful Girl

• Light has to travel through space in order for us to see it, just like sound. The distances are so vast that by the time the light reaches us the star has died. No illusion, just maths.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 7

• I'm not a physicists so this is just my layman's understanding of it.

2 keyconcepts.
    1 - EM waves in a vacuum as you know travel at the speed of 3x10^6 ms-1.
    www.photonics.com/.../thumbnail_52250.jpg
    2 - The parallax method
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../...ellarparallax2.svg.png

We can see supernovas and nebulas through telescope because the light from those events travel at the speed of light and strikes the observing surface of those telescope.

We know it took the light thousands of years to reach us because through basically a special method of triangulation , we can calculate the distance between us and the stars and therefore date the event.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

1|1
    0|0
  • Time may well be an illusion (depending on how we're defining these words). If it is an illusion, it's one we all share.

What we're seeing in the night sky are pieces of light that can only travel at the speed of light, which is actually pretty slow in interstellar terms. So we're seeing the way distant things looked a long time ago. The things we're seeing are not necessarily "destroyed." But things like distant supernovae certainly would look quite different if we could see the way they are right now.

1|1
    0|0
  • Light travels bro whats cool about that is if a alien with a high powered telescope viewed our Earth From 6-600 million lightyears away.. Wouldn't see humans or buildings.. They'd see dinosaurs

Time itself (in my opinion) is an illusion

Also if aliens came into a 2 million light year away radius they would be able to watch whats on our TVS because of the radio signals it gives off has reached 2 million light years away from planet Earth ahah

0|1
    1|0
  • Time is no more real than an inch or a degree of Fahrenheit. All it is is a measuring tool. All the time that has passed are illusions of our memory, and time that is soon to pass are illusions of probability.

Only 'time' that is real is what's going on right now. and right now. and right now. ...

0|0
    0|0
  • What's wrong with ur school? Yes it doesn't exist now but the light emitted from the supernova took years until it reaches us and the only real unit we r sure that it is real is time

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's a illusion, but I do feel that it is a form of materialism.

0|0
    0|1
  • distance of the stars from Earth dude.

0|0
    0|0