Was Jesus Christ a Jew or a Christian?

I do not mean any ridicule with this question, but what do you think?

Perhaps my question was a bit ambiguous or unclear, I meant to ask what should we label Jesus Christ as, according to his believes. A Christian or a Jew?
I think that if the the teachings of Jesus Christ deviates from that of the Jews than we can safely say that he was not a Jew in the sense that he did not support Judaism. However I heard or read that Jesus Christ once said that he did not come to erase the old testament, but to complete it; bring it to perfection.
Perhaps we can say that Jesus Christ was not the first Christian but Christian number zero.

Most Helpful Girl

• Cristian comes from the word Christ. Yes Jesus was a Jew.

So, if Jesus was a Jew, why is it that Christians don’t follow Judaism? The Laws of Judaism were given to Moses for the children of Israel in a very sacred and special covenant at Mount Sinai and recorded for us in the book of Exodus. In this covenant, God wrote His laws on tablets of stone, and Israel was commanded to be obedient to all that was revealed to them. But this wonderful covenant was only a picture of a New and better covenant that God would one day give to His people, both Jew and Gentile.
    Christians don’t follow Judaism today because the Mosaic covenant has been fulfilled in Jesus Christ. Jesus said, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them”. And the writer to the Hebrews wrote, “By calling this covenant ‘new,’ he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.
    Technically Jesus was the fulfilment of Judaism. The followers of were called Christian, with many similarities to Judaism, but the stark contrast of the fulfilled old testament, and the new testament which Judaists don't recognize.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am a bit late, but he wasn't exactly a jew - at least not by what a jew defines today.

What is clear is that he was living in Judea and part of Judaism belief back then - aka the following of the old testament. The problem here is that modern jews neither are biologically related to the people of Judea, but mostly come from a place in asia (I think today it is Kazakhstan, but no sure). There is also a reason why there are two distinct words with Judean and Jew - where the later is a "newer" word.

Additionally modern jews follow the Torah and potentially other teachings/books like the Kabbalah or Talmud instead of the old testament and thus once more aren't comparable to the followers of Judaism back then.

So was Jesus a jew? No, not really. He was Judean instead and meant to complete the old testament - something which the modern jew barely (if ever) follows..

What Girls Said 12

• A Jew... henc the nickname king of the Jews...

• He was a Jew, but his religion was not judaism. With him came the creation of a new religion: Christianity

Until then, the people that lived in the same time and are as Jesus Christ followed, mostly, Judaism.

• Judaism does not believe Jesus Christ was the son of God. they are still waiting for the Son of God to walk this Earth.

However, Judaism does believe in God and all the happenings until the arrival of Jesus Christ.

That is the main difference, I think.

• He was Jewish...

• He was a rabbi which would make him Jewish

• He was actually Jewish, google it.

• He was a Jew, they called him "The King of the Jews"

• A Jew.
    Christianity came after him.

• He was Jewish.

• A Jew, it's called Christianity because he's called Jesus Christ

• Hey I'm Aquarius as well. ;)
      Yes, I know that, but I'm asking what he was according to his believes.

• North is probably the best bet. West is very posh and expensive and South is very rough in general.

• I think it sounds good. Thank you. :)

• Well he is fictional so he could be anything.
    But if he did exist being where he was born and all, he would have likely been Jewish.

• What makes you conclude he is fictional?

• Lol, fair enough, but in my view you did either twist or misunderstand, that's why I offered to end on a good note by saying something about Alexander.

• Well I appreciate your conversation and have no ill will. I do disagree but that is the joy of debate.

• neither he didn't have a religion now I will say that he was a Hebrew Israelite from the tribe of Yahudah

• He was Jewish. He couldn't be a Christian, he didn't follow himself :') . He was raised as a Jew and lived his life as a Jewish man; he believed himself to be the messiah prophecised in the Torah

What Guys Said 21

• He was Jewish. Christians are those who believe in Christ (him) so they weren't a thing until he was already dead

• It is an undisputed fact that Jesus was a Jew.

• definitely jewish

• He was a Jew, he never meant to create a new religion in my opinion, he did everything Jews did, he just faced their religion in a different way, a way that wasn't accepted by the Jews themselves back then. Christianity was founded by his followers.

• He was a Jew.

Besides, in the early years of the faith, it was a sect of Judaism followed mostly by Jews. In fact, they still worshiped in the Temple and synagogues during the Sabbath and celebrated the feasts explicitly mentioned in the Bible until around A. D. 300's.

• He was secretly a Jedi!

• Umm, Christianity didn't start until Jesus rose again and that was the start of the church age. Jesus was Jewish.

• He was a Jew.

I'm sure he believed in himself but that doesn't make him a Christian.

• Depends on who your asking if you ask a republican then they would say he was christian lol but most people would say he was a jew.

• Jew. The Christians were his followers, as conceived originally by the apostle Paul.

• He was a hippie rabbi jew.

• he was a Jew, Christianity wasn't around till after he died

• He was a Jew who founded Christianity.

• he was born a Jew, then converted to Christianity

• He was both.

• Jew definitely... "INRI" Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum.

• Christian. think, jesus CHRIST.

• Yeah he was born as a Jewish man, as in he was both Jewish blood and raised Jewish law, but he was the Messiah that was prophesied by God, so he came to end the old covenant and bring about the age of grace. So his followers are called Christians, but he is Christ himself. Christians follow the way of Christ, so Christ is the leader and created the new way.

• A brown skinned, dark haired, Palestinian Jew.

• A myth can be anything

• He was Jewish. Christianity was not formally established as a religion at that time.