Should it be illegal to prescribe children with mind-altering medication?

Non-conformist children are commonly prescribed drugs like dextrampthetamine, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, and a whole library of other psychiatric medications.

I think it should be illegal. Doctors, teachers, and parents rolling the dice with a brain of a developing human being. Why is it that health experts tell us that it is wrong to give a child coffee, yet they are perfectly ok with giving children ritalin, a drug that has similar properties to cocaine?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I fucking hate how kids are treated. I'd say more, but it would turn into an essay.

Long and short of it, I agree with you.

What Girls Said 2

• Depends on the child's mental state, or condition... if they're perfectly normal then yes it should be illegal... no idea why teachers would be prescribing any kind of medication at all tbh

• Teachers don't write the prescriptions per se, but they are known to put a lot of pressure on parents and psychiatrists. Plus public schools receive additional federal funding for "disabled" students who are "required" to be put on medication.

• I don't agree nor disagree. Personally I think medications of those descriptions should ultimatly be a last resort. I suffer from anxiety and I refuse to get medication because of things I've heard and read about it changing your mindset a lot. So I go for more home remedies. But still I think if you've exhausted every resource available for the condition and you believe the child is really suffering if you just let them live the way they are then it's perfectly okay to give the medication a shot because it is more likely to work.

What Guys Said 6

• i agree with you, it's pretty fucked to do that to children.

• There are only a few extreme cases that this should be allowed, but 90% of the actual cases now shouldn't ever need to touch this medication.

• I agree completely. The problem lies with doctors and schools receiving kickbacks from drug companies and the federal government by handing out these drugs to kids.

• It shouldn't be illegal, but it shouldn't be common.

• It should be illegal for your GP who knows nothing about the brain and goes off behavioural assumptions to prescribe them. A psychiatrist on the other hand is a completely different matter.

• I wish a teacher did tell me to medicate my child because he/she has more energy than usual

That'd be their last day in a classroom

• Depends on the mental state of the child.