Would you like to edit your babies?

Maybe choosing eye or hair color? Even sex?

Or even intelligence?
Or make him himune to some diseases?

Would you interfere in your children development?
Do you support genetically Engineered Babies? And why?

Would you like to edit your babies?

• ... i don't know
  • No
  • Yes

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't want kids. But probably yeah. I'd make sure they were healthy and pretty etc. I think the main problem with doing that is that if it were possible it wouldn't be available to everyone, it would widen the divide between the rich and poor even more. I would want it to be available for everyone.

Most Helpful Guy

• To some extend, yes.
    I have a very strong visual disability. I am almost completely blind. While I have learned to live with it (I have it since birth), it obviously makes my life a lot harder in many respects. There are numerous things I can't do that I would love to do. I'm not allowed to drive a car or a motorbike, I can't play any team sports such as soccer or basketball. In fact, I'm not even allowed to run for medical reasons. The only sport I can do without worries is swimming. I have it much harder to study and it will be harder for me than for others to get into the job that I really want to get. And then of course I have all the doctor visits, the surgeries since I was a child etc.. I don't mean to be whiny about it but it can be quite tough. Because I know all this, and because I know that my children will have a 50%-risk of inheriting this handicap, I would love to do something about it if I could. I really don't want them to be forced to go through the same hardships as I did. And frankly, I also don't know if I could handle having one or even two handicapped children. I'm already handicapped myself and that's quite enough. I would also be very worried about my girlfriend (who has good eyes) having to take care of everyone. I really don't want that. So if I could do this, I definitely would. As for looks... I don't think I would want to change them. My kids are gonna be bi-racial white-asian and I'm sure they're gonna turn out very beautiful (as almost all bi-racial children do :-)).

What Girls Said 10

• Obviously, if I could make my child immune to all medical issues like cancer, I would. I want him or her to have the best life possible. Getting rid of those concerns would help.

• No, that'd be no fun.

• I would prefer my baby to be good lookin and smart and immune to all diseases and have my hair and mostly my facial features. But I would never genetically alter my baby and choose how hey come out. I want a baby the old fashion way

• good lawd, definitely not.

• Suffering makes life cool. If the baby has no goddamn problems in all his/her life, what's the point of living?
    I want my kids to suffer :D

• Only would consider it for genes known to cause serious disease or disability.

• No. Sounds like the movie Gattaca
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaYoa985poA

• That sounds like the Gattaca movie...

• To some extent...
    like diseases yes, but physical attributes, likely not.

• That's a definite YES!

What Guys Said 12

• I can see it now. GaG 2045 edition:

Anonymous (18-24)
    Why did my parents give me brown eyes? I hate brown eyes. All the other kids have blue eyes. Or green eyes. I hate my parents. On top of that they only gave me an IQ of 175 and all the other kids have 190. Everyone makes fun of me because I'm so stupid. Why did my parents give me such stupid genes? What could they possibly have been thinking?

• Yeah could be fun, lets go.
    I've got a scalple, staple gun, and bolt cutters, you okay to distract the nurses?

• Hell yes I would. If my woman was going to have a baby, I would "edit" all of those things to my liking.

I mean, why would you not? If you could do so safely, what on earth would be wrong with choosing your child's eye and hair color, or making them more intelligent, or picking height, etc?

• If it was a safe and solid science I don't see why people would gamble with a natural birth. I would ensure that my child would be perfect, so they he/she could have the best quality life possible. Everything from lack of genetic diseases, intelligence, looks, body, etc would be perfect. We manipulate everything else in our environment for a better world, why not with our bodies? Attractive, healthy people live better lives than those who are genetically unfortunate.

• Canni make an 11-foot Titan-monster that just flips out and kills people who come onto my lawn? (By the time he grows to his full height, I'll probably be in the "get of of my lawn!! Damn kids..." phase of my life...

• Someone is imagining to be God...

Life is based on destiny and diversity. Death exists and diversity is inevitable. So I am okay with it; I wouldn't "edit".

• The only thing I would do is alter their genes if they were going to have some kind of disease if I did nothing.

• Don't we already make them immune to certain diseases? Vaccines?

• I personally wouldn't really care. With the exception being if they baby would inherit a degenerative disease, then I'm all for trying to ensure it has a good life. But for appearance alone? Nah.

• Yes, I would love to make the perfect.

• No. My baby came out perfect in every way.

• I would go for something like the movie GATTACA. They extract 100,000 eggs from the wife, fertilize them with the husband's sperm then screen them all for the ones which most closely fit the parents criteria. It's all your child, it's just the best child you'd have if you had 100,000 children.