Who here likes the name Lucifer for a child?

I'm going to be naming my first son Lucifer when he arrives. I know all the negative connotation surrounding the name, but I really couldn't care less. I am not religious, so the name means jack all outside of its literal definiton of 'light bearer', and kids ridicule kids for their names all the time whether it be Pissy Chrissy or Stephanie instead of Stephen, or Connie instead of Connor, or Rat Poo instead of Matthew. My name was mocked as a kid (Remember the Matthew bit?) and I hated my 'normal' name because of it, too, so realistically the child torment line doesn't even matter.

Separating the bullshit religious aspect (If I shouldn't be dictated by Sharia Law then I sure as shit shouldn't be dictated by Christian Rule either), what do you guys think of the name? I'm really excited to meet my son, and even more excited to lead him to a better life than I had!

I find it funny that this is more controversial among the men than the women of this site. It must be the estrogen in the water.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've always thought it was a pretty name... but just remember what you said in your question...

LUCY LUCY LUCY!!!

• Kids always find a way to feminize/mock each others names, though. Even a man's man name like Richard, Duke, or any other action hero esq name can and will be feminized/mocked by a child who just doesn't like that kid.

Lucy vs. Rat Poo.. I'd take lucy.

• How about Adam? No feminization.

• @Bimbobambo

"A dumb kid"

"Adeena"

I've seen it before.

Most Helpful Guy

• You may not be religious (neither am I), but more than 90% of the world's population IS religious. So your son may face a lot of issues due to his name, as he grows up.

• I hope he does face obstacles in his life instead of being coddled and accepted wholeheartedly so he can gain some character and hair on his chest. If he wants to rename himself when he's older then I will allow it, but until that time he will be Lucifer and people will either have to deal with it or deal with it.

• It's a your call, in the end!

• Yes, yes it is. I appreciate you not being an over-dramatic, pretentious opinion giver like a lot of the people answering are (then again, their attitude is better preparing me to tell parents of children to fuck off when they have their worthless gripes about my child's name and what I choose to do).

What Girls Said 18

• Mister life is tough on kids without your extra burdens. He will be looked at funny, mocked, maybe even beaten up for it. You may not believe "Lucifer" has any meaning, but the culture you live in does. The culture your son has to grow up in.

Imagine if you decided the word "cunt" means nothing to you and named your son Kant, like the philosopher. Nobody cares what YOU think, your kid is screwed.

Besides being named as the devil, that name is way to easy to turn into "Lucy". Please don't do that to him. Life is too much already.

• Many names are easily feminized. I assume I also shouldn't introduce him to death metal and long hair because my culture associates the genre with adolescent rebellion and devilworshipping and long hair is seen as a girl's only trait/has stoner, lazy connotations.

He should also probably aspire to be a lawyer/some other seedy, capitalist, suit and tie job and aspire to marry a feminist and grow up Catholic because my culture sees all these things as beneficial and complimentary to a human's needs.

I'll stick to living life the way I want to live it and raising my son to follow his own path all the while having a name that means Bearing Light and was used in Ancient times before a religion tarnished it.

• I said NOTHING new and you wrote another paragraph of insults, talking about being insulted. You're talking to yourself.

• Opinion OwnerAge: 21
      10hReport
      Translation: I'm right, she's evil! Wha! Wha!

You a stupid ho, you a-you a stupid ho

• I just finished watching "Little Fockers" from the "Meet the Parents" series, and this question popped up! Reminded me of the Ben Stiller's character - Gaylord Focker, and the torment he had to face because of his name as a child, which made him change it to Greg as an adult.

Anyway, I understand that you mean well, and have some admirable ideals behind choosing that name. 'Lucifer' in itself does sound beautiful. I didn't know it meant "light bearer." That is a lovely. But I just would like to highlight to you a repercussion, you might not have considered.

Studies have shown that names have a significant impact on a person's character. That's because of the connotations associated with it. I read about this tribe in Africa (or was it south america, I forget) that name their kids according to the day of the week they were born on. So all kids born on say Monday were called a certain name (since I don't remember what it was, lets call them Mon. Those born on Tuesday called Tue etc.) And they believed that people born on Mondays were conscientious in character, while those born on Wednesday were rebellious and naughty. Now if you looked at the town statistics, an overwhelming number of Mons were straight A students at school, while the Weds paid repeat visits to jail, having a proclivity to crime. Just because of the name and connotation associated with it, they behaved like they were expected to... a self fulfilling prophesy if you may...

Now while you know that Lucifer has a lovely meaning, most of society associates it with the Devil. And your kid will not grow up in the vacum of your home, but in the society. It is very likely this negative connotation of his name will be much more influential on him...

Just highlighting this so you can make an informed decision.

Congratulations in advance on becoming a daddy by the way ;)

• Your setting the kid up for failure!

• I like it and it's just a name, humans making a big deal out of everything is the problem, the name means shit if you think about it, just some letters together, whatever lol
    Name it however you want!

• People are just hypocrites, and realistically it wouldn't be so controversial if these religious people were more tolerant. I don't know why the responsibility is on me when it should be just as easy for them to give up their prejudices and understand context.

It's just like the name Dayman/Damen/Damon. People make demon jokes about the name, so I assume people should stop naming kids Damon. Lilith is a common name that people find cute but comes from the biblical succubus who was kicked out of Eden for fucking Adam cowgirl style and sent to hell.

Oh well, not like they can do anything about my decisions!

• The less fucks you give about what people think, the happier you'll be.

Go for it! It's such a great name, I like Lucious too

• I understand your point. I also like that name, but I still wouldn't dare to call my kid something like that. Like I wouldn't call my kid Adolf. I think that bullying is not something that should be part of a kid's life to 'make him stronger'. At least for me, bullying didn't made me stronger. It only gave me damage in the years I should've found myself and grow convidence I needed.
    I don't want my kid to get bullied, weird looked at or being excluded from things because of his name.

• I know a man named Blake who is still known as Shitty for shitting his pants as a kid. Kids bully no matter what, and no amount of a normal name will change whatever is to come. I'm not naming my child Lucifer to toughen him up; I'm naming my kid Lucifer because I love the name and the name isn't coming from Satanic values since I am not religious.

You're allowed to disagree with my actions, and I appreciate you coming from a place of little judgment (as much as debate allows).

• You think cultural and economical wise West-Europe is not the western world? Damn boy. You really know nothing then. Ever heard of the Netherlands, Scandinavia etc? We're pretty damn rich and the most online countries in the world. Even more than America.

• What? Where was I insulting you? Jesus Christ, this website is fucked.

• 0|1
  • Well my cousin is basically called Lucian which is close enough to Lucifer for me to call him that whenever I'm mad at him for some reason 😂😂😂

• Lucifer means "son of the morning/light." There's nothing negative about that name. It was the devil's name before he got kicked out of Heaven. I'm Christian and I say go for it. :3

• and there you have it, folks.

• Arabs have a hard time with names like Abdullah bin Alwad, so I assume Arab Americans should be born with names like John Smith instead of their cultural names because their views conflict with Christians, rednecks, and other ignorant Americans.

• Yeah. There's just way too many ignorant people out there. Smh ignorance sire as heck isn't bliss.

• Lol, doesn't that mean Devil?

• No.

The origins of the name Lucifer come from Latin Lux meaning light and Ferre meaning to bear/carry. Lucifer was the name of the Morning Star, or Venus, which is the exact same title as Jesus Christ in the bible (morning star, that is). Lucifer is mentioned only once in the Bible, and that one time that he's mentioned has been translated by an expert in Ancient Hebrew to be the story of the fall of a Babylonian King whose name was translated from the original Hebrew name (of which I can't remember right now) to the latin 'Lucifer' due to the King's prestigious title.

Lucifer is pretty much just the original name of the planet Venus, and has nothing to do with the devil outside of people's misunderstanding and misinformation.

• Wow. If I were your child I'd grow to hate you with a passion for that.

I hope the mother has common sense.

• It's your choice.

• I see your point and I wish more people thought like you when it comes to names, that it doesn't mean shit if he's named Lucifer or Joe.
    Unfortunately though when a name is associated with such negativity people are going to make snap judgements (subconsciously or not), whether it be a child or a grown up. He'll most likely have a hard time getting a job etc, not to mention the bullying he'll have to endure.

Obstacles do make you stronger, but life is already as hard as it is. Bullied victims are up to 9 times more likely to commit suicide than a non-bullied. For that reason alone, I wouldn't dare to name my kid that. I realise that people, like in your case, get bullied without an actual reason but if you name your kid Lucifer you are pretty much guaranteed he'll get bullied and have a harder time in life than most people, I personally wouldn't want that.

I'm not trying to change your mind, just voiced my opinion. Best of luck to you 😊

• I can respect your opinion, and I do see your points and a lot of the points others have made, but to be fair I didn't really ask whether I should, just whether people liked the name.

I'm still going name him Lucifer, and I'm ready to help him through the bullcrap other ignorant people will throw at him and build him up to be a strong individual proud of a name that is beautiful despite being bastardized.

• I just can't believe the mother also agreed to go along with this... Are you sure you aren't religious? You sound more like a devil worshiper.

• What makes you think I care what my mother thinks of the decisions in my life?

What makes me sound like a devil worshiper, despite you looking to insult me to ease the pain of having to be tolerant?

• Not your mother the woman that you impregnated. -_-

• Wow, I actually fucked up hard on that one.. my mistake!

She agreed to it because she understood the rationale. She knows what I'm like and gravitates to my personality, otherwise she wouldn't be with me.. that's why she agreed to Lucifer. What makes us seem like devil worshipers, exactly? Lucifer comes from the Latin words Lux meaning light and Ferre meaning to bear, and was the name of the planet Venus. If anything, I'm naming my child after a planet since I don't attribute the name Lucifer to Satan.

Besides, if Lucifer isn't accepted by the state I'll just change the name to Luxiferre/Luxefer and they can suck a fat one.

• I honestly think it is a really nice name, and I wouldn't mind giving it to one of my children. I am not religious, so to me it is just a name. But, considering all the stigma surrounding it I would do my child the favor and find something else.

• You don't care because it's not your name. And even if it is, then thats okay because that's how you view religion and stuff. But remember, its gonna be your kids'. You can't dictate how religious he'll become when he grew up. You can't force him to believe the same things you do. Every parent wants happiness for their kids. Do you think he'd be happy to accept IF EVER he grows up to be religious. I dont mean anything bad but just think of possible thoughts on how he'd feel about it for he'll carry the name for a long long time.

• People here act adamant about how I'm closing my son's opportunities off because I want to name him a name that, to ignorant people, is controversial. What gives you guys the right to assume that I'm going to raise him in a toxic, closed minded environment centered around atheism? That environment is partially why I hate religion to begin with; If my son converts to Islam when he's older and wants to change his name to Malaad then he can for all I care, because to me it's JUST A NAME.

My kid's not going to be baptized and if he wants to be religious he will seek God himself. The tantrum you guys are throwing over me naming my son a name that has nothing to do with the devil shows more about your own judgmental personalities than it does mine.

• I asked whether or not people liked it, not whether or not I should do it.

I'd hardly call telling people who are accusing me of turning my son into an art project to fuck themselves 'too defensive'. I don't like know-it-all people who tell others what they're doing as if their bias is anything to base reality off of. The assumption that I'm going to close my son off of all life's experiences and disallow personal growth or allow him to become his own person is something that you had no right to assume based off of me liking a name. That's what I don't like; That's what's deteriorating my patience.

All in all, you guys are doing nothing but invoking slippery slope fallacy over a name. There's plenty of kids named Jesus being picked on for their name, but I see nobody offended over the messiah's name being taken by people (in fact, I wonder if the responses here would be the same had I asked the same thing about the name Jesus).

• This isn't about you. This is another person's life. you're just there to guide his path. Sure you'll teach him values. But his growth isn't dependent on you and just you. You think as if he'll spend 100% of his time life with you. I never assumpted that you're closing him off of life's experiences. This entire time I was here to care for what the kid MIGHT face. I NEVER did ever suggested you shouldn't do it. I am just REMINDING the possibilities. But since you're starting to take every word as a negative comment, I will just stop replying since someone's losing his patience. Lols. Keep Calm. Have a good life mister :)

• you are not religious,. But think about your child, when he grows up people calling him Lucifer? its kinda weird...
    choose a name that he wouldn't want to change it in the future.

• Do not like that name.

• Then maybe for the kids sake don't name him that. I hear you talking about you you you but think about your son instead. Get a "normal" name. He might not take the jokes as well as you did. By 18, he can decide if he likes lucifer too and have it as his name but my opinion, for the child's sake maybe it's not such a safe name.

What Guys Said 12

• Maybe YOU don't care, and thats fine, but your kid will be the one who has to bear the name for his entire life, and put up with the insults, mistreatment, shame etc. associated with it, fair or not. I think it'd be a shitty thing to do to a kid. Why don't you just name him asshole or fuckface and have done with it.

• That's a massive exaggeration.

Kids have to put up with mistreatment over things far worse than a name. I know a kid who shit himself as a kid in class and the nickname 'Shitty' has still carried on into his adult life. To say that a NAME that predates Christianity is akin to a name like fuckface/asshole/some other vulgarism is a retarded comparison. I'd raise my son to take pride in his name and himself, and everyone who has a problem with a NAME can go fuck themselves. It's good that you care what others think and were raised to seek social acceptance, would you feel the same way if I named my son Bailey, a normal but traditional woman name?

• You made this question TO chew people out. Otherwise, if you were so confident in your decision, why ask? It wouldn't matter what others thought?

Your only motive besides genuine ignorance, or curiosity towards other's opinions (which yours, clearly, is not), is to "tell people what is". When really... no one cares. Keep your issues to yourself, or risk looking really pathetic. Hopefully, you are not having a child. If I was the mom, I would not let any child of mine near you. And that, has nothing at all to do with the name.

• @LovelyDisquiet I made the question asking if people liked the name. Thank you for replying.

• I would never punish my kids like that. You want to throw your fingers up at the world Matt then change your name to Lucifer and see how it goes.

• Another person blinded by ignorance claiming I'm trying to make a statement for doing something I like and see as innocent. With all due respect, go fuck yourself.

• Talk about ruining your child's life before his life even begins! #BadParent

• The thing is if you give your child a name like this even if YOU don't care your child will and most likely will get bullied extra.

Personally I don't find the name too bad either as it simply means lightbringer and was the name of Satan BEFORE he became a fallen angel. So naturally it isn't a negative name per se.

• it was never the name of satan it was the name of a babylonian king lucifer has nothing to do with the devil at all

• I don't remember the Matthew bit could you explain it.

• lmao you funny guy I kill you last and fast.

• I don't understand why you made a post for the sole purpose of being "controversial". You're clearly not actually going to name your child that. I'm having doubts as to whether you'll ever even have a child.

• I posted the question "Do you like this name", not "Should I name my child Lucifer".

You guys are the ones who took it upon yourselves to tell me not to do something, I didn't ask for it.

• There is nothing inherently wrong with the name Lucifer.
    I sure wouldn't name my child Lucifer. It's too controversial unfortunately.

• I don't know.

• I wouldn't name my son that. Would you consider changing yours to Lucifer so he could be a Jr?

• If I didn't find the idea of a JR to be tacky I would rename myself Lucifer.

• Word up.

• All I can say is he's going to take a loooooot of shit for that in school

• I'll make sure he goes to a private school with all the weird named Lacrosse kids like 'Brick House' and 'Truck Durksen' that is void of religious practice.

• Sounds like you've already made your decision then.

• I have no problem with the name Lucifer.

But even as an atheist, I still feel like this question is being posed for the sole purpose of being deliberately incendiary.

• Yes you did. You asked people's opinions.

You can't then say "HEY! I don't want your opinion to be this way." lol! It's a two way street, dude.

• @LovelyDisquiet and I quote "what do you guys think of the name?"

not a single "Should I" was seen.

• It's only a name and you're only his dad so I see no big deal in making his life miserable until he gets out of school.

• Most kids are miserable throughout school.. I just won't raise a pussy kid who can't deal with a bit of mental hardship. I could name my son anything in the world and so long as a kid doesn't like him his name will be made fun of, or his looks, or his height.

• I guess you giving my actions your own context, accusing me of things I'm not guilty of, and establishing your own idea of my attitude to maintain your own delusion is more important than accepting the truth and not feeling threatened by another human's way of life. Kudos to you?

• Yes kudos to me also! Yay thank you

• Being mocked for having your name "Matthew" is nowhere near the same as your name being "Lucifer." You child will fucking suffer if you name him that. He will be mocked and shunned, and will have trouble finding a job. All this will likely cause him some anxiety and emotional issues.

You name your kid Lucifer I guarantee you he's gonna change his name at 18.

• and I will allow him to.

Your slippery slope fallacy of my child not being able to find a job holds no substance, especially when acting as if you know what career path my unborn child will take. Lose your ego; You aren't all knowing.

• Right now the only thing I can fathom is you're some crackpot theist, otherwise you'd actually listen to reason. If that's the case, then fuck off and learn your own religion properly.

Here's some education for your dumb ass: Lucifer [Latin: Lux - Light + Ferre - to bear] was the title of the planet Venus, named 'The Morning Star' because of how bright it shined. Guess whose title is 'The Morning Star'? Jesus Christ's. Lucifer = Light Bearer = Morning Star = Jesus. Lucifer, from the bible passage in Isaiah, refers to the Babylonian King that fell from his power when Babylon fell. That's it. That's all. Lucifer =/= the Devil, it's always referred to Venus (Luxferre), and you and others like you are ignorant sods that let Religious law influence the decisions of other people. Take your speculative bias and shove it up your ass; I know kids named Jesus who are mocked, too, but the name is apparently a 'normalized' name.

TL;DR Fuck yourself, you fucking retard.

• "You're so far up your arse that you think the smell of your own shit is normality."

As evidenced by the feedback, it's quite clear it *is* normality. You're the one who's so far up your own ass you fail to see the stupidity of your question. There is no discussion to be had, you've given zero valid counterpoints because your whole argument can be summed up as "I don't give a fuck if it causes my kid problems, I want to name him something really dumb." Plenty of other people have already shot down your idiocy with rational points, you're too butthurt to listen to them so I might as well just call out your bullshit for what it is. At the end of the day you're a fucking egotistical moron who's gonna name their kid Lucifer, you call me self-righteous but at least I'm not a self-centered asshole who's gonna fuck up his kid's childhood and posts a question about it.

"All opinions are speculative" Um no shit, I'm speculating you also tie your own shoes but that's pure conjecture on my part