When I say Portugal, what comes to mind?

And please don't tell me Hola -___-

lol

Olá :D is Portuguese

Most Helpful Guy

• My favorite poet, Fernando Pessoa (especially Álvaro de Campos). Also Luis de Camões.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 45

• You stole this from @Toad-1!!!

Honestly though, the first thing that comes to mind is the episode of Archer, the one during which he goes on a...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cR-WiGKZtg

• Neighbors. Beautiful cities. Good food. Culture. Nice people. Cristiano Ronaldo and Mourinho xD

• The very edge of Europe. And also the "enging of the Port" because in Latvian "gal" kind of stands for "ending/ edge" so Portugal sounds like Latgale which is an actual region here.

• Soccer. :)

• Beginning of a new era and Christianity :)

• Ports, ships, explorers from the 16th and 17th centuries. Wine, and the Strait of Gibraltar.

• you
    lol
    :P

• www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1502444-when-you-think-of-portugal-what-first-comes-to-mind

I also have this question too!

And i think of Prince Henry the Navigator! Said to be the guy to start the european age of exploration

• Our colonizers! Heróis do Mar, Nobre Povo, Nação Valente, Imortal... :D

• lol

so happy singing about your colonizers xD

• Well, you weren't bad colonizers after all. You gave us a great language, your royalty lived here for a long time and our first dinasty after our independence was very closely related to your nobility and it was like this until 1889. Maybe we being separated countries is still a historical accident.

• Portugal, The Man.

• It reminds me of incredible times I've spent in the Azores. I've spent time in São Miguel which was a lot of fun. Really great people and delicious food.

• Portugal, Lisbon, Iberia, Macao, Henry the Navigator, Brazil, pronounces distinct from other Romance languages.

• Ms. Dionizio my 8th grade art teacher, she was portugese and beautiful <3

i would paint sunsets and flowers and try to give her the paintings lol!

• lol even then you were after the ladies ;)

• i actually just miss her... i just joke about he ugly husband lol!

• Porto is really nice but the beaches there are less than desirable. Food is fantastic. Port wine obviously great. The women... hit or miss but I like the short, thick body type they have and willingness to get freaky without even really knowing your name. Wait staff at restaurants are rude compared to everywhere except Russia. Southern Portugal is beautiful. Great sand beaches. Of my travels, Portugal is a mid-tier with Spain being way better (sorry I know those are fighting words)

• I think of Brazil

• Naõ falo Portugues.

• My nice holiday to the Acores islands :D
    And brief visit to Lisbon in the few hours we had there on the return trip. Good memories!

• I'm from the Azores

Wow lots of people here went to the Azores already. Cool! :D

• Yeah I've visited most of the islands. With 2 local flights and 2 boat trips to get from A to B...
      Must beautiful place I remember was the summit of the Pico volcano. The end of the world :D

• haha my island has a great view to Pico island: it's right in front of it.

I know. It's gorgeous

• Hola 😂😂
    Well Cristiano Ronaldo the old Portuguese when they discovered a commercial path in the sea which they used to travel around Africa and they were good in geography I think

• indeed they were xD

I told you: do not say hola. Crazy Joker :P

• HOLAAAA 😛

• I hate youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :P

• Hot girls, cool football team, beautiful beaches :)

• Cristiano Ronaldo!!!

• The CR7 . the rocket of Madira :D :D

• 1) The capital is Lisbon
    2) You because you are from Portugal
    3) Fishing
    4) Azores

• Nice that you spoke about Azores

I'm from there :)

• The only reason I know about Azores is because of a video game in which I would colonize America.
      Azores was the island to get when I wanted to send ships to the New World because it had the closest distance.

• I bet it served as a strategic point in real history, many times

we even had an American military bas in one of our islands, not that long ago

• I think they want independence from Spain or something... never understood wtf is happening there, i hear people did a revolution and got Algarve full of people cause they approve homos and drugs.

• and you call yourself a Portuguese!

Why are you spreading these misconceptions around? :o

• Noo, you destroyed my disguise! oww well... :p

Cristiano Ronaldo, Wine, music festivals and beaches : D

• lol xD

You evil mastermind :P

• Luxembourg... my country, which is basically little Portugal :P

• Ronaldo, Women and hot weather :P

• yeah cause there is no mean in portugal

lol xD Jk

• why is that?

• Well, always wanted to go there, their football team, the Portuguese Architecture, culture and food!

• Christian Ronaldo the football player

• a player inferior to messi

• Its pathetic literacy rate.

• Portugal..

• great soccer players , ronaldo , figo , and eusebio

• More from Guys
    15

What Girls Said 23

• Portugal is a small country with great minds, tasty food, blow minding views.
    We have our Ronaldo and Eusébio representing the soccer;Fernando Pessoa and Luís de Camões showing how culturally rich we are; Acting is well regarded thanks to Diogo Morgado and Daniela Ruah ;Countless music stars;We have our beautiful Victoria's Secret Angel Sara Sampaio showing how gorgeous portuguese women are.
    Where are my portuguese peeps at? <3

• O sotaque é muito dificil de entender :) - I learned Brazilian Portuguese and I cannot understand the accent from Portugal.

• because it is very different :)

But it is a matter of getting used to it, because brazillians usually get us very well and we, Brazillians.

• Yeah and you guys seem to stick to more formal grammar than the Brazilians, too. I don't think I could get away with saying "a gente vai" in Portugal.

• we actually say that :)

• Cristiano Ronaldo!! xD

On a serious note : beaches, food and Brazil.

What comes to mind when I say "Australia"? ahah xD

• kangaroos lol

Not only that: amazing weather, beaches, sun, surf and many other landscapes I would like to explore.

In a word. diverse :)

• Yup, same time difference (: +8

• Brazilian people XDDDDDDDDDD

so weird huh?

• Pretty much a lot. My family lives there and I go to Portugal every year. So I think of nice beaches, beautiful weather, nice food, but also about lazy and nice people and everything there is a mess. I've been to Lisboa, Porto, Serra da Estrela, also somewhere in the Algarve and I always go to Vila nova de Milfontes where my family lives.

• Here in the USA, we learned about Portugal when we covered explorers and colonies, but they never updated us on what Portugal was doing since about 1700! I know Portugal is great at soccer and I heard it is a fun and safe country to visit, but never had the money to go to Europe myself.

• Oranges.

Jewish merchants who escaped the Spanish Inquisition (long story - family history searches).

Beautiful countryside.

My friend who is half Portuguese.

Brazil.

People getting mad at me when I say that Portuguese reminds me of a mix of Spanish and French (especially spelling-wise). Sorry! It really does and it confuses me because I can almost understand it but not (I speak some Spanish)!

Uh - not sure what else. Lisbon?

• There was a girl I went to school with that didn't live far from me whose family was of Portuguese descent. I always think of her first.

• Cristiano Ronaldo <3, my Brazilian friend who speaks Portuguese, Hot guys.

• cool :)

a fan of cristiano?

• I used to think that he's pretentious (mainly because he's very good looking and rich), until I found out how great of a man he is, that's why we should never judge a book by it's cover ^^

• You are right

Even I didn't know as much about him

• Ronaldo and Nani. AND PEPE!!!😅😅😅

• football!!!

basically lol

• Yeah. They were really good. Share some dishes you know!! Like Portuguese dishes taught by your mom or grandmother or something!!

• wow

hmm let me think

You have bacalhau cozido (boiled codfish)
      also cozido à portuguesa
      sopas de espírito santo (even if they are kind of heavy - takes a lot of bread and meat in this soup, but it is quite tasty. It's for a special celebration we have)
      fofas, sonhos de abóbora, travesseiros de sintra, pastéis de tentúgal (all these are deserts).
      arroz de marisco (rice with seafood), açorda de gambas (like some kind of soup with bread and shrimp), carne de porco à alentejana.

• My cousins lol

• cool.

Did your family emigrate from portugal to the US?

Just curious. It happens a lot here

• Not completely sure I think they met during college years in Ireland maybe

• got it

Thanks :)

• That it's just across the pond.
    And... Wine?

• Hola!😂 You come to my mind..

• Hmmm.. Do I have to! :(

• lol Do not tell me Hola!

Olá :)

• No.. I was thinking more about the wonderful holiday we had there this June, as you well know.. And then I got hit by this serious illness in July.

• ah got it

yeah I guess you wouldn't want to remember that.

I hope you visit portugal again so that you won't associate it with what happened to you anymore

• super friendly people
    beautiful sea
    delicious meat and obrigada! :P

• bright blue houses

• Football for some reason.

• Fatima - one of my dad's friends would always take a tour there

• Spain... Ola

• this Portuguese trainer that used to abuse his horses at my barn.
    sorry

• Social Studies Class

• Beautiful coastal cities! :)
    I've been to Spain, but I was unable to keep going to Portugal. I'd love to visit some day.

• Portugal...

• lol Appreciate the effort :P

• Nice

I always like hearing other people speaking well of prtuguese language. it is indeed very beautiful

Hope you get to learn it

• Thank you!