Does riding the bus make me people stupid and poor?

i think riding the bus means you are either to stupid to get a drivers liscense or to poor to afford a car is this true

Most Helpful Girl

• Huh... not where I come from. I am well educated, gainfully employed, and not wealthy but perfectly comfortable. I own three nice vehicles, yet I still take the bus back and forth to work every day. It is less stressful and prevents air pollution. Plus, I work downtown in a metropolitan area where I would have to pay for parking if I drove.

Paying for parking is the most ridiculous thing I can think of. I paid to own my car, I pay to register it, I pay to insure it, I pay to maintain it, I pay to re-fuel it, I pay taxes on it. In addition to that, I pay property taxes and sales tax in the city I live in. So I refuse to pay the city even more to allow me to park my own car on land my taxes paid to purchase in order for me to be able to earn a living--all while they tax the salary I am there to earn. No thank you. The poor and stupid decision in this case would be for me NOT to take the bus.

Most Helpful Guy

• No. I use public transport all the time and I'm not that poor and probably not stupid either. First off, I'm 15. I get around using trains and trams and occasionally buses, and by cycling for short distances; I can't get a driver's licence. Second, if I could, I would have no use for it in the city where I spend most of my outside free time; there aren't many parkings and you'll have to drive around for like an hour to find a place. Third, public transport isn't free. My train subscription costs like 350 euros a year. If you're poor you probably can't afford that.

What Girls Said 14

• Or maybe that you're smart and not throwing around money on a car/insurance/gas, when your bus pass ($45/month) is included by default in your tuition with no opt-out option and enables you to transit virtually anywhere just with having the 'compass card' on you?

• if he lives in america, public transportation outside of major cities is a joke or nonexistent completely. my town doesn't even have public transportation except for a train to nyc, which is completely useless unless you actually work in nyc.

• the post itself is utterly retarded, i'm just saying that taking the bus isn't always the best or most convenient option.

• That's cool for wherever you live but where I live and the uni that I go to, opting out isn't an option. So I'd argue that I'd be dumb as fuck to pay for buying a car, insurance, and gas, all on top of the $45/month for bus fares.

• Wow, you sound smart!

• No, I go by bus/train because I can ride them for free just by showing that I am a university student. I can go anywhere I want in the city at any time for free. Well, it is not really free since we pay for the bus pass as part of student's services, but still I think it has a good discount for students for 4 months. I use the car sometimes when I am late, or there is something urgent. Still I don't think it is stupid if you save money you would otherwise throw on gas.

• Does asking this question make you stupid? I think it does.

• There are some places (like big cities) where having a car is impractical. If you have always lived in the city and always plan on living in the city, you don't really need a driver's license.

• Lol of course not, what kinda question is that.

I catch the bus to uni cause it's a quick 10 minute ride from where I live. Saves hassle plus I don't have to worry about finding a car park at uni which is next to impossible and costs to park there daily.

Same goes wth trains. There's a train station right across the street from me, saves hassle of I wanna go anywhere

• So you are calling children who go to school on the bus, stupid?

• Or it's the more affordable convenient way to get to work

• Lol don't feed the troll!

• Come on GAG don't feed the troll.

• That could be among the many reasons, yes.

• I can't drive, obviously, so I get the bus. To school. Where I learn. To be smart.

• no its better for the environment, saves time with traffic, way easier, and everyone should do it.

• Lol no. Sometimes it's easier if you live in very populated places. I hate NYC, Atlanta and LA traffic... I drive my car majority of the time, though.

What Guys Said 20

• I think asking a question like this makes you look judgmental and ignorant to other peoples living conditions. The reason I think this is because many counties have such great public transport systems that it is actually more inconvenient and more of a hassle to drive a car than use public transport. Many countries have such good public transport systems that it is a better way to travel and as a result many people don't need cars at all. That is how good public transport is in many countries.

• Now tell me if you live in a country that has prefect public transport like this and it is a better way to travel than using a car why would many people bother owned a car?

• Hell no!

When I lived in the U. S., I rode the bus to work by choice. I worked in the city and finding parking near my job was not easy, and pay parking was expensive.

Riding the bus allowed me to read and relax on the ride to work, and after a long day at work I could relax and de stress on the way home.

• Depends where you live. That might be true where I live, where it's so spread out that you can't get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time without a car, and it takes 4 times longer to get someplace on a bus than driving yourself. But if you lived in New York where they have a good bus system and too much traffic to make a car practical? Then the bus/subway is the smart way to go.

• Well cars are expensive for one lol. And someone might just have their car in the shop... or lost it in an accident and needs to ride the bus until they can get a new one. Or has 3 people in a family that all of errands and only 2 cars, but the schedules conflict too much to get everyone a ride.
    Or someone works a night shift and their ride didn't pick them up.
    Or they're in the military and just got in town.
    Or their car broke down and have to get to work in the morning.

• Well i have my license and can afford a car
    i take the bus cause i like saving money, and my university gives me unlimited bus rides in the city...

so i guess that makes me smart and saving :)

• Of course not. Some like riding public transit to help the earth, or in winter not having to use your own car, or if you drive alone everywhere, riding the bus lets you read or get work done. Perhaps parking your car somewhere for free and then riding the bus into downtown so you don't have to pay $20 or up a day for parking is another reason. Open your mind a little.

• No.. public transportation is easier in major cities and in some countries you can get anywhere by public transportation. So no it doesn't make people stupid or poor.

• If everyone had a car this planet would be soon FK'd (Pollution). Society likes to look down on Guys specifically who don't have a car and ride the bus to work. I rode the bus to work... guess what I do now... I'm the CEO of my own company. Forge your own way even if it means riding the bus to get there.

On a side note; A lot of well know stars and entrepreneurs started out 'poor' as you say and rode the bus.

• I think you're a smelly penis head. Is this true?

• I've chosen not to get a driver's liscense because I'd rather take public transport or walk.

It was up to a personal preference for me, so that has nothing to do with my economy nor intelligence; Your assumption is wrong.

• I'm happy the GAG community has unloaded their logic onto answering this question. I think now you may consider more points of view that will change your way of thinking, which, in my opinion, seems narrow-minded.

• No but asking questions like this lead me to believe you're a piece of shit ☺️

• Yes, absolutely true. Good reasoning there.

• cars sit in traffic too.

• i take the bus and thats only bcoz im learnig to drive

• maybe? i dunno

• Or you live in a society where mass transit is the norm, like Europe, Thailand, most of the world. OR perhaps you think it is selfish to always waste gas when it is more efficient for three times the fuel to carry 20 times the people, OR you have a vision problem that causes you to be a poor driver, or you are elderly/handicapped.

You seem to be a judgmental prick.

• Grammar, my friend. Grammar.

To answer you're question: it is quite likely true. Although some people take public transportation simply for the relative convenience.

• Well evidence (look above at grammar of the QA) shows otherwise.

• no i don't hink so