What do white people do when they're singing along to rap/hip hop songs and the n word comes up?

Abruptly stop? Say something else?

Most Helpful Guy

• I pretty much just say it unless i don't know what somebody's feelings about it would be

It's a little annoying to have been brought up in a culture where i hear that word 100 times a day but i still have to tiptoe around it.

But it's whatever, i do it anyway, out of respect for strangers and friends and stuff.

Most Helpful Girl

• Actually, I'm allowed to say it because, although I am not African American, my parents are from Ukraine and, therefore, weren't a part of American slavery. Also, if you read up on Renaissance slavery, Africa specialized, as one of its trades at some point, selling slaves from other parts of Africa, some other place, and eastern Europe - where Ukrainians are! They actually were enslaved, too.
    So, being born in Phillie, loving rap, and having darker-skinned cousins (Ukrainians were raped by Mongolins and given brown hair, brown eyes, and dark skin), nigga is actually a greeting we use for each other in my family.
    So, if I encounter it in a song, guess what I do.

What Guys Said 23

• We replace it with the word "cracker".

• Freedom of speech nigga.

• Imagine a white person singing this.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0itOCgJtNVU

• Its part of the song, and its just a word. Words mean the meaning you attach to it

trUe dAt homies be caLLin EAch OthEr nigga and it means buddies

• I don't sing (... ever), but if I did I'd just say it. I don't really see the issue. If someone's going to get really angry about me saying a particular word in a song, they really need to find something to do.

• I say it if you wish. I don't like the word. I skip it or replace it

• My white coworker says nigga when we rap at work and I don't care it's apart of the song.

• 0|0
  • I don't even say it Nigga around black strangers to my black friends. But in karaoke places its usually the clean version.

• Honestly I don't say it so I just skip it lol

• I like to say n igg er even if the rapper says nigga instead.

You know, cuz fuck political correctness.

• they say it... cos every white person deep down hates black people... it's the fair skin and straight hair DNA...

• If they dont want other saying or calling them that, then they should quit calling themselves that.
    I dont really listen to rap, but people who do are being conditioned to use the same slang they hear.

• They can say it so I can say it
    Even though I don't.

• I personally wouldn't stop. I don't give a shit. Not a racist and I always try to make it clear.

• I say it if I'm with people cool with it, and won't if they aren't

• Most people just keep going. I'd not sing along at all

• Mumble quietly unless completely alone.

• As long as there aren't any niggers around I'll say n**. But if a n** heard a random white guy say n** there would be hell to pay. Funny how they can call us honky, white bread, whitey, cracker... the list goes on but a white person saying n** is the end of the world.

• Not really an issue because the majority of us (all age groups) don't listen to that in the first place.

• 1|4
  • Gonna be here a while? Sniggers it keeps you waiting.

• Rap? No thanks, I'm educated.

What Girls Said 14

• I usually do my own weird version of a radio edit. I remember during like high school I heard it edited to something that sounded like zinger on the radio and I say that like second nature now hahah I don't feel comfortable saying it, I know it's just a word and my non-white friends say it even some of my white friends do but I can't it feels wrong.

• I don't even think I know any rap songs that use that word. "Know" as in know all the lyrics to them. Rap isn't exactly a genre I listen to all the time, so it's not like I'd be trying to sing or rap along in the first place. But if I for whatever reason did know some songs, I guess I wouldn't try to rap along at all if someone I knew could get offended. If I was alone or just with some friends I think it would be fine. The word doesn't affect or phaze me but if I knew it offended someone else, then of course I wouldn't use it around them. So like I said I wouldn't even try to rap around them, abruptly stopping would just make things awkward.

• 0|2
  • I just say it but quieten down a little haha

• They start hyperventilating.

• they say it the N word isn't just for black people that just shows your ignorance sure black people for some reason love that word I don't know why they do but its still defined in the dictionary as a fucking WORD

• I say it. Filler

• lalala (*^^*) ♪

• they just say it

• Sing that shit.

• I like Motown more than rap, but to me a word is a word. It's your intent that makes a word good or bad.

Someone with malice can sneer "black" or "white" or "gay" or "straight" or "woman" or "man" that make it nastier than the mere words "nigger" or "cracker" or "queer" or "breeder" or "bitch" or "dick"

Likewise, a look full of hate hurts more than a "fuck you"

• Don't say it. It's not your word to reappropriate. Just because it's in a song doesn't excuse it

• I just say it...