Why are there always white people?

Anyone notice when you google or yahoo an image, that the people that come up are White?
Ex: Google Young man, Young woman, Girl, or Boy etc. (you'll see what I am talking about).
It's almost as if other races of people don't exist according to these search engines.
Am I the only one finding this a bit racist?
((I grew up in a time where pretty much the only images displayed on TV were that of white people))--I feel like the search engines are setting me back into that time.

In order to get different races of people , I have to specify in the link which race I want to be shown.
I think they should all be mixed in together in all honesty.

Most Helpful Guy

• Holy shit you're right, I searched baby girl and all babies were white for a long while and finally a non white baby came up but it was this

o.aolcdn.com/.../one.jpg

• Yikes!!
      No wonder it was at the bottom.
      How long did you have to search before you got that?

• In the eighteenth row to be exact and each row on google image search option has 5- 7 pictures

Most Helpful Girl

• Because in the more modern world the majority are still white. It is still the default colour in the westernised world. It won't always be that way, society can take a long time to adjust to changes. It's been less than 100 years since segregation in the US ended, just a drop in the ocean when looking back over the history of everything.

• Ha, downvoted for that, some people need to get a grip.

Thanks for the mho though :)

• No problem.

You're speaking truth though.
      Some people would rather not acknowledge.

• Yeah... the downvoters are probably part of that group.

What Guys Said 22

• Yeah, I've been noticed that about search engines also BUT I never gave a damn about something that doesn't really even matter in the grand scheme of things in my life. I mean there are a lot of other things that I could be worrying about when compared to who shows up on some dumb search engine, right? And it isn't like I/we don't know that Asian-black people exist, right? LOL. So hey I have to type in "Asian people" Imma do that... it isn't like that 2 more seconds of typing is going to kill me ^_^

.i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

• You're right. But it's just aggravating because I need people images from those search engines and that's all I ever see

• LMAO I know exactly what you're saying + agree... but hey in the end at least it's possible to see ___ people in about 2 seconds depending on your typing speed if you ask for them in the serach bar ^_^

• And even when you specify a race, you still get white images showing up.

It really pisses me off when I am very specific about something, and still 90% of the results come back relating to white and not what I was searching for.

• If you look up Human on Wikipedia there's an image of a man and woman from Thailand.
    I think the reason search engine images for man and woman are primarily white people is because I think most generic models happen to be white people. In the US at least. I couldn't tell you why that is though.

• Countries that contain a majority of white people or stem from a majority of white people (like america for example) and have most of their internet companies based in a place like that will get mainly white people, it's just to do with race, some internet companies based in my country, The Uk, have a tendency to feature both black and white people, but very little of those of whom are indian or Asian, Because although there is a 50/50 split of black and white people in London, a majority of those people with darker skin tend to originate from places like Africa or the middle east, simply because it's closer, but there is an ideal of middle-class white family in this country too, which shouldn't really exist, because the class system doesn't exist anymore, but that stereotype is fading out, but just remember, even if there's a white majority over a black majority, it doesn't mean its racist, to infer that race matters is racist. (not saying that you're racist, because you're not, its just that if we make a statement of race, t hen it becomes more of a problem)

• I use DuckDuckGo. Your claim is wrong for my case.
    Boy: duckduckgo.com/?q=boy&t=ffsb&iax=1&ia=images
    Girl: duckduckgo.com/
    I can see mixed races (brown, Asian, white...) but I do agree most of the pics have white people in them. This is probably because of the amount of content created by white dominated countries.

• duckduckgo? never heard of that.
      Im talking about yahoo and google.

• @Asker of course, the general public isn't aware of DDG yet, due to dominance of Google search. I switched long time back, haven't looked back ever since then! (except for google translations but I have an extension for that and I use Windows Bing maps :P )
      I've already given my reasoning as to why there are many white people pictures available.

• If you are doing a search from a US based computer this doesn't surprise me. Considering that 80% of the US identifies as "white" why would you expect something different as a search return? Google doesn't operate based on political correctness, it works based off of data. I just did a Google search for "young man" and of the top 20; most are "white", two are black, a couple look middle eastern. Seems like they returned along demographic lines.

Try the same search in Korea and shocker... all Koreans... .

• Blame the media. Actors, Singers, Stars, Politicians.. mostly all white. And most attractive people too

• I believe the search engine is personalized to your geographic location. You're probably in the USA, where Caucasians are the majority, therefore, you'll be shown more images of Caucasians, unless your geographic location isn't predominantly populated by whites, in which case you should ignore this answer.

• (facepalm)

Just because these white people were in the right place at the right time,

does NOT mean that it's racist that their picture was taken.

Probably people of other races just weren't interested in taking the photo that day.

• why is everything about race any more?

• Never crossed my mind. Well let's add another thing to the "let's get offended list".

• White is considered the default race. Is it right? No. But that's the eay it is.

• You use yahoo?

• A computer algorithm can not be racist as it has no concept of what "race" is

• There's putting setting the default image as white? Isn't that correct

• *There's people setting the default image as white? Isn't that correct?

• Nope, people upload image to google, when you search an algorithm runs and it gives you the most probable results based on a number of many different variables. it's basically machine learning, a machine that has no intelligence can not be racist. The fact that it shows white people first is prob more due to the fact that there are simply more pictures of white people than other ethnics.. not due to racism but just vast quantity

I don't have time to write an essay on this so just trust me on it.. i actually did AI and algorithms at uni

• Yeah so true. It should be like the way it is with animals. When you'd search for "lazy dogs" you would get results showing all kinds of dogs not just specific ones. I got you point

• Because we look good.

• Results you get depend on your geographic location. Most of the results will be people of the race that is most common in your location.

Seeing everything as racist must be so tiring tho.

• cuz white people are beautiful

• IF this is Google worldwide, I agree. IF this is for U. S. results, since there are more Whites, I would expect it to be lopsided but not exclusively just Whites.

• Google Asian dick or black balls then 😂

• Most people on the English speaking internet are white. It's little to do with being racist, but if that's the route you want to take...

• I guess it should be by now but it has always been the norm because of the majority of people were white and that controlled things were but times are changing as you will notice just in tv commercials how many black and Asian people are on them now. I am white but I noticed it too

What Girls Said 12

• Even search engines are too racist for you? It must suck to be that sensitive all the time.

• Lolol, when did you becomes like this. Miss stalker

• Hahaha Belle Girl with the KILL!!!

• She has a fan club , Horray for her.
      I handled my own here.
      She killed nothing

• I don't think you should worry yourself too much about this...

• Im not. But this is a question site. So that's why I felt like I at least have a right to ask.

• Of course you have a right. But I am just saying, it's nothing to worry about...

• Because to many, white is idolized. It's a shame, I know. If you want to see people of another race, you have to place that in their identity. It's never just a boy, it's a black boy. It's not a girl, it's an Asian girl. It's just how our society is. European features are the "best". Some people are saying "Well when I search on this site I get a Indian man..." bla bla bla. That is overlooking the problem, that doesn't make it even. European features will always be idealized until we create more diversity into our aesthetics.

• Thats how society is its been that way for decades. Whites are the majority and I think its part racial.

• When I looked up Girls I saw in the new a African American.
    s2.quickmeme.com/.../...7b49570644c53212d74678.jpg

• In western society, whites are the majority, so it does make sense, but at the same time I do think we need more representation of other races. It pains me to imagine how children of minorities must feel sometimes watching television or movies and not seeing someone "like them" depicted very much.

• Im pretty sure if you google those words in, say, Chinese the people will be Asian tho 😅👍

• It's not accurate. Its THE Indians / Pakistanis and white people who dominate the internet.

• They're the default race I don't know why.

• Yeah it's messed up.

• Because the world is still very racist. That's what it all boils down to.
    I expect plenty of negs.
    You can't even suggest the possibility of anything possibly being racist, even if its blatantly racist, without getting negs.
    RACIST, RACIST, RACIST.
    I bet someone's blood is boiling right now.

• It's more related to SEO than racism. http://searchengineland.com/seotable

What you really want is more diversity in stock images that are used. Search engines don't have sentiment and aren't human in their calculations.

• I read an article about a group that was getting just that (more diversity in stock images) but I can't find it. Thanks to SEO, again, searching anything that involves "stock images" brings up a ton of stock image sites and not the articles I'm seeking. Anyway, if you do some digging, there are some movements out there.