Let's test your honesty?

You decide to get a cup of coffee.

Let's say the coffee costs $4.45. You pay with a $5.00. For those who don't feel like doing math, you're owed $0.55 change.

The barista gives you two nickles and a quarter. This amounts to $0.35.

Do you go back to the counter and request proper change?

What if the barista gives you two quarters and a dime? This amounts to $0.60. Would you go back and correct the issue?

Be honest. No judgement :)

• I would only go back to correct the issue if I had been short changed.
  • I would only go back if I had been given too much change.
  • I would go back regardless.
  • I would not have gone back regardless.

Most Helpful Guy

• One time my bank accidentally deposited $40,000 into my account. No one noticed and I could have gotten away with it. It sat in there a month. At first I thought it was a prank so I waited the first week. But by the second week it was still in there and nobody called me about it. I figured it was a mistake and that the bank would find it and fix it. Going into the fourth week it was still there. A few days into the 4th week I'd called the bank and asked them to tell me how much was in my account. They told me I had $46,000 and some odd change and asked if I needed a transfer or anything. I was completely shocked that not one person at the bank noticed that kind of money missing. I waited 2 more days after that and told them about the mistake and how I thought they were fucking with me. The gave me $100 dollars for telling them about the mix up.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would go back regardless but, that's why I make sure I'm given correct change when they first hand it to me. One time I was getting coffee and it was a new person in training. She under-charged me for the coffee (although I didn't realize that until after the owner noticed and mentioned it). At first he told me to forget about it since it was their mistake but I went back anyway and paid the extra $.70. I prefer being honest when it comes to money, even if it's not a high amount.

• I was once given back too much change at a 7-11 (I think it was a quarter). When I brought it to the attention of the clerk, the clerk was irritated. I wound up just putting the money in the take-a-penny-leave-a-penny jar.

What Guys Said 40

• personally, its not significant enough for me to do either. I would just move on.

• I would tell them if I noticed they gave me to much but honestly I don't actually pay attention to change so I probably wouldn't notice either way.

• it really depends on my mood when it comes to asking for my correct change. As for giving back over-change, well, it also depends on my mood. However, $4.45 for a cup of coffee is absurd, so it's not likely that I would feel inclined to give it back. I might drop it in the 'tip' jar, though.

• I answered "would not go back regardless." However, that is because it is over chump-change.

I bought a bracelet for Christmas and paid 50$, which was how much it cost. The cashier thought I gave her a 100$ bill and gave me back 50$. I immediately gave it back to her and corrected the mistake. Honest? Probably. Stupid? Absolutely.

• I'd go back on both counts.

I manage my personal finances like a business, so there's no way I am going to lose a penny to a multi-national corporation, they make enough of a net profit. If I am given too much change then my conscience kicks in and I feel guilty, so I give the money back.

• If it's a place like a dunkin I'll drop something in the tip jar and let them do the same with the change also. If it was a grocery store though then I normally don't even bother to count the coins, if I do and I was shortchanged I usually will just walk cause it's too little for me to bother to go back. If I was given too much though I'll make my way back and give the person the money and do so without anyone else seeing, no need to get anyone in trouble.

• I would want to get my money if I was short changed but in reality I will shamefully admit that I almost never count the change. I just put it in my wallet and go. A bad habit.

• doesn't matter... its just more change. personally... i try not to take change that ain't silver.

• Honestly, I probably wouldn't notice the change. I usually don't care. However, I usually pay by debit card anyway, so I don't have to worry about that.

• I would I could care less if I got too much change back but I would also be a bit upset if I didn't get enough change back. Sometimes they respect your honesty this one guy did the change wrong when I was at radio shack and I told him he gave me 10 cents extra and he said that's okay keep it.

• it's not that big of a deal, really. I don't know if it's a small town thing or local thing, but if they give me too little back or 2 much back (like a few cents), then i just move on. like, i'll even tell them to keep the change or they just tell me it's fine if it turns out i don't have enough change. a few coins aren't gonna make or break you or make or break even.

• I don't even look at my change the majority of the time. and for anything less than a dollar I could not be bothered.

If I did feel somewhere was short changing me I simply would not continue business with them, there's no point in complaining.

Of course if was a larger amount I would go back, regardless. I've worked cashier jobs before so I know what it's like to have a short till.

• I don't recall the last time I bought or sold something, where I actually cared enough to stop and count the coins.

Dollars? Yes, I have stopped and said I had too much change. At a metals shop I stopped and said I had too much change, and the dealer said I should consider it a discount. Purchasing some things at a 2nd and Charles bookshop, I stopped and thought my change was wrong, that the girl gave me too much. She was pretty sure it was right, so.

• I'd go back regardless. I don't want the person running to register to get fired for the register being out of balance.

• I usually don't count the change with such small amounts... but if I notice that she gave me too much then I'll tell her because I know they can get in a lot of trouble for it
    if I got not enough back... for such a small difference I'd only ask if I'd notice right at that moment... if it's only later then fuck it. too lazy and not worth for 0.20$

• If it's small change I wouldn't notice as I don't check small change like that.
    If it was a bill/note that was giving in error then I would tell them.

• I would leave both amounts as part of the tip.

If you'll permit me to be honest here, I have doubts that niggling about nickels and dimes is much of a test of a person's honesty.

• Something as small as a few cents I would not go back simply because it is not important, had it been dollar bills yes I would have gone back, I have done it in the past.

• I'd just say keep the change.

I hate having any kind of monetary American coin besides quarters. It's just a hassle having to deal with dimes and pennies and nickels. They really only take up space.

• There'd have to be a bigger disparity in order for me to go back, especially if there's a line.

• Chances are I would just leave without the change anyway can't be bothered to hang around for that amount of money

• The businesses already make their profit and overcharge for everything

Its money owed to me and then some... thats how I see it

• I don't count the small change I get back so I would probably go on my way without even thinking about it

• Honesty? That's either the clerk's dishonesty or incompetence. Nothing about my honesty.

I honestly don't give a shit about change

• I would go back regardless. I have also pointed out at restaurants when they have forgotten to charge me for a bottle of wine. I believe in good karma.

• For a change difference that small, I would probably not go back.

• Going back or I feel bad

• In this case, D, it's just a few cents. If it's a larger amount of money, I wanna say C but honestly it'd be A.

By the way, where would I pay $4,45 for a cup of coffee? I can get that for like two.

• I'd tip the rest anyway so it wouldn't matter. If she can't do math she'll just get less of a tip.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 21

• if we're being honest, i have done both. I've been short changed and 'over changed' multiple times.

sometimes I've been short changed and haven't gone back to fix it [if the amount is insignificant], other times i have.

sometimes i've been overcharged and have gone back to fix it [more likely if the amount is significant], other times i haven't.

depends on my mood i guess haha.

• Honestly I wouldn't care it's juat change... Maybe if it was dollars it would be a different answer.

But I can tell you for the most part unless people don't care like me majority of the people that would go back would only go back because they were cheated. There's only a few people that would go back and especially just to give them a nickel.

• I doubt I'd even notice, because I never count my change (I know I should, I just... don't care enough). But if I did notice... I wouldn't bother going back if they gave me $0.35. I would go back if they gave me $0.60, though, because even if it's only 5 cents, it's not mine and I do think the little things matter.

• I would go back in both cases.. if I am short changed then too.. to tell him he made a mistake and he should be careful.. I don't ask for money back tho..
    2nd case. I would go because this is his hard earned money.. and we should care about others... this actually has happened to me a lot of times. I always go to give money back,..
    we should just try to put ourselves in others' shoes and we'll get the right answer.. :)

• I wouldn't go back for change, sometimes I don't even want change back and just tell them to keep it. If I had received a little less change I would be fine and move on, if I received a little more I'd be like "oh cool" and move on.

• This is not something I would even notice because I never check.

• I probably wouldn't go back if she gave me 5 cents more change, haha. I mean, she only went 5 cents over. But she would have shorted me like 25 cents. That's a big difference.

• Being brutally honest in that situation I would only go back if I had been short changed.

If we were talking a bigger amount difference, I would go back regardless. But the sake of a few pence over, I wouldn't.

• I'd probably be really busy

so in both cases I would just take my coffee and leave without realizing shit

• I usually just take the change and put in my pocket without looking. I would only notice if the bills were off. And in that scenario, I would say something either way too much or too little.

• I wouldn't have gone back either way.

• I never notice because I never count the change :s
    But I would probably give back the money if she gave me more.

• I would just go back. I work in a icecream shop and if you got a difference in change (especially the negative ones), you get in so much trouble. So I want to be a nice person and spare that for her or him.

• I'm lazy I dont even look at the change given back to me (i've prolly been jipped sooo many times. I don't care), change is so insignificant to me. Sometimes I even say keep the change.

So I wouldn't have noticed. Unless the amount of change was insane like I give $6.00 for something that costs $5.52, and I get $5 back.

Even then I'd keep the $5...

• I'd only go back if the barista gave me too much change.

• That amount is not really significant. If I was still at the counter I would correct him. If it was a larger amount I would go back

• Only if it's more than a dollar.

• I probably wouldn't go back if they gave me an extra 5 cents. 5 cents won't benefit the coffee company, and it won't benefit me either.

• I'm too lazy to go back if he shorted me by that little. I dont even keep change I usually drop it on the ground outside

• I would just say keep the change before he handed it back.

• It doesn't really matter. Either situation I wouldn't go back. It's pointless over a few coins.