Can you smell when a girl is on their period?

I can, and its actually disgusting it kind of smells like rotting fish.

• Yeah, I can
  • No, I can't
  • Sometimes.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah I notice it quite often actually, like all the time but I just keep quiet about it so I don't embarrass the girl (s). Totally awkward! Like if a girl walks past me for instance, I can definitely tell if she's 'on the blob' because I always get a particular whiff of strong musky/fishy scent. It's a very particular smell and I know what it smells like because my girlfriend smells like it for 5 days of the month. I can just pick up on it quite easily, even if the girl keeps it very clean, it won't make a difference.

I heard somewhere that evolution has made it so men are able to detect whether a female is menstruating or fertile as to increase mating success. In fact I smelt this particular musky/fishy smell twice today at work when women walked past my desk, and one of them smelt a lot muskier than the other. On my lunch break I also noticed the musky smell on a woman in the elevator at the mall and on another woman in the queue at Subway. Swear down. It is a very specific smell & I seem to pick up on it easy. A few of my friends agree with this too, but a few others think I'm crazy...

I can also tell when my girlfriend is at the most fertile part of her cycle by her smell. Like she just smells different to normal and I can naturally pick up on something different about her that REALLY makes me want to fuck her. I think it may be natural pheromones that her body releases. I don't know how to explain it but I do know it makes me craaazy horny for about a week and I can't stop thinking about wanting to get her pregnant and I become obsessed with babies. Then a week later I stop noticing the smell & I'm not as horny or wanting kids anymore. Proper strange.

• If a girl is hygienic, you wouldn't be able to tell a thing.

• jeez dude, you've got an impressive sense of smell lol

• Well it's not a special sense, I think it's pheromones that make us smell that you are 'on'. Try researching pheromones online & you'll see what I mean. I'm sorry if it makes you self conscious, but I was just being honest. It's not as bad as you think though, it doesn't smell that bad or even like actual period smell, say if you were up close to a vagina when she is 'on', now that stinks, but rather what I smell when a girl walks past is more like a musky/piney body odour with a hint of fishy smell as I have previously said. Sometimes I smell it so often when out of the house that I don't react to it because I am used to it, especially if a girl is sitting next to me, I will get used to the smell within a minute or two. At big social gatherings, where there are lots of women (especially parties) I find it can be really quite strong smelling even though the women are obviously well cleaned & wearing perfume. I can tell what girl it's coming from when she walks past. Yikes!

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, sometimes... but it doesn't smell like fish at all, it smells metallic.

What Guys Said 5

• Yep. But guys are generally aware of a slight change in odor, it's not as overpowering to us as it is to girls.

• Bleh, way to gross me out with that shit.

• Lol you mean like a bear?

• Yes I can and actually the pheremones attract me and its very intoxicating

• Depends on the girl hygiene

What Girls Said 9

• Get over yourself. All females have one. That's why you bath/shower everyday and change your pad/tampon every 2-4hours.

• I know, i'm sorry if you haven't gotten your period and don't know what its like (your profile says your only 15) but I was just asking if you can smell it, i didn't say there was anything wrong with it. :)

• Oh I know what it's like to have a period. 😂 No I can't smell it.

• Umm, are you on about you or others?

I get aware of myself but it's more in panic. I make sure I change my pad often.

• You're not smelling a period then if it smells like rotting fish. No one can smell when a person is hygienic about their period. >__>

• Generally no, but I have. It smells icky and the fact that I've noticed it on other words en scares me because I'm always afraid someone will notice it on me, especially my boyfriend since he gets closest to me

• Sometimes I can. Like if i'm sitting by a girl for long periods of time... lol long periods. jk but yeah sometimes.

• I can't smell it unless the person has really bad higine and i think pads smell somtimes without blood on them or with somtimes i can smell the pad haha

• Lol period blood isn't supposed to smell. If someone smell they aren't cleaning themselves properly

• Only if they don't clean up right. If they don't, then the smell can linger.

• If the unpleasant odor comes from you when you are on your period, you should change your pads/tampons more often and you should take care of your hygiene more.
    I cannot smell it on myself or other girls.