Have you ever had to put an animal down?

Not even necessarily from old age or physical illness?

My favorite dog, who is my sisters dog, is potentially getting put down if a behavior specialist from the humane society finds him unable to be mentally recorrected.

because he essentially bit the top of her fiances uncles hand off and his uncle had to get like 9 stitches.

annnd other issues in my life got resolved so now this has finally hit me full force and I've just been sorta... layin here cryin about it.

Most Helpful Guy

• My cats are getting at that age and the thought of me having to put down my little babies tears my teeny little heart into tiny little pieces.

Most Helpful Girl

• yes, my cat got cancer and he was in pain, he couldn't eat or lay down by the time they found his stomach cancer... It broke my heart to see him in pain, i held him in my arms and he laid his head on my chest and looked me in the eyes the whole time and purred right until the end. It took me so long to get over his death. He would always be waiting outside the house for me to get home from school or work and it was awful not to have him sitting there and come running to me. I still expect to see him sitting waiting for me or feel in curl up im my arms at night. Its very awful but i couldn't let him suffer.

What Guys Said 17

• Only through old age or illness - That sucks for you, it sounds like it is the straw that broke the camels back for you on top of everything else and that is making you so emotional.
    I hope it works out for the dog and the other matters that are making you sad become less of an emotional tangle for you, best wishes.

• I never had to do it, but when I was 7 I killed a baby dog by accident by crushing her head when I was carrying a chair so that I could sit. She was little and liked to play near my feet, since I was carrying the chair I didn't see her and she was still a little puppy (2 months old). I liked her a lot and cried for days, blaming myself for what had happened.

• Yeah I've had to do it just once but that once was really hard, my other pets thank goodness died from old age and natural causes here in my home, not sure which is more harder having a stranger put them down or being with them when they die and then digging their graves.

• no but I was always the one who had to bag and tag the animal and put it in the freezer.

• I have not, but I feel your pain. When I volunteered with a rescue group, I saw many rescue animals have to be put down and it broke my heart into pieces every single time. :(

I hope your sister's dog is okay. I really do.

• I had to do with several behaviour-troubled dogs in my life - usually due to certain pasts. If I learned one thing from it is that every behaviour can be calmed and corrected, but you need to know how to handle the certain behaviour and the dog. The problem rarely is the dog, but the pack-leader who is supposed to guide and teach the dog.

• Yeah he's a rescued Rottweiler from Craigslist so who knows what the former owners did to him.

• Can only hope they manage to do it. Else the dog gets punished for something he isn't to blame for.

• Believe me, I know. I'm not an advocate for putting animals to sleep unnecessarily nor do I blame animals for any behavior issues.

• I'm so sorry to hear that.. I've only had to put a dog down for an illness. I hope they find him able to be mentally corrected :/

• Yeah many time. I've always had gold fishes and when one of them were sick and dieing I put em down to avoid getting my other fishes sick

• Yes I have had to have animals put down... it is never fun and it breaks your heart because they are part of the family! I made the choice to do it because both times the animals heath was deteriorating and I did not want to see them suffer.

• Give the dog up to someone in a different jurisdiction.

• They're not forcing them to put him down if they think he can't be fixed, but my sister and her fiancé have decided it's the right thing to do in that situation because he can be quite aggressive to people he isn't familiar with.

• Sure, except he's a rescue dog so she had no control over what happened to him when he was younger and any neglect he may have faced. That's why the specialist is coming over, to see if they can help them train the dog.

The dog is aggressive, and that's very well due to something in his past. She is well aware it's a training issue and not a dog issue, though there are breeds that are more susceptible to things just kind of.. snapping.. in their brains, which may make it damn near if not impossible to train them.

People seem to be overlooking the fact that I said they were bringing in a specialist to try and help train him to see if it's even possible. Selective reading gets you nowhere.

• I doubt that the dog is a "red zone dog", but there are people who will adopt red zone dogs. All a red zone dog needs is a comfortable environment. I adopted a red zone dog (not knowing that at the time) who was hostile to other dogs. We had other dogs, discovered this about here, and, despite our efforts, she could not stay with us. Most professionals said that she should be put down, but I was adamantly against it. I did get a trainer who said she'd be OK if in a home with no other dogs. Luckily, I was able to find a woman who would take her, so we gave her up. My point is that red zone dogs can have a decent life if they are in the right environment with the right person. Being put down is almost never necessary.
      positively.com/.../
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjIoLNN1N4g

• my neighbors chicken

My sister accidentally dropped him and he was dying slowly they had to kill him
    and burry him

• Yep. One of our cats had been driven over by a car. Her whole bottom part was crushed :/

• Da, twice. Sucks with the dog since we'd only had her for a couple of months.

• Two dogs of old age. I did it myself and was very upset both times.

• Kidney's shut down, yes

• Yeah, it hurts.

• 3 dogs all from old age

What Girls Said 5

• Ehh only like 5 tiny kittens who were terribly sick for I don't even know what reason. They were like 2-3 weeks old, they were slowly dying, it was horrible to watch, I couldn't stop crying, so we decided it's for the best to put them out of their misery and called the vet.

• So tough for you all. I sorry. Sadly, safety comes first. Some animals simply can't be rehabilitated.

I'm so sorry.

• My family had to put our first dog, Ace, down. He was unable to see anymore, and it was taking a toll on his health. Still sad thinking about it.

I'm really sorry to hear about your sister's dog, too. That is a hard situation to be in. You don't want him to hurt anyone, of course, and you've already connected. I hope he can be trained properly, but spend as much time as you can with him anyway. <3

• Sorry about your loss 😔

And yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of her fiancé but I'm definitely gonna suck it up and start going over there more to be with him (the dog).

• Aww, thanks. Yeah, it happened a long time ago now, but he was such a good dog.

Well, if he's not that great of a guy, no wonder that he was bit by the dog. Hah. Mhmm, that's all you can do at this point unfortunately. See him and play with him when you can. If you need to vent about anything, I'm here!

• So far I haven't. Though when I tried to get my cat tiger fixed. Her heart stopped and she almost died. Lucky for me they brought her back but after that she wasn't 100% the same. Still she was an awesome kitteh. ^^

• Omg.. I could never do that to a dog.. 😢😢😭😭😭 other animals sure..