What would you do if your kid joined ISIS?

It's summer. Your kid (male or female) just turned 18 and is starting college in September. They tell you they're going to Bodrum, Turkey with some friends for a vacation. When they're there they answer your calls, everything seems normal.

Then they stop answering completely. Their friends don't either. The year passes without a word from them.

The next October, you get an email from one of the friends. He explains everything: in Bodrum they meet a woman from ISIS, she tells them about Islam, how life is free of sin and corruption in the Islamic State, her love for Allah, how they'll be awarded with jariyehs and all kinds of beauty when they go to Jannah, etc. So they decide to convert to Islam by reciting al-Shahada and go to Sirnak, a border province between Turkey and Syria, and enter Syria at a weak spot.

There, they swear to loyalty and go into training to become suicide bombers when the time comes. He says that they adapted to life there, learned Arabic and they all live in a house with 3 other militants. They used to be 4, but one of them went to Turkey for a bombing. He thinks it was Ankara. Cigarettes are outlawed, the "secret police" give people tickets for traffic violations and he witnessed a man being pushed off a building because they suspected he could be homosexual. Their female friend that settled in another house works in producing black niqabs that women are required to wear. He says that the reason he was able to send the email was that he started working in a place where they prepared and sold propganda CDs for ISIS and he felt like he had to tell you.

What would you do?

Update: I got the province wrong—Sirnak doesn't share a border with the Islamic State. They would be entering through Gaziantep or Kilis.

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless I have a shit-ton of money to hire the Kurds to help me get him / her back - I'm kinda fucked here.

Go to the FBI and tell 'em everything I know... that's first.

Other than that... since I'm retired active military and still work for the military as a civilian... I'd talk to every friend I have in JSOC, to see what kind of info they could give me on my kid's location. If I know the kid's location, maybe they can figure out a way to get him out... but probably not.

I mean Jesus... you've created a "Kobiashi Maru" scenario here. Really no way to win here.

• I wonder if you could get their passport cancelled. Wouldn't want someone radicalized in that way to come back and go into "sleeper cell" mode, I understand that's a huge concern with so many from Europe going to join them.

• @KHaskins I've never been a fan of canceling passports. Because - the "no-fly" list is often screwed up and it contains incorrect names. If they project that to passports - I think the same thing will happen. What I don't want to happen is for ME to stranded in Bahrain with an invalid passport because of some bureaucratic screwup that cancelled my passport. You have to have a passport to get a hotel in most places in the Middle East. I'd be on the streets with the jihadists. Not my favorite position to be in.

But I hear what you are saying - I would thinking maybe "flagging" the passport so that when the person gets to customs in the States - they are diverted, or detained for questioning by officials to determine if they have the right guy?

I don't know - but like you... I don't want them coming back here.

I also don't want to personally be stranded on the streets of Bahrain! Or any other country over there.

I travel there often.

Most Helpful Girl

• Dang that would mean I f'd up as a parent for my child to blindly believe anything anyone has to say about anything then to go and change their life drastically.
    Hopefully I'll be a much much much MUCH better parent than that.

Since the child still contacts me, I'd talk to him a lot and try to talk some sense into him. If I try my absolute best and nothing seems to work. I'd tell the FBI or something.

What Guys Said 39

• No child of mine would ever join ISIS. If they were that foolish, I'd pray they came to their senses before it was too late. But I wouldn't stage a rescue. They'd figure out on their own what a crock of crap that group and its promises are.

That, or Putin would blow them to kingdom come. Just as well. I wouldn't even hold a grudge on the guy if he did. He's just doing what he thinks he has to in order to protect Russia.

Honestly, it'd be a problem that would take care of itself.

• Indeed, my son wouldn't certainly not :)

• @Mesonfielde Where did I write or say that it's the indicator of a healthy mind to be enthusiastic about this? But at moments , some people get misguided, lose contact with reality and do really stupid things.

• @jacquesvol I cannot relate to that.

• Let them die. They are obviously defective and so their death is good for the species so their defective genes don't pollute our species genetic line.

• Their genes are also yours. Unless they got it from their mother.

• It doesn't matter if the genes are mine or not. The fact of the matter is that the child is defective regardless of the source of the genes - whether be mine, his mother's, or a congenital issue or nurturing issue - and humans as defective as this should be allowed to die. That's how evolution works and advances our species.

• If a family member went and joined ISIS, I would get a passport, hunt them down and kill them myself.

• If they joined ISIS, they are not my family members anymore. I fight for this country. If he wants to pledge loyalty to a terrorist group, he is committing treason, which the punishment for that is death. I would let him die. Would I be sad? Yes, with all my heart, but I can't have a terrorist be my family member.

• You wrote a piece of propaganda. You must have been reading a lot on the internet about it.

Your question? I'd go there myself and get it back.

• My family is worried that I'd do this. In their "Fox News" level of understanding, all muslims are the same - potential terrorists. They don't seem to accept that I have no intention of converting and neither my girlfriend (a very progressive muslim) nor anyone in her family has pressured me to do so. I understand I shook them up when I revealed this relationship to them, but their attitude is still embarrassing at times.

If I had a kid who did what you posulate, though, @asker, they'd be dead to me. I'd sign on with the "Lions of Rojava" and fight on the other side.

• I hate people like your parents who don't accept Muslims are just regular people—like allegedly %99 of my country and your girlfriend.

• @Asker terrorists are just "regular people" too, following a really messed up set of beliefs.

Who's to say where the line is between Islam and Radical Islam?

• @KHaskins. Thank you.

@Mesonfielde You have a point. Lots of people try here.

• No child of mine would ever be so stupid as to join daesh.

If he/she for some reason did join the sub-human barbarians i would probably track him/her down and kill him/her. They are no longer my son, they are a monster of the worst kind, they are no longer human.

By the way, this post is very suspicious. Also, who vacations in Bodrum?

• Why is this post suspicious?

Bodrum is still very popular for summer vacations. I even went there once. It's filled with tourists.

• It comes from online research.

• Still suspicious.

• I don't know, I would definitely consider myself a failure as a father at that point. I would rather find out my daughter was a stripper or an escort, than to find out she joined ISIS. I would go over there, and join any group that is fighting them. If I had a kid who supports them, than it's my job to help solve it.

• Plenty of westerners have signed with the Kurdish YPG to fight ISIS. "Lions of Rojava." They're the ally who have seen the greatest success against ISIS, though our government hesitates to support them too much for fear of pissing off Turkey. Secular, democratic, egalitarian, fully one third of their fighters are female - the YPG will keep your passport for a set period of months if you go there, though, they're looking for commitment and have no interest in playing nursemaid to "war tourists." Ex-military types with experience are preferred but not required. Look up Jordan Matson, he was one of the first and he's continued to petition governments to support them after completing his first stint.

• Wow, yeah he's a tyrant. I think because he supports economic liberalism and global trade, the EU and the U. S Support him for business reasons. I think we're being a bit short sighted, (like always) and I really fear for the Turks.

• Thanks for your concern. I don't see aby future here, I'll try to go live somewhere else once I'm done with school. Or if my grandpa dies, maybe we can sell the apartment make a fresh start as a family. If around €60,000 for 4 people is enough.

• If it were my son he's a traitor and now dead to me. If it were my daughter I'd assume she's on her way to being some jihadist's sex slave barely wife. I'm rolling out to Turkey myself, buying an AK, and someone is dying. She's coming back with me if I'm not the one dead.

• I would make a movie of it.

• Well if they legitimately join a training to become suicide bombers, then they clearly don't value their own lives nor the lives of others, there is nothing to be done when someone is so delusional and lost.

• I'd disown his ass ! There is no justifiable reason for ISIS to exist. Good Muslims my ass ! They are barbarians who need to killed. Every
    man, woman and child. That is the only way to defeat them. But NOOOO we Americans must take the moral high road. Why?

• Alert the authorities and have them trace the email back to them and get them all captured and interrogated. The child is a lost cause now, so at least he/she can be used to find out information which can help to fight terrorism.

• I'd send a drone on his sorry ass!! lol jk, I don't know what a complex scenario, idw to think about

• Not much I could do. I'd try to reach out and find a means of communication to try and get them to come back.

• Wonder how the bastard paid the travel costs, and why they didn't give me that dosh.

• Hire a hitman to kill whoever convinced them and bomb the whole country (convenient if one of them did it)
    I can't give a serious answer on that because I know it will never happen if I get a kid.

• It would never come to that. I could never raise my child so badly that it choses to become an extremist.

• If their already that deep then there's not much I could do.

I'd hope they'd snap out of it and get back to me somehow, I wouldn't support their effort to help ISIS.

• I'd get a life insurance policy for them with me as a beneficiary.

• I'd look for him, I'd find him, and I'd kill him, and his closest friends.

• I'd disown him and pretend he doesn't exist. He'd be dead to me.

• I'd kidnap him and give him jail time in the freezer 👌🏼

• My child would go over there only to fight those subhumans. Never to join them.

• Besides the Islam isn't isis thing , I would send him to jail or tell the police in general

• I pray for his soul to see the Light and the Truth. I can only do so much as his father.

• Uh... be sad forever?

• I don't think I would raise my kid to do that sort of thing, but if they did, I would disown them.

• I would report him tto the authority. Get some personal security and tell him to fuck off.

• healyourselfmagazine.com/.../man-disgusted.jpg
    The Hell? these niggas ain muslims!

• More from Guys
    9

What Girls Said 17

• Tell everything I know to the FBI and then s/he had better seek protection from me because this tiny human of mine will get the ass-beating of the century.

• I really hope that by the time my kid is born, there would be no ISIS anymore.

• Assume you're older & your child is already born and 18 right now.

• I don't really care.

• "The year passes without a word from them."
    Shouldn't I have already reported him and his friends as missing people to the authorities in my country and the embassy in Turkey?

I would feel guilty for failing to properly raise my son. I don't think happy or smart people would join ISIS.
    I'd report him and his friends to the authorities, and hope they get to them before it's too late.

• You may have, but assume they weren't able to find him anyway.

• Disown them and tell them to go fuck themselves.

• I would report it to a authority. I can't really do anything else. I would be sad ofcourse but what should I do?

• In my county (Kosovo) lots of young man went to Turkey like your friend and became part of ISIS but lots of them died , does he know in what trouble he is?

• This is fiction, thank God, no friend of mine joined ISIS. I didn't know people joined from Kosovo. I thought it was Christian.

• is albany, there are muslems

• Call the police

• Either hunt him down and kill him, or kill myself.

• I dont care if he's 18. The fuck... He ain't going on that trip in the first place. Pinchi Pendejo.

• I'm never having kids so this is a non-issue.

• I would disown them and give authorities as much information as I could if necessary.

• Turkey is not like a terrorist country and it is not an arabian country. So dont give wrong information to people. And I would be so mad and sad If my child would be in ISIS.

• Girl, I AM from Turkey. But terrorists pass through our country bc we share a border with Syria & our president supports them with funds and weapons. Of course we're not a terrorist country, but the Islamic State is and the way to them passes through Turkey.

• I'd pray for Allah.

• This is slightly creepy coming from an under 18 year old

• Can't help being a teenager.

• I dont need to worry about that, my kids will be to smart to get involved with a bunch of backwards animals like them.

• nothing, at this point said child is not allowed back in to the country. Unfortunately that's that. While it would be hard as a parent, there is nothing you can do unless you try to courage him to escape and sell your whole life back home to move somewhere with my son in secret overseas. While these children are making these mistakes, they are breaking the law. They are planning on killing and ruining the lives of their family and friends. At this point, potentially I don't know how I would feel about them.