Why is Hollywood almost all white, when USA is the most multicultural country in the world?

I'm not expecting Hollywood to have people of every race, but where are the young black actors at least? Or Hispanics? When you look at the actors especially, especially the young ones, they are almost all white. All the popular black actors are well over 40, like Denzel, Will Smith, Morgan Freeman, etc. Yet you have shitty white actors like Channing Tatum who takes 10 years to finally learn how to act in Foxcatcher. I can't even think of one non white young actor that's actually famous. Even among actresses, they are mostly white but there are more non white actresses than actors from what I've noticed. Do you think it's that hard for Hollywood to find young non white actors or they just reject non white actors to star unless it's a historical movie related to minorities? The only time you usually see minority actors on screen are when they are playing minor supporting roles.

Most Helpful Girl

• There are tons of actors who are not white - they're all waiting in line for the same small handful of roles in every show and movie.

Such as:
    The supportive/funny black friend. The sexy latina. The asexual Asian. The evil arab. The first character who dies. The silent character who is in every scene but has like 3 words each season.

There aren't many major roles written for people of color and they aren't actively considered for characters whose races are not specified very often.

It really sucks, in my opinion

• Hahaha. So true. Especially the token black guy. LOL @ the asexual Asian. I don't think I've ever seen a pairing with Asian guy on screen outside of Harold & Kumar and of course The Walking Dead TV show. Bruce Lee was making it in 70s, becoming popular but mysteriously died. Same thing with his son Brandon Lee 20 years later, dying mysteriously.

What Girls Said 3

• Edgar Ramirez, Naveen Andrews two of my favorites!

• Hollywood has actually been going crazy with hispanic characters. Theyre made out to be exotic, especially the women who are really just bitchy.

• The people running it (as in studio execs) make it so. I can't wait to see more diversity on screen. It's happening slowly, but I would like more. I'd like to see more men and women of color take leading roles.

What Guys Said 20

• White people are the majority and are generally wealthier and will go to the movies more often.

I dont think its this racist conspiracy to keep blacks out of hollywood, I think it's all about making money.

I'm not saying racism isn't also a factor but I think a large part of it is that they are just producing what the market wants. Middle class-upperclass are their target demographic and most of the people in that demographic are white.

• Don't East Asians have the highest salary average in America? And Will Smith movies make money. Denzel movies make money too. It's just that Hollywood was more diverse in late 90s when it came to starring roles than it is now. I'm guessing according to your logic, white people wouldn't pay to watch a movie with minorities in starring roles. Only in minor side roles.

• @pavlove
      oh definitely. Europe is likely their biggest market outside the US and that probably plays a role.

• Why am I getting all the downvotes?
      I'm not saying anything vastly different from what anyone else said 😕

• Around 75% of America is white, so obviously, most of Hollywood will be white. There are many young actors that aren't white, but still, there are more chances of having a white main character than one from another race because of numbers.

• it's less than that. maybe 60%

anyway, numbers have nothing to do with it. hollywood is run by old white men, so we're shown what they want to see.

• @hikerdude please do some more reading. you're very ignorant of how the world works.

I'm done with this conversation. please don't mention me again.

• Hollywood is owned by old rich Jewish people, bro

• The majority of the audience for these movies will be white, so it makes sense to cast white actors from a business standpoint. Most of the audience for these films are white people in North American and Europe, thus white actors fill the majority of films.

Hollywood is not a public service, it's a group of businesses trying to produce profit for shareholders. They're going to do whatever makes the most money. That's why we have SEVEN Fast and Furious movies. Those movies weren't made to enrich the cultural milieu, that's for certain. Bullshit forced diversity and PC thought-control initiatives don't pay the rent.

• Will Smith movies make money. The rest of the world doesn't mind seeing movies with white actors or non white actors. I guess it's only the whites who have a problem seeing movies with minorities in main roles. According to this logic that is.

• Will Smith's movies make money because of their special effects, not because of his acting chops. He's every bit as bad an actor as Channing Tatum or Vin Diesel. But you didn't really read what I wrote. I never said Hollywood went out of their way to excluded actors of any ethnicity. If there's a black actor who can carry a film, he'll be given his shots. Denzel has done just fine in that business, and he's one of my favorite actors. But on balance, most actors who get cast in films are going to be white because the majority of audiences are white.

• I have no idea, but it does alarm me how race seems to be a very contentious issue in a self-confessed progressive nation like the United States of America.

I don't really watch films, so I don't care, but it would be nice to see equal opportunities apply to everyone and I would like to see more female roles, because Charlize Theron made Mad Max: Fury Road. I like Tom Hardy, he's a great actor, but Theron just nailed it.

• Because the US is still a majorly white country and hollywood is a place full of nepotism and connections. If you aren't lucky, have connections or slept your way up you will not get into it.

That being said there are several non-white people in hollywood, but your selective perception makes you forget the few there and only focus on the majority benig white.

• Majority of the people are white and majority of Hollywood can be white, but almost all the movies with starring and main roles are white. "Selective perception"? Some non white people in minor side roles. Great! Hollywood is much less diverse than the country itself. Almost no one can name any non white young actor below 40s.

• Because white is the golden standard in the US.

• obviously you don't watch much TV or movies. I see a lot of ethnicities all the time. Hell did you not see the new Star Wars trailer?

• Lol minor roles. Big whoop. And I did, but it still way less diverse than the country itself. I was shocked to see a black actor in the Star Wars trailer.

• but that goes against your theory... black guy... a lead role... in a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR (probably be largest grossing film in history) film. Fear the Walking Dead was almost 100% Hispanic.

Also you seem to ignore the fact that in the US (where Hollywood is) the majority of folks identify as white.

• Um Sony studios is Japanese... Many of these production companies are foreignly owned. Hollywood was also started by Jewish people. Not that they have anything to do with it
    But hollywood was built around white people.

• maybe there haven't been good ones, they are not doing it on purpose

• Because Jewish people are acting like White people control Hollywood lol

• Hollywood is racist?

• Surprised no one has brought this up... Star Wars VII

• a lot of male non white actors are typecasted.

• Hollywood is run by rich white guys, same as Wall Street. Same exact guys probably.

• Blacks are severely overrepresented in Hollywood and pretty much all other media, whites are about properly repersented. Other races not so much.

• Because they'd be hard to shoot with at night time.

• Why are most St. Louis (baseball) Cardinal fans White (based on stadium attendance), when the city has a lot of Blacks. Could it be that Blacks are more into Basketball? Many MLB announcers have been saying it's sad that in this generation, Black men do not want to play baseball, primarily Jon Miller of SF Giants affiliation.

Did you ever think that Black men today don't prefer to enter the profession? Where is it written that Black men OWE you anything by saying: Gee, that anonymous poster on GaG is pissed off he sees no Black guys in Hollywood, so I guess we better take acting classes!

Eddie Murphy, nah! he's not in Hollywood. Denzel Washington, Nah! he's not in Hollywood, Wesley Snipes! nah he's... oh wait! Cuba Gooding, Jr., nah! he's not in Hollywood.

• Because hollywood was FORGED by white people and whites have been racist since the beginning of America's conception. It took a very long time for black people and other minorities to be accepted mainstream. Asians are next in line, they also face discrimination as they try to become more mainstream. They're getting there though.

• Answer me this jerk
    Why is American music dominated by African-American artists?

Almost all the English music I listen to is made by African Americans!

The rap, hip-hop, r and b, is dominated by African Americans!

Hollywood is all about discrimination bro...
    It's just the way things are...
    I do like black actors like the ones you mentioned
    But I think Hollywood and American culture has embraced black artists for the most pet, change takes time and blacks are a minority in the USA don't forget that. Maybe that's why there are more white actors

• So anyone who speaks out against discrimination is a jerk?

Rap, Hip Hop, and R&B are genres which blacks listen to the most and are interested in the most. And American music is definitely not dominated by African American artists. Country, rock, electronic, etc are dominated by white artists. But hey, I'm not complaining because most whites listen to and are interested in country, rock, and electronic music. Some listen to "black music" but they don't try to become a rapper or an R&B singer.

Hollywood meanwhile is capable of hiring many young talented actors who are not black but they choose not to. They only save them for the minor roles. Hollywood was more diverse in late 90s than it is now when it comes to starring roles.

• They try to make a product that will appeal to the most people, most people in the USA aren't black, also, i won't argue that discrimination, it happens. but for money purposes. not race.
      They choose not to hire black because it would lower mass appeal, and we have been ideologically programmed to see through the 'universal eyes of a white man.'

basically the white mans perspective is "universal"
      and it can be related to everyone and applies to everyone

• because thats where the money is.
    realistically speaking, an 'all black' movie, will just make much less money...
    because blacks dont have that much to spend in the first place.
    when the broke ones do have a little bit of disposable income, they buy jordans !

• Straight Outta Compton made a lot of money.

• lol i knew you were going to say that!
      first of all, that is by far the only exception in the last YEARS,
      second, it an an insane marketing strategy, and the brand 'beats' by it self is already super huge, that helped a lot
      and last, im sure, most of the money came from the white people.