What Do You All Think About The Casting Controversy for Episode VII?

Even as a mixed race person, I was shocked given that they brought back the franchise presumably to maximise profits by giving audiences exactly what Lucas failed to deliver on after his first three films. He also isn't considered European looking AT ALL which is great but seemed risky...

Now, after seeing that last trailer, stereotypes being what they are, there's a certain physicality to the actor that I think he brings to the jedi role that Mark Hamill couldn't and wasn't really in Luke's character as a naive farm boy. Aside from this, I think it helps tell story because just as we are intersted to see how a black man will fit into the role of Jedi, so are we totally unsure of what his character is doing in this movie since he's more than likely not Luke's son (again not european looking at all but i could be wrong.)

My thing is--as someone who loves and wants to make movies--I don't want a film like this to be a political statement or be done because it's right to have multicultural casts. At the same time, it's totally believable that there wouldn't be racism in this universe so the idea that the race of lead jedi not mattering isn't ridiculous at all.

I now believe this was a great choice in casting not only because of the interesting dynamic it creates, but because he seems like a great actor. Your thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's stupid. John seemed really great from what I saw in the trailers and in interviews. I like him. I'm excited to see these movies!

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't get the uproar. i'll judge the decision based on how the actor does portraying the character rather than making a decision based on his skin color

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 7

• I think the whole "controversy" is stupid. You have all the retarded looking alien species that makes star wars look like a bad Muppet movie but throw a black guy in? Whoa... too much! Maybe people just can't handle the contrast of black in a white storm trooper suit.

• Jesus fucking Christ who cares what the cast is so long as the movie's interesting. I agree that there are situations when you shouldn't have people of certain color play certain roles - but that is ONLY when you're basically putting black actors in roles for characters that are white either from comics or what. Like that massive peace of dung that was the Fantastic 4 - no reason to have Johny Storm as black when he has always been white.

But this new Star Wars film is about NEW characters - so their race doesn't matter.

• I don't care about that he's black I mean I really don't. Mace Windu was black, who cares.
    I think the casting is good enough since the non-returning characters are unfamiliar faces (just like in the original Star Wars.)

• I really don't care. I don't know why anyone else does either.

• mace windu was black... it's been done before. calm your tits.

• Mace Windu was black so a black jedi isn't actually a new thing.

• we will know when it comes out how he and the rest of the movie will work out.