So who on GAG thinks global warming is real?

I know there is lots of documentaries on this subject, however good old science says that the earth has had natural warming and cooling trends for thousandsof years. We just had a major glacial period about 10k years ago and we were covered in a kilometer or more of ice... who is to say that we may just be heading towards a natural warming period and then another cold period?

Some of the data streams that they used to model global warming only dates back thousands of years. Thats like a little blip in the grand scheme of things! Interestingly enough, the more recent data (last ten years) suggests the overall temperatures are lowering.

I begin to wonder/question whether all those documentaries and huge amounts of money that we threw at global warming was worth it? Is there enough data to be conclusive, or was it a cash grab?

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think the earth has air quality issues! I am just not sure about how accurate we can measure global warming?

What do you think?

• Yes It is real
  • No it is not.
  • I could care less my great... great... X20 grand kids will have to deal with it!

Most Helpful Girl

• You would have to be an absolutely pathetic, ignorant and probably mentally retarded fool to not to..

• ... and what facts do you base this upon? I am not saying I don't believe we are playing a role, it is just how much of a role are we playing?

• Thanks for your input... I really appreciate getting both sides. Like that you are passionate about the environment, cheers!

• Well thanks for MHO

Most Helpful Guy

• Does the Earth's climate change? Absolutely.

Is anthropogenic climate chance real? That is what I am skeptical of. We wring our hands about saving the planet but the planet doesn't care about us and won't miss us nor will it miss any other species. We like any other living thing are only concerned with our own continued existence and that's why a rising sea level is a threat - because it'll mess with *us*. Did you know the sea level during the last interglacial period was 20 feet higher?

For fun, there's a science fiction book I've been meaning to read called 'Fallen Angels', by a trio of noted sci-fi authors, which posits anthropogenic global warming was in fact the only thing holding back the next ice age!

• I am not convinced if climate change is real or not because changes in weather patterns happens naturally anyway. Also they are comparing it to say 1990 sort of thing which is nothing when it comes to weather.

• Well the girl that mentioned about New Zealand having no ozone layer. That is not true. We did have hole over us from CFCs the world use to admit but the ozone layer has been increasing and we have no big holes over us now. It is true you get burnt fast in New Zealand but that is from the fact our air in New Zealand is very clean and has very little pollution in it.

• That sounds like a good read... yup the polar caps were smaller and the water levels rose. It could still happen. Most of Canada was a tropical environment... who is to say that could not happen again.

What Girls Said 7

• Ice caps melting
    New zealand doesn't have an ozone layer
    Australia has a thinned one
    India most polluted air in the world
    Over crowding
    Sea levels rising
    Resources running out

• I see what you mean, however, what they did not say about the ozone layer is that it naturally thins and changes. I admit the air quality sucks in certain areas and we are likely contaminating our freshwater and saltwater supplies but a lot of what you listed happens naturally too.

Look at volcanoes they spew huge amounts of CO2 atmospheric gases into the environment, more than most industries.

I just wish someone would come out with some real evidence.

• Not sure on that one... I would say the other way around. We have seen even larger fluctuations in greenhouse gases over millions of years. It has been proven by measuring it in ice cores. However, there is tonnes of evidence of impact craters throughout the world of several km long meteors hitting the earth. Look at Sudbury Ontario, the meteor was larger than a city that spans 15-20 km wide.

I think slowly baking with the chance of realizing it and attempting to reverse the effects is better than a cataclysmic meteor hitting the earth has better chances.

• If I could give another girl MH also, it would have been you. Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.

• Yes, it's real. Conspiracy theorists are just trying to show off what they think they know. Sure humanity had a part of global warming to do INNOVATION and the production of goods that sequentially contributed to the change of natural resources. But that's just a price that came with industrial advancement.

• YES ITS REAL!

• I am just not totally convinced. I think our air quality sucks... you can see it in the summer, but we used to get hot humid crappy air quality days when I was a kid.

I am just unsure...

• ohh okay

• Summers do feel a lot warmer though... been noticing that! We get quite a few days in the 80's and 90's now though.

• I think it's real. I need to put more sunscreen daily now as I notice getting some effects from the sun, it's not like it's used to be. 😉

• Yes it's real been happening for millions of years now. You know what? Not a thing we can do to stop it.

• That's what I kind of figured... we seem to be a little blip in what has been naturally occurring for millions of years.

• i laugh at people who think it isn't real tbh.

• It is not nice to laugh at people... when everything we have been told in the past about it has been a lie and unpredictable.

It is likely real to a certain extent, but how much are we contributing? Where are the truths. Our governments will never want to fully disclose these things because it points the finger at industry, so how much do we contribute and how much could be the natural course of the earth?

• In addition, we all contribute, you, I, everyone on here.

• Yes I absolutely think it's real!

What Guys Said 15

• I am not convinced. I am not saying it is not true but I am not sure if it is or not. All those studies seem to be gathering data from such a short time period. The question is is it climate change or just normal weather patterns? I would like to see how different weather is now than it was 1000 years ago rather than what it was like in 1990. Even then weather patterns just change sometime to.

• As for the girl that said about New Zealand not having any ozone well that is not true. The world admitting CFCs 50 or so years ago did deplete the ozone layer but the truth is there are no large holes over New Zealand now and the ozone layer has been increasing not being depleted. It is true that in New Zealand you get burnt fast but that is because of the fact we have such little air pollution in New Zealand. I would rather get burn more easy and have to be more careful with that than breath in polluted air.

• I think the ozone was depleted over the polar ice caps... not New Zealand?

• Asker, yes you are correct actually. It was, it was over Antarctica. I did know this but it did not really sort of click to mention it. Just New Zealand and Australia was affected by it. However, now it is going the other way and the Ozone is is healing very well.

• Global Warming is a hoax that was proven a long time ago, that it was created perpetrated by certain individuals who stood to gain from people believing in it anyone who actually believes in it is a fool.

That being said that's not to say humanity hasn't had a negative effect on the world but that's the price that comes with industrialization, innovation, creation of goods and overall advancement. And if it continues it will ruin the earth but it's not to late to stop that from happening a good start would be if we had an unlimited source of clean energy that would go a long way.

• Yes it's real and just like you say it is natural. Technically we are still in an ice age by the geological definition of the word. However, we are having an effect and increasing the speed of the global warming. You can't ignore the increase melting of glacial ice. We aren't killing the earth like a bunch of hippy idiots are saying. Our concern isn't for the earth it's concern for ourselves when substantial larger amount of water goes into the sea. The earth will always be fine. We won't. Places like Bangladesh are really screwed because there's a lot of people there they're poor and their whole country is on the coast and is like one foot above sea level.

• I think you are right... it is a combination of the two. We maybe exacerbating the issue, but attempting to define it or predict it is impossible.

• It's hard to say. There are always fluctuations in climate, whether that be annual, decadal, centennial, millennial, multi-millennial. I mean, we came out of what is widely known as the "Little Ice Age" at the end of the 19th century. Some people say this was because of the industrial revolution and we've been warming since. But there's no way of conclusively proving it. The experiment would be to have a control where we don't exist and the climate is subject to natural variation in order to test our effect on climate. However such an experiment doesn't exist so we'll never know to what extent we're influencing the climate.

I don't think the argument of whether we're causing climate change is of any importance because the climate will change either by our hand or through natural variability. I think the more pressing issue is what can we do to insulate ourselves from the inevitable consequences of a changing climate both economically and as a global society.

• The one thing we can't deny is CO2's effect on radiation. It reflects heat back to the surface.
    The question then is, how MUCH of an effect will it have? And are we causing enough of it for significant warming to be happening at all?
    There are no reliable models for how much CO2 would have to be produced to significantly warm the earth, and every prediction thus far has been wrong.
    The ice caps were supposed to be gone in 2016, meanwhile the northern caps are still there, though shrinking, but the Antarctic ice sheets are growing by BILLIONS of tons.
    I'm no scientist.
    I'm not feast with math.
    What I do have to consider is why EVERY MAJOR prediction by those saying we're doomed has been wrong.
    I have to consider why the solution to this always seems to be massive increases in government control.
    There are a lot of questions, and I want them answered BEFORE everyone's electricity bill is doubled.

• Nice Answer... I like your thinking. I think the models they used to predict things were based on a couple of hundred year blip.

I would like to see an update, but I imagine it would embarrass a lot of scientists and some pretty fat politicians who frightened into believing the world was going to end.

• frightened us into

• No one seems to care that whether Al Gore was right or not, he's still profited immensely off the whole thing haha

• You can't go through a full science major as i have and still believe that global warming is a hoax

• I took environmental geolgy, biology, and am an environmental consultant. I think we are contributing to it, but am just unsure as to how much is all?

• Schools also often push their own political agendas on students too. They believe whatever will provide them with grant monies.

• It's obviously real. The debate is are humans causing it or not.

• I think it is just interesting to look at the last three to four years as it demonstrates a general cooling and not a warming trend. Yeah we are warm right now but winters seem to be skewed January to April, but still just as cold as they were years ago.

• We don't need hard math here
      Forests shrink
      People grow
      New vehicles made
      New industries built
      More garbage burnt
      So I meann

• @Thatweirdone_ absolutely... I think the forests is the big one... they are our oxygenators so if we keep removing them we have nothing cleaning our air... man-made or natural.

There is for sure an imbalance.

• Just the fact that the ice caps have melted significantly in just the last 100 years is proof enough. Anyone who believes that global warming is nothing but a hoax is a fool.

• Maybe, but there were thousands of year when earth had virtually no ice cap... who is to say that is not a natural trend.

• of course it's real... yes there are natural warm and cold phases but that happens aver a loooooooooong timefrime (you said yourself, the last ice period is like 10k years back). just check the data from the last 50 years or more and look how it exploded. doesn't look very natural to me

• What I also said though is we are not exceeding what has occurred naturally either, and we have shown a slight cooling period. The antarctic ice caps are increasing in size, while the arctic is still going down. It is like our polar areas are flipping.

• yes, of course it is, and the best thing, the entire world has pledged to work on it, together, how awesome is that?

• I will not cross my fingers. I have a feeling as long as the crone's who own the oil companies, etc, are still in control, we will never see an improvement until they are completely depleted.

• The effects of global warming are already in process. It's not a myth and there's plenty of evidence to support that!

• I agree, we are experiencing global warming... but how much is us and how much is natural. As anonymous says below... the predictions have been all wrong, the trends have leveled off and and are actually falling... but even those are blips... what's real?

• Seeing as global warming was being effected naturally over thousands to even millions of years, a big proportion of that was from smoke and diesel fuel from humans. Technology. Burning of fossil fuels.

• Yeah that is a tough one... seeing that most houses burn fossil fuels to stay warm. A lot of people point to big industry, but we all put our fair share into the atmosphere.

• It is real, but in my opinion it actually has more to do with the Sun which is a big driver of Earth's climate.

• Who is to say? How about 90% of the world's scientists? Stop watching Fox News.

• I don't watch the news... I have researched the actual data collected from ice caps, etc. and am just saying we don't now for certain. We are being brainwashed by both sides.

• I think the evidence is for warming and perhaps even for man being a cause but it has so far been far, far less than the models predicted. I recall watching 'After the Warming' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0334827/ in 1990 and all I can say is we are waaay behind schedule on all the predictions.

Basically nobody really knows how the climate works or how sensitive it is.

• Bingo!!! Well said, I think it was a really big push and now it is far less than what they predicted. Meanwhile things have not really changed that much!

• We're finneeeeee guys, just keep voting Republican to keep the interests of the oil companies, okay? This whole thing is just a big conspiracy made by scientists so they can... so... uh...

• I don't doubt we will be fine... I just wonder what it would be like to live here a few hundred years from now or beyond.