Why do people think its "funny" to pick on autism?

I know this is an odd question, but I'd like to know what gives them the gall to pick on autism.

Some people even use it as an insult like "this is so stupid and autistic." Which is cruel because by putting "stupid" and "autistic" in the same sentence, you are saying autistic people are stupid, which isn't the case.

This is especially popular on youtube where stupid people express displeasure for something they hate by insulting autism. I just don't understand people anymore.

Most Helpful Girl

• I really hate people like that. If you're autistic, you can't control it. I'm sure you may also get on others nerves unintentionally and others will pick on you. It's so cruel. My mom is mildly autistic and I just don't respect others who pick on others for having disabilities.

What Guys Said 8

• I don't think its funny at all

• I knew you were gonna mention Youtube because I myself noticed that. I remember thinking what's with all the autism comments after seeing comments like that you said and the 'Autism is strong with this one'. I think it started from some forum, probably the likes of 4chan and got into internet lingo.. I don't know I'm not sure.

• I have 4 nephews out of which 3 are autistic. They are great kids and I'll punch people's light outs if anybody makes fun of them.

• Well my brother is autistic and no one has jokes about it around me. Soo, *shrugs*. I physically threw people out of my house growing up over it. Quite a serious subject.

• Some people are really that insensitive. :-/

• It's a lack of maturity, they're ignorant of pain and suffering or of the value of lives beside their own.

• I think it mostly has to do with the ignorance surrounding the subject.

• What exactly do you mean by that?

• People just don't know exactly what autism is and they assume the person is dumb so they use it as an insult, which is super insulting to those who are autistic and to those who are close with someone who is.

• I have a friend who's little brother is autistic and I know for a fact if someone would do that, I would all Mike Tyson on them lol.

What Girls Said 0