Whats the experience like of seeing a therapist?

I get depressed once in a while and i think im also emotionally unstable. I think part of the reason i dont ecperience life is because i dont know how to keep up with conversations. I've just always been the quiet type andnthats ruinig my chances of making actual relationships with people. I think i need to see a therapist before i get overly depressed but im just afraid. Im kinda pushed to see one cos my sister really thinksnitll help and if she doesn't push me ill probably never fet better. Im just terrified of telling a dtranger about my issues so imnwondering if you guys would tell me your experiences of seeing a therapist so ill feel better. Like what do they usually ask and how does the whole thing work?

Most Helpful Guy

• There's nothing to be afraid of. Therapy does work but its directly proportional to the honesty you put in it. If they ask how is your sex life or how often you masurbate you suck it up and tell them. They're not being nosy. Sex is a normal part of everyday life and if you're not engaging in it they want to know why. It could be medical or psychological if you're not having it. I promise no matter what you tell them your thoughts they will not be horrified and throw you in a looney bin and throw away the key. Good luck

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been to several psychologist through my life as I struggle with depression and other symptoms caused by Bipolar Disorder. Usually they'll start out asking questions about you and then they'll go into your family history and childhood quite extensively because what happened in your childhood shapes you and might have influenced you in a way you never realized. In general they don't always give advice or anything. They rather ask you questions that makes you elaborate and guide the conversation in a way that makes you think about things deeply and then usually you start to see things differently because of it. I can honestly say my psychologists have always helped me and made my life manageable. I've yet to walk away thinking it was a waste of my time.

What Guys Said 3

• Think of it as an adviser in life. The therapist is there to listen and offer suggestions to help reach your goal.

• I've always thought it would be a good idea for me to visit a therapist, but I feel like that's accepting defeat, therefore I've never gone to a therapist, and probably never will.

• It depends on the individual. I only went once. It was absolutely awful for me and only made things worse.

What Girls Said 2

• I know how you feel because I was in the same situation once, even a little suicidal ( but because of different reasons) I'm also quiet and have those same worries as you! I went to see a therapist and it definitely helped! In my first session, mine just asked what was going on, why I wanted to see him, (Then I told him my whole story blah blah) then he would ask more questions to know the extend of my issue (for me, he was concerned about the suicidal aspect so he asked if I would harm myself and how often I had these thoughts... etc) then he just tried to analyze what can contribute to me feeling that way, and from then on, break down each aspect. It was helpful but I kind of healed on my own aswell, I went on hikes and just did a lot of stuff to help better myself eventually I clicked and changed my way of thinking! Hope this helped in some way, best of luck! If you need someone to talk to you can message me! :)

• Was your therapist nice? Im afraid that myntherapist will judge me

• Yes he was nice and they're not suppose to judge you! I think you should look up some reviews online on some therapists near you and see what other people say :)

• i saw a therapist for six months for anxiety since i was experiencing panic attacks at the time. at the first meeting he would ask me why i came, then he'd ask me a bunch of questions like what led to the pain, etc.

on subsequent visits i'd do most of the talking and we'd do some meditation exercises
    to get the most out of your visits, you really have to say what's on your mind. don't hold back. therapy is supposed to be a safe space for expressing feelings you can't to others.