Why are people so sensitive about race, when it's not racist?

So i went to a liberal college because I lived in Seattle (liberal city). I'm not bleeding red republican but I would consider myself more of being on the right side of the political spectrum. I'm white Hispanic and all my friends from school are posting things in Facebook about no allowing your kids to ware racist costumes. Such as Indians, samurai or ninjas because they're racist. Maybe being born in 87 I'm too old to sympathize with These thoughts I never found such costumes racist. Even a guy wareing a sombrero and a poncho I really wouldn't care.
The more I see how sensitive people are becoming it reminds me of Ferenhiet 451, am I just too blind or are people becoming more butt hurt much more easily.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think people like to be too politically correct these days, but we do have to be wary. Some things that might have been "okay" back in the day weren't actually okay, but people didn't have the power they have now to speak about it.

What Girls Said 1

• Samurai and ninjas are racist? Is it because they are costumes representing a different culture? If yes, I don't see anything wrong with wearing them. No orginal Japanese samurai is alive today, to slash you if he sees you wearing his brother's armor.

What Guys Said 7

• i don't think what you're seeing is the feeling at large. OR maybe I too am too old.

I guess at some point you get to a point where you ask what is ok to dress up as? Last year a bunch of my nephews dressed up like women (don't ask me why)... is that offensive to women? as a child a dressed up as a pirate, cowboy, karate person... is that really offensive to those people?

I can see the offensive nature of some costumes but to me people probably need to be a bit less sensitive to most costumes.

• They are people who themselves are afraid of being called racists so a defense mechanism is to accuse everything else as being racist so they seem like they are progressives.

• i agree people are way to sensitive and they are getting worse. i think they should be honored people think people from their culture was awesome enough to be used as a costume

• If you aren't offended by everything then you're clearly a racist.

• Or just not offended by costumes

• Costumes do fall into a sub-category of "everything", therefor you must be racist.
      Also, you're a sexist because women choose to dress provocatively on Halloween.

• You need to read Ferenhiet 451

• What do you mean by white hispanic?

• Listen sucka. I’m blacker than the ace of spades and more militant than you and your whole damned army put together. And while you’re out there chanting at rallies and brow beating politicians, I’m taking out any money frontin’ sucker on a humble that gets in my way, so I'll tell you what. When your so-called Revolution starts, you call me and I'll be right down in front showing you how it's done. But until then, you need to SHUT THE FUCK UP when grown folks is talkin!

• People who suspect they aren't actually very nice really still want to have all those good feelings we get from being good people. They solve the problem by being 'morally superior', moral superiority is something you can do to make yourself a 'good person' without actually being agreeable, generous, kind or truly tolerant. In it's most common form it doesn't require you to do anything at all inconvenient, just believe the 'right things' as aggressively and radically as possible. Also never miss an opportunity to tell other people what they are doing is bad, this makes you good by comparison because you not only aren't doing the bad thing, you are (supposedly) trying to stop it by pointing out how bad it is to others.

See, It's easy! (which is the point really)

• You just mind fucked me

• I try to make it simple. People who shout 'that's racist' at the least provocation are doing it to make themselves feel good, better than you anyway.

• Ahhh, okay. I mean black face and large Asian teeth (stereotype) I can see how they are racist. But a ninja or an Indian it's really reaching the bottom of the bucket