Cashiers! What do you think and how do you feel when a person pays with only coins?

Most Helpful Girl

• I find it kinda funny sometimes actually, when people,( behind the person paying with coins) gets this look on their face lol because I count pretty fast haha it takes like a minute or two, people gotta chill out

Most Helpful Guy

• Are they trying to be a pain in the ass, like revenge by making you count $18.99 in all pennies? Is it a little kid who's saved up to buy something for himself or maybe a gift for someone? Is it someone who's either down on their luck or in a tight situation and literally has no other option?

When I've worked retail and run into that situation it can be frustrating, but what can you do? If it's going to cause the line to back up and would take more than a minute or two to count, maybe let them know that it'll take a while to count it out so you're going to help the other people quickly first, or have them stack the coins to make it easier to count...

If it's the kid situation, it's cute and nothing to get upset about, just chat with them while you count and make their experience a good one.
    If it's the person who's broke or who's credit card for some reason won't work, so they had to scrounge for change under the seat in their car, I'd probably joke with them and make small talk while counting (hey, it's legal tender...)... if it's someone who's just being a pain in the ass intentionally, then move them to the side and ask them to either sort them or group them into $1 increments and then probably not count exactly, just make sure it's close enough (within a buck or two) and get them out of the store.

What Girls Said 2

• as long as they dont years sorting out their change at the till knowing damn well we're busy and i'm the only cashier serving

• Depends if I have enough change or not. If I'm almost out of change then it's like 'awwww yeasshhh'. Either way I didn't mind.

What Guys Said 1

• it didn't bother me when I used to work as a cashier. Almost like a break, actually..