Do you know who you are?

Do you know who you are as a person?

I'm taking a philosophy class this semester and I'm really trying to decipher this one. I don't think I know who I am as a person. I feel like I've mimicked other people's behavior for so long that I've lost contact with who I am. I've always been interested in incorporating behaviors that I've admired in other people to make myself more desirable. I say things that I think people will like instead of what I believe. I share only what I desire and try to conform to the expectations of those I admire. Maybe who I am is just a clever chameleon who can adapt to his social surroundings even if it's only temporary. I noticed that when I spend too much time with one person I slowly become them. Their personality and sayings become my own. It's incredibly unhealthy behavior and most people who know me never get close enough to notice it.

I've realized that I'm super interesting to most people I meet at first because I haven't run out of content yet. After I'm done regurgitating the humor I've stolen from movies, tv shows, and video games, I don't have any original content of my own. Once people peel back this fascinating exterior, I've realized I'm quite barren underneath. I'm great at baiting the hook and reeling in the catch but I never get the fish in my net. I'm not sad or depressed about it but my fear of my own potential shortcomings have prevented me from being ME my whole life. Most of these shortcomings are imaginary as well. Honestly, besides the lack of a real identity, I don't think I have many shortcomings. I have so many natural gifts and advantages that not many people possess in one person but for some reason I've handicapped my personality for as long as I can remember. I've kept it concealed in the hopes that people don't have to see it. I've surrounded it by pretty colors and interesting but unoriginal dialogue.

Who am I? I'm an illusion/chameleon/mimic who is trying to construct a persona of his own making. I'm going to put my best foot forward and be ME. I won't fear being vulnerable. I won't wear an intriguing mask. I refuse to spend another moment being somebody I'm not to get laughs or to impress women. I'm taking control of who I am from this moment onward.

I'm not perfect and I never will be. Now.. Who are you?

Most Helpful Girl

• That was profound.
    I'm almost the same. I find myself being extremely witty when meeting new people. I don't have to steal someone else's jokes, usually I whip stuff up on my own that's relevant to the situation. But slowly I just lose the spark. I don't exactly know why that is. It's not like I'm running out of content, it's more like I don't try as hard to impress. So the witty part of my brain just turns off. It's weird and I don't get it.
    Otherwise I know myself extremely well, I've always been very self-critical and aware. Rarely do I act on impulses or do stuff randomly. I always have a pretty clear motive. I'm stubborn as fuck. I have strong opinions and I follow some very strict rules. I'm definitely not easily swayed (unless we're talking about something harmless, like getting lured into buying some candy or skipping school for a day). I'm generous. I'm loyal. I don't gossip or reveal other people's secrets (most likely because I forget about them pretty quickly). I'm actually not a very forgetful person. I can forget names and dates, but experiences and stuff people have said to me... never forgetting anything. I've surprised my friend so many times with my mad memory skillz that she has actually called me a Remembrall on multiple occasions, lol.
    DAS IT. I guess. In a nutshell.

• (yes I'm still stalking you huhu)

• I'm similar in the sense that it's almost like I give up trying to impress people once I reel them in. I'm awesome as hell for like the first few months haha
      Anyway thanks for sharing more of yourself with me, lumos.

• *rainbow emoji because I'm not on my phone rn*
      :)

Most Helpful Guy

• You're in college so it is the time of self discovery. who I was before and after college were very different. outwardly people may not have been able to tell but certainly mentally and emotionally I was a very different person

I believe around 24 I really started to figure out who I was, what I wanted, what I didn't want, and how to go about getting or achieving exactly what I wanted in life

I do feel like I know who I am now... but that probably could change. Life has a way of throwing curveballs at us that force people to re-evaluate things

• This is very true. Life does throw curve balls. Just gotta keep rolling with it and adapting.

What Girls Said 16

• I some what have an idea. Though having adhd and autism kind of makes it harder to know. Though I guess that is apart of men and how it shapes what I think and like. Do I have any idea of what i'm truly good at? Nope i have no clue what i do that's better than others. Not sure if I have any. Not sure how to turn the things i'm good at into a career. Which is freaking me around the older i get. I feel like I need to be doing something. I just don't know what I need to be doing. Though I do know my personality contradicts itself. Though I guess most people are like this maybe? I know for me I could love one person more than anything. Yet at the same time if i'm not happy I could turn on them and want to hurt them pretty badly mentally and physically. I think innocent but also perverted. I have no idea how other people seem me. I'm 100% blind to how people hear me or see my face expression. When I watch myself in a video. I'm honestly confused because that's not at all like what I was picturing how I was.

Though like you i do the same mimic others. I do that because i do know most wouldn't except how I really am. That weirdness would creep them out. :D Though i'm constantly observing EVERYTHING. Plus i'm extremely sensitive to their emotions. If it changes just barely I will notice instantly.

So the main thing for me isn't who am I. It's "what do you want."That's the question I can't answer.

• You're still young so you have time to figure out what you want :)

• I barely know at all, honestly. I feel like every time I think something about myself, I realize I have an equally present, contradictory trait. I can never choose favorites, I don't feel like I have any real passions, and I get so caught up telling myself how I -should- act that I'm not sure how I actually act. Plus, I have a strong tendency to filter the feedback about myself to remember. So I hold onto the bad things and ignore the good things, but I also know I do it, so... I'm aware that my perception is skewed.

So for now, I don't know. I'm going to try to find one thing I can say about myself with confidence, whether it's good or bad, every day. Until eventually, maybe I'll have a better idea.

• That sounds like a good path to take. I have a tendency to listen to the bad and ignore the good but I've been working on it too.

• You went really in-depth with this. Way to reflect on yourself, habits, and personality and put all of that out there.

I... really don't know how to describe myself, I guess. I see a lot of good things about myself, but I see many negatives as well. I'll just list 'em:

Positives:
    - Intelligence
    - Sense of humor
    - Kindess
    - Easygoing

Negatives:
    - Obstinate
    - Allow others to walk over me
    - Bottle up my emotions

Overall, those are the things that make me who I am, good or bad. This was a good question! It really made me think. :) I would type everything that I am thinking out if I didn't think it'd be too long, haha.

• I know who I am. 100% I am not always who I am purely on the inside, because the person on the inside is confident AND hurt, not just confident. The person I am on the inside is hopeful AND timid... I'm a complex person with a complex personality but I know who I am. What I show is a different story.

• I think I can understand this a bit. The filter between who we are and what we display to the world.

• I do think about my identity sometimes and I think it is a combination of everything of value in my life. Every single thing that I love, everything I detest, every influence from family members and friends, everything I've ever laughed at, every conversation I've had, every smile that I have caused, every accomplishment, even every shameful thing I've done, everywhere I've gone, all the people I've met, every gift I have given, etc. All of those things can only add up to one person in the world and that is me. Now, can anyone else know ALL of this stuff? No. They can only know whatever percentage of these things that have happened with them, and that's who I am to each person I know. Which means everyone knows a different me and I think that's okay because the important stuff is always there with everyone...

I feel like I'm confusing myself now, maybe I need to take philosophy. No, that sounds terrible.

• lol it's not a fun class but it's interesting at times. That's a cool way to look at things though. You are your experiences.

• You're welcome.. It's one of the reasons why I have such a hard time with 10 page essays :p

• Hahaha maybe that's why I'm so good at them!

• No i do not know who the hell I am!

• I like this question.

• I am sorry, that is a tough situation.

• @Justnotthatin2u Yeah... its okay I will try to talk to my teacher and see what I can do.

• You just described every human being on the planet. We all do this, where we copy others, borrow ideas and jokes. If you took away what I learned from others, I'd be empty and we were not meant to be barren. Nice question, hopefully people read the whole thing.

• I have no idea who I am. Absolutely none. I keep thinking I do, but then something happens that makes me realizes that not all the puzzle pieces are in the right place.

• I'm not really sure who I am...

Sometimes, I think i'm 3 different people squeezed into this tiny frame..

I know who many people think I am tho.

• I'm me, full stop. I adapt to social situations and either raise or lower certain levels of who I am depending on who I'm speaking to, but at the end of the day I'm me.

• "We die containing a richness of lovers and tribes, tastes we have swallowed, bodies we have plunged into and swum up as if rivers of wisdom, characters we have climbed into as if trees, fears we have hidden in as if caves."

Aren't we all just a collection of our experiences?

I think everyone has a set of core personality traits that are likely not to change. You have a solid identity, but perhaps you're frustrated with using social gimmicks.

• Yes I have a very good idea of who I am and how I'm perceived

• i naturally stay the kid i've always been
    i have trouble learning new personas.

• For the most part, I feel like I know who I am. I've always been more mature for my age, try to have a positive outlook on life but have my flaws. Some I'm aware of, but others I don't realize them until after the experience. I try to learn from my mistakes. I do mimic how others treat me, back to them. However, I try to be more optimistic and be kind and polite first. If they treat me kindly, I will continue to do so, but if they treat me poorly I become indifferent.

• Thanks for sharing. I also have the problem of only learning some mistakes AFTER the experience instead of during lol

• Sure thing! But the important thing is to learn from them and grow. :) That's what I try to do lol. I'm very adaptable, but sometimes I just can't see what I'm doing wrong until afterwards.

• I know who i am , but i don't know what i want in life.. i know my weaknesses and some of my limitations. I also know what my best qualities are as well as my flaws. What i can't change, i try to accept.

• That's a wise way to live. You have time to figure out what you want in life :)

• Aww thanks for the encouragement!. I appreciate it! 👍

• You're very welcome!

• I get about the. mimicking thing. It hapoes to me too.

I try to not do that anymore. I catch myself if my tune is changing to someone else's.

I am someone who has too many dreams but follows the right ones only.

What Guys Said 5