I always get angry when I hear people say: "God (or 'Life' will never throw at you more than you can handle." Yes, it/He will. Hence, suicide & death?

Why do people say things like that? Who are they trying to fool--me, or themselves?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have been to situation where I asked the same thing and honestly I do agree wuth the saying.

• So glad you got through it. :) You must be very strong.

What Guys Said 3

• This sort of thinking anyones me to no end.
    www.movemequotes.com/.../...-19-worry1-625x869.jpg
    Because the fucking outcome is uncertain, you dense twat! You don't know how it'll turn out, and you don't know what the ramifications will be! Now shut up and fuck off to your wannabeguruland and rub one out to Buddha.

• Bitter much?

• Maybe so. Perhaps the 'dense twat' part threw me off. So what are you saying, exactly? That life does treat us horribly at times and a positive outlook doesn't make things any better? That telling people 'chin up' just makes their day even worse?

• There's a world of difference between "chin up" and "everything will sort itself out, and even if it won't, there's no need to worry about it". "Chin up" is an encouragement to keep fighting. While quotes like from OP and my post look like worldview of an idealistic teenager who hasn't seen how relentlessly life can pound a person into the dirt.

• Yes I have heard this and think we'll he sure is giving quite a challenge with everything I'm been thrown

• I understand what you're saying, and I generally agree. Some people simply refuse to meet certain challenges in life. That's a big part of it, I think.

Also -- while it's a sad reality -- not everyone is equipped to to handle lots of adversity. They don't have the capacity to make that conscious decision to fight.

What Girls Said 6

• Honestly, I think humans are stronger than that. I think we're resilient and resourceful enough that we can persevere through most of what life gives us, but not everyone realizes this. Sure, some things may be harder to overcome than others, but they're not all impossible. Do I believe that the things that happen to us are all orchestrated by a god or divine being? Not really. But we've survived on Earth for this long and through a lot of terrible things. That, to me, shows that we can survive and thrive after more than we may believe.

• Pretty flawed logic.

Good thing happens- praise god!!

Tragedy strikes- the lord works in mysterious ways

Going through a struggle? -god won't give you
    what you can't handle!!

Suicide due to not being able to handle said
    struggle? -you turned the lord away.

• Agreed. I think our bodies and our minds just shut down sometimes. Life can be overwhelming, and the best we can hope for is that we are equipped to handle it or have people and resources to carry us through the times when we can't. And neurological disease affects us in so many different ways. I do believe in drawing strength from the Lord! With all my heart. He has carried me through some tough times. I'm just not so sure about that particular phrase.

• I'm Christian and to me I know God will always be my side regardless of what happens. I've seen plenty people go through hardships coming out in strong faith and I've been severely depressed before too, down in the dumps and even then I managed to get up even if it was hard. If you have faith in God and are religious then you really can handle anything. I'm guessing you aren't religious which is why you maybe don't get it and I understand why then.

• I am a Christian, but I believe that God can't help you unless you open your heart and ask Him to. And some people, in their suicidal state, aren't of the frame of mind to be able to do that. Very sad. And ask any parent who has lost a child if they feel like they can 'handle it'. Or anyone who has starved to death, or is in the middle of being tortured. Our physical bodies can only withstand so much! And I think that is true for our souls as well. :( And yes, as a Christian I recognize that there are things in this life that will go unexplained. Some people just get way more than their fair share of hardship.

• Yeah of course God can't help someone unless they want to be helped. I know it might feel like some people can't "handle" hardships but I've heard many amazing stories of God giving people strength to go through tough situations. My one close friend recently lost her mom to cancer and sure it seems like a whole lot to handle (I can't even comprehend how) but she says God is helping her cope and makes her feel less alone. In a magazine I recall also reading of a woman who was gang raped and tortured by men that her ex husband paid. She is very strong in faith and says too that God has helped her find the courage to make it through the day. There are many situations of people going through difficult situations (The Bible has many too!) but one thing remains the same and that is God's ability to give comfort and peace even in the hardest of time. Some people do go through a lot and I don't believe God ever intends for it to be so but we have the comfort of knowing He's there always!

• My mother has been abused by my father emotionally and physically through the years and she is very religious too. Of course at time it becomes difficult for her to handle things and she gets very upset at times but she always finds comfort in praying and says God helps to take away the pain and without God she wouldn't know how to cope. I've unfortunately also had to be the victim of my father's abuse (not as much as my mother though) and it has been very tough on me but when it all gets too much I just pray and ask God to be with me. It really does help me.

• i think that as a species, we have a very strong capacity to adapt, to reframe events mentally. as long as we can reframe the bad things we sometimes come across, i think we should be okay.

• They fool themselves... Those people are way to postive it kinda hurts!

• Well I think, they gave up too fast.