[SERIOUS QUESTION] ?

I asked this before but did not get any real answers because even today this still bothers me. So why is it when i fart in a jar and seal to save, once i open it later the smell is no longer there? where does it go? I even tried it recently and as soon as i farted in the jar and put the lid back on i sealed it with ducktape. 48hours later its gone!

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know...
    What I'm wondering is why were you farting in jars in the first place?

• originally it was to throw it in a certain persons face.

Most Helpful Guy

• PPM the part of a fart that smells is methane, and it has to be concentrated over the threshold of smell. Methane has a tendency to stick together (otherwise we would never smell them) but does disappate over time. Now let's get to your jar, when it enters the jar it is concentrated but after time it dissapates into the air in the jar, lowering its concentration under the threshold of smell.

What Girls Said 1

• maybe the fart never actually made it into the jar

What Guys Said 1

• i think you're supposed to put it in the freezer after you do it. i don't know the science of a jar, but it probably shrinks the lid so that air molecules escape, which can happen in a room temperature environment.