Why is gambling against company policy but no one does anything against it?

Our company has a very strict anti gambling policy etc... We cater all over the world and especially oil fields. Hence us being cooks we are always a constant as workers come and go but we tend to be always there. Because we are always around we tend to get to know a lot of our clients and have started betting/book keeping. Nothing like oil workers with a lot of money. It doesn't just happen at the location I work at but others. It's a secret everyone knows about but is never addressed or deterred by our home office. Why even have a policy against it? Even the managers for the clients (global oil companies I will not name) bet and place bets with us. Is it just "boys will be boys?"

Most Helpful Guy

• Right now it must not be seen as causing a problem. If it does, like someone doesn't pay up on a bet and it becomes a work issue, supervisors will cite the policy and crack down.

What Girls Said 2

• I am not sure.

• Yeah, sounds like it.

What Guys Said 1