How to be a great debater- (for anything)?

So today, I had to debate with a guy who had inaccurate points. And yes he threw me off. When I told him my points he was like "dafuq?" (Ughh I really want to punch him) like I was fucking stupid. So basically I want advice on how to be a great debater-- on anything.

Most Helpful Guy

• Be well informed about your points AND counter arguments - so you'll know what's coming and how to deal with it
    Don't be afraid to admit when you're wrong - Even if the opposition won't you'll still be respect and it shows you can be fair and unbiased

What Guys Said 7

• A great debater expects what the other people are going to say. They research the topic well and then have a clear and concise notes for each possible outcome.

The big thing is... don't let your emotions overcome you. So wanting to punch him and letting this come out like an "I told you so" attitude in your comments will not win you any points. Don't get offensive... just make your reasoning.

You have to calmly make your point... you can snicker afterwards when you are by yourself.

• You win a debate by being calmer than your opponent.

There have countless arguments where the person got made at me simply because I was speaking gentler than them, everytime I tried to speak they would tell me to shutup lmao.

stay calm, always bring logic - don't bring emotion to a debate.

counter arguments with facts, not opinions - and if you make a mistake, OWN it.

most people in a debate dont own it and thats where they get destroyed - the person keeps dancing around the mistake until by the time you apologize you're already irate and its been escaltated out of your control or its thrown your concentration.

• First of all, don't get angry. If you get angry and start shouting and insulting who's in front of you, people won't acknowledge that you've won even though you make a great point.
    Other than that, make sure you know what you're talking about and try to walk in the shoes of your opponent and try to attack yourself before the debate. It will give you an insight about how your opponent thinks and what may be coming to your way.

• Debating can be as much about making convincing emotional arguments as it is making logical ones. Diving into a series of details can distract from your overall message. And knowing the topic inside and out, especially the opposing talking points so you can immediately counter any argument while still driving home your primary point, can be invaluable.

• Do research , watch other people debate so you can get an idea & practice.. The most important is research. If you know what you are dealing with , you know what to say. Also never say things that you cannot support. Cyanide & Happiness :D

• Talk with people more intelligent than you.
    I have been talking to myself since I was an infant.

• Watch Stefan Molyneux.

What Girls Said 5

• 1) Have all your facts right. Do research and get all relevant info on topics on as many topics as possible. Be socially aware.
    2) You have to be assertive. A submissive personality will not get you anywhere.
    3) Look in their eyes and speak confidently
    4) If you are caught off guard with some new info thrown in by the other side, don't falter, ask them the sources and if they say they just happen to know say then your info is not creditable and look it up later. If they name the source say you'll have to research it yourself to confirm unless they google it then and there.
    5) Be polite. Cursing or being overly aggressive is for the weak, you will seem stronger if you are polite but fault and if you are defeated take it with grace and say something to compliment them to show you aren't a sour loser.

• Lol. I remember when I was like that. You're asking how to better yourself at arguing with others, not debating

I would advise keeping calm, throwing subtle jabs, and sticking to logic and FACTS. (Only irrational people think that their opinions are facts.)

I tend to insult people, counter their argument, add facts and repeat though.

(It gets very tiring though... or at least, it has for me. The sheer amount of stupidity and illogical arguments that I get from the other party just makes it seem like a waste of time. I used to like arguing, because I held this notion that if someone challenged you, you had to step up to the plate. I've since learned that if some fool wants to challenge and they do. not. think... it would simply be a waste of time. I prefer a simple exchange of disagreements... though I fail continuously and have done so even tonight).

• - Don't become angry, no matter what the other person says.

-Don't utter one word about topics you know little to nothing about... this will be exploited immediately by the other person if their knowledge is more extensive in that particular area.

-Respect the other person... don't say they or their opinions are stupid, just try and make them understand your point.

-If you know beforehand a debate will take place, do some research, ESPECIALLY on a multitude of different opinions.

• There's a new book out called "How to Be Right" by Greg Gutfeld. Haven't read it, but the title intrigues me. Studying logic and philosophy has helped me exponentially. It truly shows you how to punch holes in peoples arguments and when they make no sense. Try looking into the Lincoln-Douglas debates. I'm about to, and they were they greatest debates in American history.

I have a little anecdote along similar lines. So, I'm a Civil War buff. Love talking about it and debating it. My friend, who usually hates me talking about it, got into a debate with me. Just as I was getting flustered, I remembered my backpack. It just so happens that my history class was studying the civil war and I was bringing stuff to show my teacher. In my backpack. Hehe. The look on her face was priceless when I pulled out folders of direct sources and articles. Ah, that was a good day.

• hmm.. People like that get on my nervous!