Is this an offensive high school mascot?

So, this mascot belongs my my high school's rival school and there's been some controversy around it. The mascot was changed from beavors to bombers in 1945 right after World War 2 ended. Our area was big participant in the Manhatten Project. The plutonium used in the Fat Man was manufatured here.
So what do you guys think?

• Yes, I think that's offensive
  • No, I don't think it's offensive.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a cool name. Honestly, if someone's "offended" by that, they have a small tolerance level.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope. Not at all. I think it's very clever to be honest. I also think people need to get over themselves.

I understand being sensitive... but there are A LOT of OVER-sensitive people (I call them uber-sensies).

What Guys Said 21

• Why would it be offensive? Everyone gets offended by everything nowadays, it's ridiculous.

• It is only offensive to idiots who are looking to be offended and have no understanding of history.

• In today's day age everysingle thing is offensive or can be and if it you have to take it down cause it hurt their feeling's people's feeling's are more important than the truth apparently that's the generation of today.

• Well some people will be and some won't. Do I think people are oversensitive? Yes.
    I don't see it as offensive.

• A mascot should be something friendly and child-friendly, not one of the most controversial moments in American history resulting in the death of tens of thousands of people. My school mascot was the Aztecs, and they got rid of the logo of a man in an Aztec headdress because it was culturally insensitive or something.

• The R reminds me of the Team Rocket emblem. That's definitely offensive! Do you have any idea what Team Rocket did?

• Bombers kill. A reference to killing is misplaced.

• NO! It's real Cold War history! Keep the mascot!

• If it's referencing a black mark in history like that then yes. That was a bombing that resulted in too many civilian casualties. It is not to be celebrated like that.

• They are obviously terrorists! ARREST THEM!

• No, how the fuck is that offensive?

• I don't know. I'm waiting for someone to explain their reasoning.

• I think it is cool and original

• No there's nothing wrong with it at all.

• What is the potentially offensive bit?

• I wouldn't know. I don't see it as offensive either.

• I think so

• Offensive how, why and to whom? Did someone fart?

• Well, it's based off of something that killed over 40,000 people on impact. So that might by why.

• oh, maybe to them then LOL

• Not unless you're japanese

• They couldn't have made it more offensive if they tried. fOrtunately everyone hates the Japs.

• Do u think its offencive

• Bombers kill.

As do knights, warriors, barbarians, spartans, etc.

As do wolves, lions, tigers and all other predatory animals.

• This site is like Tumblr, I'm done.

What Girls Said 11

• I can understand why it may be to some but I personally am not offended. It's 2015, not back then... and it's a mascot... so much more to be offended about in this world right now...

• It's offensive if you're a sensitive person I guess. So many mascots could be offensive.

• Just kind of stupid in my opinion

• Oh come one, there is nothing wrong with this.

• It's not offensive...

• Your area was highly invested in the Manhattan Project which, while it did kill a lot of people, ended up ending a war where thousands upon thousands died and making huge scientific advances. Nothing wrong with that, and no reason to be offended

• No.. not really?

• its honoring the regions history. how could that be offensive?

• Not necessarily "offensive", but definitely arrogant.

• Since it has historical reason, I don't see a problem with it. As long as you're not bragging about bombing this place or that place it's not offensive.

• I guess it could be, but I've seen worse.