Do any other girls start feeling really depressed around their periods?

I always know it's about to start because I suddenly start feeling like shit. I can't stop thinking all these terrible things about myself, how I'm ugly and pathetic and worthless, I'll always be alone, I'll never accomplish anything, nobody likes me (and why should they), I'm stupid, disgusting, etc.. I cry constantly and sometimes even feel like I just want to kill myself.

I used to think I was depressed, but then I noticed how it always flares up right before that time of month, and by the time I'm done bleeding, I'm mostly normal again.

Do any other girls experience this as a symptom? How do you deal with it?

And just to be clear, I don't mean I'm depressed ABOUT my period, just that these bouts of depression seem to be a symptom since the timing matches up, every time.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I feel really ugly and depressed when I PMS. It sucks but it's completely normal.

The hormonal fluctuations we experience before and during our periods are known have a direct affect on our moods. Also, annoying PMS symptoms (like acne break outs, breast tenderness, feeling bloated, cramps, etc.) may also put you in a bad mood.

I always make sure to go to the gym a lot because it makes me feel better (mentally) by helping me release endorphins, those feel-good hormones.

• Although if you feel like your depression is at an extreme before/during your period, birth control may help with that. Just an option! Otherwise, like I said, this is completely normal.

• Yeah, I feel like women drew the short straw as a gender, haha. I know there are good things, but periods are such a huge negative!

Honestly the suicidal feeling happens more often than I'd like. I had to actually drop out of college last year because it was so bad, it was affecting every part of my life. I couldn't convince myself to get out of bed 25% of the time, so my grades plummeted and my relationships suffered, my self-esteem was shot, eventually everything became so stressful that I felt depressed all the time and... I had packed up half my room before I even decided to drop out, because I wanted to make it easier for whoever had to collect my things once I was dead. I was that close. I took some time to pull myself together, I'm in classes again, but... yeah. It's a problem.

Sorry for rambling, lol. I guess I just don't deal with it as well as everyone else seems to. :/ Anyway, sorry that you have to deal with period moods too. I hope it doesn't get too bad!

• Wow, that sounds awful. If it tends to affect your life to that extent then I'd probably honestly try to see a doctor and see what he or she has to say about it.

What Guys Said 1

• Quite normal. Just one of the side effects of the hormone shift.

What Girls Said 2

• They do , WE do. That feeling that you are on your period sucks

• YES AND NO!!!

• Yes and no? What do you mean?

• sometimes I do Sometime I don't!

• Oooh, okay. Sorry you experience it sometimes too. :(