Why are people mean to quiet people?

Why do a lot of people think shy, quiet or introverted people are weird and why do they say mean things about them?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because they are "easy" targets, unlikely to do anything to retaliate in any way.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people like to assume that because they're quiet they won't fight back and so pick on them to appear 'tough'. I would say that I'm quiet/introverted and I've had quite a few people try and take advantage of that. It always surprises them when I defend myself.

What Guys Said 9

• Cause they think quiet = weakness
    Til you stand up and fuck their shit in.. then they wanna act like the victims

• I think they see them as "weak" and "easy targets", but only in high school. Afterwards I think they just don't care as much.

• Because face it. Quiet and shy people are more difficult to talk to. It takes more effort to get them to open up and speak.

I know this because I share some of those qualities.

• So? Does it give people the right to act mean to them?

• Best advice I can give: Make friends with people who are at least somewhat outgoing. Preferably, have them be at least somewhat large and intimidating.

That works out pretty well for all of my introverted/quiet friends.(I being the large and intimidating one.)

• They think that just because you're not a loudmouth, you won't kick their ass.

• You always hate and fear what you don't understand. Unless a person fills in the blanks somebody else will do it for them and never in a good way. There's being too quiet for your own good.

• Because they know that we're secretly plotting worl domination in our heads

• I'm quiet and people aren't mean to me, they ignore me and carry on with their day.

• people who are too quiet deserve the death penalty

What Girls Said 11

• Because they assume that everyone's default way of behaving is the same as theirs (or should be), and for them silence is a negative thing, so they tend to think quiet people are arrogant, aloof, mad, unhappy, etc.. They also occasionally feel like our silence is judgmental, so then they get uncomfortable and defensive.

Basically, it's a whole lot of misunderstanding and false perceptions, which can all result in them behaving rudely in return. Most people seem fine with quiet people, though. :)

• Well, I noticed that when in groups people tend to leave introverts alone. Some understand that they don't like to talk too much but some decide they should judge them for it behind their backs.

• I don't say mean things about them! Instead, I just tease the hell out of them, like @dangerdoge 😁

• I don't know maybe they are haters!

• They re mean to you prob because you keep quiet when they annoy you.
    Maybe you don t speak uo, and they take it as a sign of weakness

• Actually no. I do speak up if people are mean and they always seem surprised about that and usually never say anything again. It's always people who don't really know me who does it.

• Yes exactly quiet people come across as docile which is a prejudgment.
      Don t mind then they re stupid.
      Just keep them in place ;)

• I get made fun of for being quiet, but to be honest that's just the way I am. I will speak up and state an opinion when I want to - whether people ignore me or be mean to me, it's up to them. I personally don't care what they think of me, I have close friendships with a few people and that's enough for me. People just seem to think that if somebody is quiet, it's easy. You can say whatever you want about someone, and they won't speak up because they're quiet - it's only the problem of those who tease you about it, as long as you are happy with yourself and don't care what others think, then it isn't your problem.

• The shy people won't usually talk back or stand up for themselves. Shy people are easy to make fun of I guess

• its because they are quiet so they won't really try to protest when someone is being mean to them...

• because they think we are easy targets think about it.

• Because they probably couldn't be quiet for seconds and r jealous of the fact they can be or they are just generally rude

• They think they are so innocent and won't talk back to you if they do treat you badly.